Funner than chunkin rocks at a sign!

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 2

Funner than chunkin rocks at a sign!

Post by cmgee67 »

Took my New Mossberg 590 shockwave 12 gage to range today and it’s about as much fun as you can have with your clothes on.

I’m incredibly glad I bought it when gun buyer had it at 299$. It’s an absolute “blast” (pun intended) to shoot. I patterned a few buckshot loads out of it to see which patterned the best and it liked. I also shot some bird shot as well as some 3” magnum steel shot loads. The gun can be a handful if your not careful. It is a lot easier to shoot than I expected but I grew up on shotguns. The only
Upgrade I lack is a light and I’ll be done with it. I’ve already got the light I just need the mount and rail section. If you don’t have one of these you need one!

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Funner than chunkin rocks at a sign!

Post by RoyGBiv »

Still on sale today for 299.

Great post. I can see the smile on your face.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

cmgee67 wrote:Took my New Mossberg 590 shockwave 12 gage to range today and it’s about as much fun as you can have with your clothes on.

I’m incredibly glad I bought it when gun buyer had it at 299$. It’s an absolute “blast” (pun intended) to shoot. I patterned a few buckshot loads out of it to see which patterned the best and it liked. I also shot some bird shot as well as some 3” magnum steel shot loads. The gun can be a handful if your not careful. It is a lot easier to shoot than I expected but I grew up on shotguns. The only
Upgrade I lack is a light and I’ll be done with it. I’ve already got the light I just need the mount and rail section. If you don’t have one of these you need one!
Pretty much my experience. Total blast, though I did not shoot any 3" mag rounds. What Buck Shot did you use to pattern and what ranges. I used OO Buck Spartan and Federal Flite control LE #1 Buck from 3, 7 and 16-2/3 yards. I posted some of the targets. The #1 stayed pretty tigh;t the 00 spread a little more.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Topic author
cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

puma guy wrote:
cmgee67 wrote:Took my New Mossberg 590 shockwave 12 gage to range today and it’s about as much fun as you can have with your clothes on.

Pretty much my experience. Total blast, though I did not shoot any 3" mag rounds. What Buck Shot did you use to pattern and what ranges. I used OO Buck Spartan and Federal Flite control LE #1 Buck from 3, 7 and 16-2/3 yards. I posted some of the targets. The #1 stayed pretty tigh;t the 00 spread a little more.
I tested the 2 3/4” Federal Power shock 8 pellet 00 low recoil 1140 FPS , 2 3/4” Remington low recoil 9 pellet 00 1200 FPS , and 2 3/4” Winchester 9 pellet 00 1325 FPS.

The Remington kicked more than any of them and was like a mule was in front of my face. The federal was pleasant and controllable, and so was the Winchester. I shot each from 5, 10, 15, and 20 yards. They all really grouped about the same but the federal and Remington grouped the tightest and out of those two the federal was a tad better. I didn’t notice any real difference until I got out to about 15 yards. I haven’t tried any federal with the flight control wad but it’s on my “to get” list. I keep the federals in it that I shot. I’m not planning on taking shots out past 25-30 yards so really any of the shells I shot would work. I have seen the flight control tests and it does seem to group very tight even to greater distances.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

cmgee67 wrote:
puma guy wrote:

I tested the 2 3/4” Federal Power shock 8 pellet 00 low recoil 1140 FPS , 2 3/4” Remington low recoil 9 pellet 00 1200 FPS , and 2 3/4” Winchester 9 pellet 00 1325 FPS.

The Remington kicked more than any of them and was like a mule was in front of my face. The federal was pleasant and controllable, and so was the Winchester. I shot each from 5, 10, 15, and 20 yards. They all really grouped about the same but the federal and Remington grouped the tightest and out of those two the federal was a tad better. I didn’t notice any real difference until I got out to about 15 yards. I haven’t tried any federal with the flight control wad but it’s on my “to get” list. I keep the federals in it that I shot. I’m not planning on taking shots out past 25-30 yards so really any of the shells I shot would work. I have seen the flight control tests and it does seem to group very tight even to greater distances.
:thumbs2:
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Here is a pic of mine. It has a light/laser combo on the top rail. Very easy to activate from my standard grip position.

I also got one in 20 gauge but to be honest the recoil isn't terrible in 12 gauge, so I haven't bothered to trick out the 20 gauge version. It's not something I want to run 100 shells through at a time, but emptying the mag tube is no problem.

PBratton

Post by PBratton »

I'd like to see one of these patterned with the Winchester Defender loads.
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

I have heard they were fun with the Aguila mini-shells also. I might need to keep an eye out for that price.

nimravus01

Post by nimravus01 »

I've had a lot of fun with my Shockwave. For the range, I just shoot cheap field loads. But, for HD, I think the Aguilla mini shells are the best option.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”