I finally came over to the dark side.......

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 5

I finally came over to the dark side.......

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I got my first AK today, a Romanian “GP/WASR-10/63” from CAI. I don’t know if the furniture is OEM or if the guy I got it from tarted it up, but it comes with a fixed synthetic stock, synthetic forend, rail, and what looks like an A2 birdcage type flash hider. Right up front, it has a wonderful trigger, so I’m thinking that the previous owner must have upgraded it. It has a slightly long pull, but it is very light, and breaks nice and crisply. It feels kind of like a Kahr PM9 or Sig P320 trigger, and seat of the pants is about 4-5 lbs. The rifle also has a solid side scope mount and a sling.

I’m sure I overpaid, but it was in a good cause. I was helping out a family from our church (they are in our son and daughter in law’s lifegroup). He’s in rehab, and his wife has been having to sell off a lot of things and move to a smaller home to get themselves out of the trouble he spent them into. I got the rifle (which appears to be in pretty good condition), 5 PMAGs (30 rounders?), a plastic case, and a steel ammo can with 440 rounds of ammo in it, for $1,000.00 .....delivered to my door. I really have no idea of what AKs are worth, or whether or not this is a decent one, so I don’t know if I got a good deal or not, but it doesn’t matter to me. A dear couple whom I know and like too are in trouble, and they needed help.

If anyone knows, clue me in. Did I do OK?

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 2

Re: I finally came over to the dark side.......

Post by anygunanywhere »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I got my first AK today, a Romanian “GP/WASR-10/63” from CAI. I don’t know if the furniture is OEM or if the guy I got it from tarted it up, but it comes with a fixed synthetic stock, synthetic forend, rail, and what looks like an A2 birdcage type flash hider. Right up front, it has a wonderful trigger, so I’m thinking that the previous owner must have upgraded it. It has a slightly long pull, but it is very light, and breaks nice and crisply. It feels kind of like a Kahr PM9 or Sig P320 trigger, and seat of the pants is about 4-5 lbs. The rifle also has a solid side scope mount and a sling.

I’m sure I overpaid, but it was in a good cause. I was helping out a family from our church (they are in our son and daughter in law’s lifegroup). He’s in rehab, and his wife has been having to sell off a lot of things and move to a smaller home to get themselves out of the trouble he spent them into. I got the rifle (which appears to be in pretty good condition), 5 PMAGs (30 rounders?), a plastic case, and a steel ammo can with 440 rounds of ammo in it, for $1,000.00 .....delivered to my door. I really have no idea of what AKs are worth, or whether or not this is a decent one, so I don’t know if I got a good deal or not, but it doesn’t matter to me. A dear couple whom I know and like too are in trouble, and they needed help.

If anyone knows, clue me in. Did I do OK?

Of course you did good. You aren't the widow who gave her last cents, but you helped out the needy. God Bless you my brother!
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

anygunanywhere wrote:Of course you did good. You aren't the widow who gave her last cents, but you helped out the needy. God Bless you my brother!
Thank you anygun. Pretty much everybody in their lifegroup and circle of friends helped out by buying something she was selling; and they probably all paid more than the actual value of whatever they bought from her. I think I was the last one because she had held off selling her husband’s rifle until the end. I don’t mind if I “overpaid”, but I would not feel right about it if I had taken advantage of them. That’s why I asked if I did OK. I just want to know that I didn’t take unfair advantage of their need.

I remember when my friend showed me this AK about a year ago, and he said it was his favorite long gun; but you know.....I’ve always been an AR guy. I kind of feel like I did after I put my 1911 away and started carrying Glocks. :lol: But I’m pretty ignorant about AK stuff, so I don’t really know what I’ve got here.
Last edited by The Annoyed Man on Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

mayor

Post by mayor »

You may have overpaid some, but the star in your crown will be worth MUCH more than what you overpaid.

Topic author
The Annoyed Man

So I have a question.... are scopes that are side-mounted to AK receivers fairly stable and reliable? If so, I’ll probably pick up a Primary Arms 1-6x ACSS scope for it.

#TINVOWOOT

mayor

Post by mayor »

I have one on mine with some kind of a dot scope, that I can't remember what it is, that works fine.

MechAg94
Posts in topic: 1

Post by MechAg94 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:So I have a question.... are scopes that are side-mounted to AK receivers fairly stable and reliable? If so, I’ll probably pick up a Primary Arms 1-6x ACSS scope for it.
They can be. The best side mount I have seen is the one Midwest Industries sells. It is adjustable to tighten it down if it gets loose.

For the scope, I like the primary arms Prism scopes. Smaller and compact while giving 3X or 5X magnification. Adjustable scopes are great, but not small in size.

TheFriscoKid
Banned

Post by TheFriscoKid »

You will have a slight parallax issue for windage but looks like elevation will be right on with bore.

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Beiruty »

The Annoyed Man wrote:So I have a question.... are scopes that are side-mounted to AK receivers fairly stable and reliable? If so, I’ll probably pick up a Primary Arms 1-6x ACSS scope for it.
Solid like a rock with that side mount. The Barrel flexes more tho.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Beiruty »

Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Weg

Post by Weg »

Don't know anything about the side mounts, but I put a Texas Weapon Systems mount on mine (replaces the dust cover) and have had no zero wandering problems at all.

rotor

Post by rotor »

You will like your AK for sure.
I have the following mount..
http://www.k-var.com/sm-13-next-generat ... k-variants
Works very well. I have a Burris red dot.

Never had a problem with my AK-47.

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

I've had a WASR for a long time, but it's pretty much an ugly safe queen. From prone and using a stump for a rest, I've actually got 3" groups with it at 100 yards with nothing but the open sights. You may want to do some reliability testing with the PMAGs. I had to return some mags so many years ago that I forgot the maker, but mag dealer (at gun show) told me the WASRs don't like much except steel mags.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”