Just shot the Rex Zero 1 compact for the first time

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
strogg
Posts in topic: 2

Just shot the Rex Zero 1 compact for the first time

Post by strogg »

Today I went ahead and put my newest pistol through the paces. I bought the pistol because it's about the size of a Glock 19 (or p229, really), it's a hammer-fired design, and it resembles a Sig P226/9. Oh, and also because it's supposedly super reliable according to online videos and reviews (for whatever that's worth).I love the looks of the Sig P229, but I can never justify spending the extra cost for a Sig. Frankly, I don't think it's worth the additional cost, considering it's really only the looks I'm after. I'd rather stick with FN or HK for my DA/SA needs. It's just personal preference.

The trigger feel is excellent. It's predictable, smooth, and has a clean crisp break. The double action pull is quite heavy, but it is buttery smooth and predictable too, so I can't really complain about it. I'd rather have a heavier clean trigger than a lighter gritty trigger.

The ergos are excellent. I never have to worry about resting my right thumb on the slide release, so it will hold open last round every time.

It is also stupendously accurate. 15-round, 3-inch groups at 10 yards is an utter piece of cake.

Recoil is pretty manageable and as expected for a pistol that size. Nothing to write home about. There is next to no difference when shooting regular 115 grain range ammo and hotter gold dots. I kinda noticed it when I mixed the ammo together, but not really.

As for reliability, well, out of over 100 rounds, I had one FTE. It loaded the next round, but the outgoing brass hung up at the ejection port. Pulling the brass out was all I had to do. I will attribute that to its break in period.

The overall fit and finish of the firearm is both excellent and terrible. You can tell it's a cheaper gun lacking in forged or hardened parts, but for what the Slovenians had to work with, they did an excellent job putting it together. The tolerances were absolutely perfect. Just loose enough that it works out of the box, but tight enough that it won't wear out and die on you prematurely. It also feels strong enough that it should last at minimum several thousand rounds without a single bad hiccup. But then, the tolerances are definitely too tight in some places. The slide feels like it could use a good break-in period (super stiff when it's all the way back). The mag release definitely needs a break in period; it's very stiff. I exercised it a bit in the vice, so it's much better now. The slide release is also super tight. That will break in too, but it will take a while. It's one of those things I'll let it do naturally on its own. Until then, I gotta use both thumbs to release the slide when I put in a fresh mag.

Overall, I like this gun a lot. It's fun, but it's not the best pistol I shot by any stretch of the imagination. It definitely works as a range toy, but I wouldn't put it in the top 3 of best range toy pistols I own. I can't imagine the full size Rex being that either. No way. Rather, this found a spot in my top 3 conceal carry guns (the other two being the LC9s and the Five-seveN). This is due to the ease of shooting, accuracy, the feel of reliability, the ergos that work for the goofy hands I have, and the ease and comfort of concealment.

The Marshal
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Just shot the Rex Zero 1 compact for the first time

Post by The Marshal »

Thanks for the review.

Pictures??

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

I have the larger tactical model with threaded barrel. I recently got the Hogue G10 grips with checkering for it. IMO, the extra firmness of the grip makes a big difference. I didn't think the OEM grips were slick, but the extra friction of the Hogue grips feels better. I would recommend them to anyone getting a Rex Zero 1.

I haven't had any failures at all on mine. Good shooting pistol.

Topic author
strogg

Post by strogg »

Good point. I'm planning on getting the Hogue G10 grip panels (probably gray or black) in the future. The OEM grips do feel kinda cheap, but they work, so I can't complain. The most important part of my grip (not necessarily yours) is the front and back of the grip anyway. The grip texture on the sides are just a bonus.
20180321_080852.jpg
20180321_081417.jpg
20180321_080924.jpg

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

I tend to agree on the front/back grip. I never had any issue while shooting. It was more about handling of the pistol outside of shooting. Confidence that I can draw and such without losing grip.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”