Customer Brass

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
ET-Ret
Posts in topic: 1

Customer Brass

Post by ET-Ret »

I was wondering how most of the ranges deal with the idea of the customer or member
Picking up their or some brass that was left by some other shooter. Also was told at one indoor range
you could not sit on a stool and shoot. So I wonder how Gov Abbot would be received.
ET-ret

carlson1

Re: Customer Brass

Post by carlson1 »

ET-Ret wrote:I was wondering how most of the ranges deal with the idea of the customer or member
Picking up their or some brass that was left by some other shooter. Also was told at one indoor range
you could not sit on a stool and shoot. So I wonder how Gov Abbot would be received.
ET-ret
Shoot Smart in Grand Prairie always makes a chair available for me. I have seen others picking up their brass and I have never seen a RO stop or correct anyone.

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

I had that issue at quail creek range north of ft worth, I was sighting in my M1 Garand, I had my son (he was 10yo at the time) chasing brass, the "Range Master" yelled at me and my boy over him picking up my casings, he said when they hit the ground they belonged to the range. I informed him that was MY brass and I certainly would pick it up! We finished shooting and left, NEVER went back and that was 16yrs ago! My brass I paid for it, I will pick it up!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

strogg
Posts in topic: 3

Post by strogg »

Most ranges take the brass and sell them for some extra money, so they don't take kindly to customers walking around and picking up random brass. But I've never seen a range that prohibits the shooter to police his/her own brass. Some indoor ranges may say not to pick up anything from in front of the firing line for safety reasons, but that's about it. I don't think it'll be any trouble if a shooter picks up his/her own brass, then gifts it to the shooter in the next stall. I've done that before in the past, and I've had others hand me some of their brass too.

Grundy1133
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Grundy1133 »

strogg wrote:Most ranges take the brass and sell them for some extra money, so they don't take kindly to customers walking around and picking up random brass. But I've never seen a range that prohibits the shooter to police his/her own brass. Some indoor ranges may say not to pick up anything from in front of the firing line for safety reasons, but that's about it. I don't think it'll be any trouble if a shooter picks up his/her own brass, then gifts it to the shooter in the next stall. I've done that before in the past, and I've had others hand me some of their brass too.
the range i go to has a big sign when entering the range that says "ALL BRASS STAYS ON THE RANGE" lol.
NRA Member

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Grundy1133 wrote:
strogg wrote:Most ranges take the brass and sell them for some extra money, so they don't take kindly to customers walking around and picking up random brass. But I've never seen a range that prohibits the shooter to police his/her own brass. Some indoor ranges may say not to pick up anything from in front of the firing line for safety reasons, but that's about it. I don't think it'll be any trouble if a shooter picks up his/her own brass, then gifts it to the shooter in the next stall. I've done that before in the past, and I've had others hand me some of their brass too.
the range i go to has a big sign when entering the range that says "ALL BRASS STAYS ON THE RANGE" lol.
In that case, I would invoke my rule... "ALL MONEY STAYS IN MY POCKET".
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

circumspice_tuebor
Posts in topic: 2

Post by circumspice_tuebor »

My local ranges don’t have an issue with picking up my own brass. At the closest, an indoor range, I mention to the RO’s that I’d like to keep my brass. Assuming it’s not too busy, they will cordon off a space on the back/side wall where they sweep it. I also tell them to not be picky if something else gets in there, and also that I understand that their primary job is safety, so “don’t go out of your way”.

I try to be “chill” about it. I got a little testy once when an RO was sweeping my stuff into the floor grate after I mentioned my wishes, but I regretted it and apologized profusely. He had always done right by me previously, and he didn’t deserve my attitude.

On one occasion as I was packing up, another patron was helping himself to my brass (area on the back wall). He had a ‘bucket o bullets’ container and was eagerly scooping it up. I mentioned it was my brass; he got defensive and loud, so I finished up and walked out. Not worth the aggravation.
Micah 6:8

rotor

Post by rotor »

I guess if they have a sign that says "All Brass Stays at the Range" or something equivalent than you have to go along or treat it like a business with a 30.06 and go elsewhere.

People, you need to move to Wichita Falls. North Texas Field and Stream, $40 yearly membership, skeet,trap, sporting clays, 5 stand, (you pay minimal extra for those) and multiple outdoor ranges to shoot at and you can pick up your own brass and a ton of everyone else s brass. Hardly anyone seems to bother with brass nowadays. May not be real fancy and you need your mud boots after a rain but a great place to shoot. Every time I hear the mention of $20 an hour for a shooting spot I cringe.

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

rotor wrote:I guess if they have a sign that says "All Brass Stays at the Range" or something equivalent than you have to go along or treat it like a business with a 30.06 and go elsewhere.

People, you need to move to Wichita Falls. North Texas Field and Stream, $40 yearly membership, skeet,trap, sporting clays, 5 stand, (you pay minimal extra for those) and multiple outdoor ranges to shoot at and you can pick up your own brass and a ton of everyone else s brass. Hardly anyone seems to bother with brass nowadays. May not be real fancy and you need your mud boots after a rain but a great place to shoot. Every time I hear the mention of $20 an hour for a shooting spot I cringe.
lewisville has ha $20 for all day shooting (indoor range) but $40 yearly membership, cant beat that! unless you have your own home range that is..
NRA Member

strogg
Posts in topic: 3

Post by strogg »

Grundy1133 wrote: lewisville has ha $20 for all day shooting (indoor range) but $40 yearly membership, cant beat that! unless you have your own home range that is..
That's where I normally go shoot. I like how the RSOs there not only help me pick up my own brass, they usually start pushing other people's brass in my direction thinking it's mine.

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

strogg wrote:
Grundy1133 wrote: lewisville has ha $20 for all day shooting (indoor range) but $40 yearly membership, cant beat that! unless you have your own home range that is..
That's where I normally go shoot. I like how the RSOs there not only help me pick up my own brass, they usually start pushing other people's brass in my direction thinking it's mine.
I've been wanting to check out the Eagle range for awhile... I'm in cooke county and i dont ever get south of denton or hickory creek very often.
NRA Member

spectre
Banned

Post by spectre »

Policies like that make me want to shoot steel cased ammo. :evil2:
I'm in a good place right now
Not emotionally or financially
But I am at the gun store

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

spectre wrote:Policies like that make me want to shoot steel cased ammo. :evil2:
underneath that sign is another that says brass casing only lol. but to be honest they dont check.
NRA Member

flechero

Post by flechero »

AndyC wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:
Grundy1133 wrote:the range i go to has a big sign when entering the range that says "ALL BRASS STAYS ON THE RANGE" lol.
In that case, I would invoke my rule... "ALL MONEY STAYS IN MY POCKET".
:iagree:
Same here... we have a nice indoor range with good A/C and great ventilation system. I was excited to visit and get a tour. I overlooked the high gun counter prices and anxiously went on the 2 cent tour. About 2/3 the way through the tour, I commented at 2 - 5 gal buckets of brass next to the broom... I mentioned that I reload and would collect my own brass. He said they ask customers to sweep it but they are not allowed to pick it up! All brass belonged to the range! and they only allow factory loaded ammo only- NO HANDLOADS - I thanked him for his time and cut the tour short. :banghead:

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”