Reduced Recoil Defense Ammo?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Keith B
Posts in topic: 4

Reduced Recoil Defense Ammo?

Post by Keith B »

With the wife getting into shooting we are seeing that recoil is a big issue for her. I personally am not a fan of anything smaller than 9mm or .38 special. She has settled on a .38 snubbie, but the recoil is still a bit harsh.

Has anyone had any personal experience with Hornady's Critical Defense Lite or any other reduced recoil ammo? https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/hand ... fense-lite#!/
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Reduced Recoil Defense Ammo?

Post by WTR »

I bought my Mom ( 86) some Federal Premium 110 gr low recoil loads in .38 spl.. She was comfortable with them. She shot box of 20. S & W 586 4" barrel. Wad cutter mild loads for practice

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Keith B wrote:With the wife getting into shooting we are seeing that recoil is a big issue for her. I personally am not a fan of anything smaller than 9mm or .38 special. She has settled on a .38 snubbie, but the recoil is still a bit harsh.

Has anyone had any personal experience with Hornady's Critical Defense Lite or any other reduced recoil ammo? https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/hand ... fense-lite#!/
I am interested in this as well for my wife.

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

reduced recoil or muzzle flip? If its not the actual recoil thats the problem but the muzzle flip, it would be worth reading this maybe? http://www.guns.com/2015/04/06/10-ways- ... ke-a-boss/
NRA Member

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

When my wife changed to .38, this is the ammo we got for her to use. She had changed to a .38 from a 9mm due to the arthritis in her hands with both recoil and racking the slide issues with the 9mm. The first group of .38 we used was standard loads. She admitted it was better than the 9 but still a bit much. Bought a box of the Hornady lites and she said it was much better. Now that is what she is equipped with.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

oljames3
Posts in topic: 2

Post by oljames3 »

Percieved recoil force can be very subhejtive. My wife was carrying a Ruger LCR .38 with low recoil ammo. Now she carries a Walther PPS M2 (9mm) and prctices with it. For her, 9mm is much easier on her hands.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Topic author
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

oljames3 wrote:Percieved recoil force can be very subhejtive. My wife was carrying a Ruger LCR .38 with low recoil ammo. Now she carries a Walther PPS M2 (9mm) and prctices with it. For her, 9mm is much easier on her hands.
Yes, I understand perceived recoil is different with every gun/ammo combination. Looking to reduce the recoil on the .38 Ultra-Lite, so interested in ammo that will do that in her gun.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

oljames3
Posts in topic: 2

Post by oljames3 »

Keith B wrote:
oljames3 wrote:Percieved recoil force can be very subhejtive. My wife was carrying a Ruger LCR .38 with low recoil ammo. Now she carries a Walther PPS M2 (9mm) and prctices with it. For her, 9mm is much easier on her hands.
Yes, I understand perceived recoil is different with every gun/ammo combination. Looking to reduce the recoil on the .38 Ultra-Lite, so interested in ammo that will do that in her gun.
Our experience is that "low recoil" ammo was not the solution. It did not make a significant difference, to my wife, in felt recoil. She enjoys shooting my S&W M&P M2.0, 9mm, 5inch. She has tried several different pistols and revolvers. She found that the Walther PPS M2 was the easiest on her hands, fit her grip best. and was the easiest for her to manipulat the slide. Her Ruger LCR .38, with its Federal "low recoil"
ammunition, is now relegated to BUG status. I carry it more than she does. For us, for her, "low recoil" ammo was not the answer.

If you do succeed in finding the elusive magic bullet, I would be very interested in giving it a try.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Topic author
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

oljames3 wrote:
Keith B wrote:
Our experience is that "low recoil" ammo was not the solution. It did not make a significant difference, to my wife, in felt recoil. She enjoys shooting my S&W M&P M2.0, 9mm, 5inch. She has tried several different pistols and revolvers. She found that the Walther PPS M2 was the easiest on her hands, fit her grip best. and was the easiest for her to manipulat the slide. Her Ruger LCR .38, with its Federal "low recoil"
ammunition, is now relegated to BUG status. I carry it more than she does. For us, for her, "low recoil" ammo was not the answer.

If you do succeed in finding the elusive magic bullet, I would be very interested in giving it a try.
Thanks for additional info. :tiphat:

Will let you know when we find the 'David Copperclad' magic bullet. :biggrinjester:
Keith

Chaparral

Post by Chaparral »

Hornady .38 Sp Lite is nice-shooting in an air weight J-frame or LCR. Noticeably less recoil than standard Critical Defense.

Topic author
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Chaparral wrote:Hornady .38 Sp Lite is nice-shooting in an air weight J-frame or LCR. Noticeably less recoil than standard Critical Defense.
Thanks! :tiphat:
Keith

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”