Looking at Glock 43 w/ext mag and Shield, the problem is..

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Looking at Glock 43 w/ext mag and Shield, the problem is..

Post by Abraham »

Now, there's the M&P Shield M2.0 vs the original.

What's the difference and are there other models of the M&P Shield? I guess the newest iteration is too keep the market continuing to buy. Or...? Frankly, if the original Shield did a great job, why create the M2.0? Was the original found to be lacking in this or that as time revealed, thus the M2.0 came about?

I want a lightweight, 9mm, yard and house gun I can rely on, but it can't weigh much more than a Ruger LC9S. Carrying a pistol while doing yard work from post hole digging to chain saw work to... means it has to be light.This was my first choice and has so far proven unreliable. Unreliable chambering and ejecting, nope, not for me. Yeah, I'll shoot it some more, but if it continues to exhibit problems, it's be sawn into itty bitty pieces and disposed of.

Plus, do the lightest Shields compare well vs. the Glock 23?

Grundy1133
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Looking at Glock 43 w/ext mag and Shield, the problem is..

Post by Grundy1133 »

on S&W's website they tell the differences between M1 and M2. basically from what ive read, a lot of cosmetic changes to the slide, and less recoil. the recoil was never a problem for me with the M1 tho so I don' tplan on getting an M2 unless something on my M1 breaks. also they stated that mags, and holsters and any M1 accessories are compatible with M2. which is pretty cool.

EDIT: heres a link that compares the 2 https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/new-sm ... ds-review/
NRA Member

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

The M2.0 Shield's trigger is supposed to be similar to, perhaps better than, the Performance Center model 1. I have a PC Shield and the trigger is great, also have a regular M1 Shield and the PC's trigger is definitely better. Haven't had the opportunity to shoot a M2.0 Shield yet.

Can't give you any insight to the Glock as all my pistols are S&W.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

bblhd672 wrote:The M2.0 Shield's trigger is supposed to be similar to, perhaps better than, the Performance Center model 1. I have a PC Shield and the trigger is great, also have a regular M1 Shield and the PC's trigger is definitely better. Haven't had the opportunity to shoot a M2.0 Shield yet.

so whats the deal with the M1 trigger? i have a M1 full size M&P 40 and the trigger doesn't bother me. I've read that people hated the M1 trigger for some reason. Is it because you have to pull the trigger all the way down before it fires?
NRA Member

extremist
Posts in topic: 1

Post by extremist »

Triggers on the 2.0 guns I've tried are much better than the 1.0 guns.

Lighter and crisper reset.

YMMV.
TX LTC Instructor, NRA Endowment Life Member, USPSA CRO
NRA Handgun/Rifle/Shotgun/Home Firearm Safety, Chief Range Safety Officer

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

The grip texture is more aggressive on the 2.0.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

Grundy1133 wrote:
bblhd672 wrote:The M2.0 Shield's trigger is supposed to be similar to, perhaps better than, the Performance Center model 1. I have a PC Shield and the trigger is great, also have a regular M1 Shield and the PC's trigger is definitely better. Haven't had the opportunity to shoot a M2.0 Shield yet.

so whats the deal with the M1 trigger? i have a M1 full size M&P 40 and the trigger doesn't bother me. I've read that people hated the M1 trigger for some reason. Is it because you have to pull the trigger all the way down before it fires?
I don't know, never shot a M1 M&P. However, after I got my full size M2.0 and took it to a class, one of the instructors shot it and raved about how much better the trigger was and that he would remove the M&P from his personal "wouldn't own one" list.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Topic author
Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Wow, what great responses.

The one thing notmentioned is reliability...

I've already sent the LC9S in once to the factory and have been advised by others to re-connect with Ruger CS given my latest problems, but I gotta tell ya, that a heck of a bother.

Fact is, I've never had a gun from Glock, to Remington, Browning, Mossberg, and I'll stop there, but there are/were others in my list of current and former guns and NOT ONE had to have the factory fix it.

So, of course I want something reliable.

...and as mentioned, weight plays no small part in the next yard/house gun I buy.

This is not for EDC, just yard and house carry. The weight factor plays little part in my EDC, so I then carry a G19 fully loaded with a spare loaded magzine. Man, I can tell ya, just filling a giant hole an armadillo dug up under my driveway with the weight of the LC9S, I could really tell the weight drag...and short of a derringer, it's very light weight. Just not reliable.

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

i havent heard any thing bad about M&Ps as far as reliability. that includes the full size shields and compacts. buddy of mine said he hated the M&P because he couldnt find anything wrong with it. the only thing hementioned was he read that a stress test done on the M&P line didnt impress him. apparently the anount of rounds you canput thru the shield isnt as high as similar models. but since its not an EDC and just for around the house I don't think youd have any issues. i would say go to youtube and look at M&P shield M2 reviews but people are biased depending on who you watch so i wouldnt recommend that unless you watch multiple reviews from unbiased youtubers. but all in all it really depends on how it feels in your hand. as long as it fits well in your hand and doesnt feel heavy... but id stay away from diamondback DB9. ive seen many negative reviews about them. from ejection malfunctions to the slide locking back (even tho the gun has no slide lock). also I've heard that taurus guns would fire without having the trigger pulled. definitely not a good thing... but it reall yjust depends on how much you wanna spend. Like the old saying goes you get what you pay for, and it's no different with guns.
NRA Member

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

bblhd672 wrote:
Grundy1133 wrote:

I don't know, never shot a M1 M&P. However, after I got my full size M2.0 and took it to a class, one of the instructors shot it and raved about how much better the trigger was and that he would remove the M&P from his personal "wouldn't own one" list.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PCo7ZNdbOo

he says the trigger is the same but everything ive read says the trigger is different. also i disagree with him about needing new holsters S&Ws website says themselves that M1 holsters mags and accessories and compatible with the M2. I assume its casue hes comparing a .40 and a 9mm
NRA Member

rotor

Post by rotor »

If the magic words are rely on than you can't go wrong with either gun. Glock is slightly lighter, 6+1 capacity. Shield slightly heavier and I believe with 7+1, 8+1 mags. Shield can be obtained with or without external safety.
I have a Glock 43 that I frequently carry open in DeSantis miniscabbard. Can't tell I am carrying.
Wife has the Shield 1 performance center which has the ported barrel, better sights and supposed better trigger. I don't care for the limits of the ported barrel. Use a DeSantis miniscabbard also.
As far as shooting, in my hands they feel the same. Why does my wife have a Shield, she wants the external safety.

If the new shield has a better trigger than it probably is like the old shield performance model. If you are going to use this while working in the yard I don't think the trigger matters that much and I don't think you can go wrong with either gun. The Shield 1 and Glock have a million youtubes and as far as I can tell are pretty equally matched up. Both are great guns.

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

Glock 43

nuff said......

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Glock 43 for me too.....but that said.....

If all you’re looking for is a yard gun and capacity is not so much of an issue, just get a scandium j-frame .357 magnum. WAY more pop than a 9mm, and while Glocks tend to be dead nuts reliable, it’s hard to beat a revolver for reliability and simplicity.

Mine is a M&P340 (speaking of the M&P line): https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/m ... ernal-lock
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

TAM how is that compared in size to the 642? My wife has the 642 and I love that little gun. I would like to get one as well but I’d like the 357 option instead of only 38’s.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

cmgee67 wrote:TAM how is that compared in size to the 642? My wife has the 642 and I love that little gun. I would like to get one as well but I’d like the 357 option instead of only 38’s.
I have the 340PD and they are all the same size, J-Frame revolver.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”