.45ACP is still my choice for handgun caliber

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
ml1209
Posts in topic: 2

.45ACP is still my choice for handgun caliber

Post by ml1209 »

I like the fact that it is lower pressure than 9mm, and also moves slower. With a hollow point, it should not be as likely to overpenetrate in dense urban areas. Don't get me wrong, I like the 9mm a lot, and is my choice for carry. But home defense goes to .45ACP.

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 4

Re: .45ACP is still my choice for handgun caliber

Post by Excaliber »

My EDC's are usually .45's.

I sometimes carry 9mm when capacity may be important, but I favor the big heavy bullet for nearly everything else.

Yes, I know the wound channels look the same and recoil recovery is quicker with the 9, but in my experience the .45 takes the fight out of BG's with fewer shots than the 9. That may not always be true, but that's what I'm going with.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Commander Cody
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Commander Cody »

My choice as well.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson USMC 1967-1970 101st. Underwater Mess Kit Repair Battalion - Spoon Platoon.

PBR

Post by PBR »

It's all I have in pistol (well 1 22lr) so it's all I carry for defense. I know 9mm has changed a lot but I'm still old school I guess, but also I'm a big guy so 45's actually fit my hand better than 9's. Like mentioned I know 9's have changed but it still sticks in my mind the few shootings I seen happen live. 1 involved a 9mm and 40 the subject was hit 7 times while never going down. He continued to walk a little ways before falling down dead. 2nd involved a .45 two shots and subject was down and out. 3rd involved a .44mag one shot and subject was down, alive when left scene but can't remember if made it or not. While being a big guy 44 is little much to carry so I stick to .45acp. Just to note all 3 shootings were police involved that witnessed and had to go before grand jury on 2 of them (which is horrible to do).
Houston, Tx.
DPS Received - Jan. 26th
Received Pin# - Feb. 25th
IN HAND!!!!!! June 9th

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Here we go again1 "rlol"
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

PBR

Post by PBR »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Here we go again1 "rlol"
about every 6 months or so? :woohoo
Houston, Tx.
DPS Received - Jan. 26th
Received Pin# - Feb. 25th
IN HAND!!!!!! June 9th

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Yes, let's do.

I'm really, really liking my new S&W Shield EZ in 9mm Kurz. Granted, it's not a tank destroyer but it sure is a lot more comfortable on my aged back/hip than is my SA 1911 Compact. I suspect any gun battles that I get involved in won't last much longer than 8 rounds....one way or the other. :leaving

MechAg94
Posts in topic: 7

Post by MechAg94 »

IMO, overpenetration has become too big a focus on this stuff. I think making sure you can shoot your chosen carry gun well and hit your target are more important (and use reliable self defense ammo). Misses are far more dangerous down range than over penetrating rounds though I wouldn't want to get hit by either.

That said, you can do that with 9mm, 45 acp, 357 magnum or whatever fits you best. I like 45 ACP, I just find that the 9mm pistols have good capacity in a good size/weight for carry. However, I am always on the watch for a better option for 45. I was sort of hoping FN would make an FNX-45 compact. I like that pistol.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

9mm Killed 100:1 than 45 ACP.
Almost all LEO and Military world wide uses 9mm.
Trust me you would not wanted to be shot with a double tap of 9mm HST or Gold "D". Ehmmm, "D" is for Death.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

strogg

Post by strogg »

Why choose? I carry both.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

strogg wrote:Why choose? I carry both.
As do I. I have any number of .45 guns but I also have a Sig. P938 as a BUG. Its the only 9mm in the house and I got it when my wife moved to a .38 revolver.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

Yeah, but it's a fun discussion. :lol:

And I carry both, depending on the situation. But I prefer a .45.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

montgomery

Post by montgomery »

Beiruty wrote:9mm Killed 100:1 than 45 ACP.
Trust me you would not wanted to be shot with a double tap of 9mm HST or Gold "D". Ehmmm, "D" is for Death.
100 rounds of 9 mm for every round of 45 ACP? Sounds about right.

:iagree: "rlol"

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

montgomery wrote:
Beiruty wrote:9mm Killed 100:1 than 45 ACP.
100 rounds of 9 mm for every round of 45 ACP? Sounds about right.

:iagree: "rlol"
I'm not sure that raw death count is the best evidence of the efficacy of a round, but I'll play along. Are we counting WW1 and WW2 in these stats? If we go back to the Civil War, we probably need to add musket balls to the discussion.

Personally, I carry both. I also carry 12 gauge shotgun shells and 5.56 mm ammo in my HD and trunk guns. So I should be OK regardless. And I "don't want to be shot" with anything, not even a rock from a slingshot.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I prefer shooting .45 ACP to 9mm, but I carry 9mm because that’s what my wife carries. In fact, I carry Glocks because that’s what my wife carries. I can adapt myself to pretty much any self defense caliber and gun platform and shoot it reasonably well, but she cannot. She’s not a gun person; not an enthusiast. She carries one simply because it makes sense to her to do so; but she has zero interest in guns or shooting as a hobby. The fact that she owns two Glocks, a .22LR rifle, a .38 Special revolver, and an AR15 carbine is strictly a result of being married to me. If left to her own devices, she’d have one small handgun. Therefore, I carry 9mm Glocks, so that if something should happen to me, she can pick up my gun if need be and be familiar with its feel, operation, recoil, etc.

Left to my own devices, I’d probably still be carrying a .45. However, I do not feel particularly vulnerable because I’m not carrying .45s anymore. Yeah, maybe two .45 ACP holes = three 9mm holes.....or some such....but a 9mm bullet to a light switch will turn off the lights just as fast as a .45 will. I don’t intend to miss, but even if I do, my little G26 has 13 rounds on board (a +2 magazine plus 1 in the pipe), and two 12-round mags in reserve. That’s enough to put anybody down, and if it isn’t, then .45 ACP won’t either, and there are bigger issues. That’s why I prefer having a long gun nearby. A 5.56x45 from a 16” barrel beats either pistol caliber hands down.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”