Tailoring summer weight suits for CC

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
flechero
Posts in topic: 3

Tailoring summer weight suits for CC

Post by flechero »

For those that wear suits... Do you have your tailor line the jacket of light weight suits, around your weapon area?

I wore a new suit the other day and noticed this particular suit was very light material (summer weight) and the butt of the gun printed much more than I recall in the past... Having always worn heavier weight suits, I never noticed much/any print. It seemed like some form of lining might help or even alleviate it. (I even thought about a super light "insert" between the lining and outer material. I realize I could have the jacket let out a bit, but it seemed more an issue of the thinner material than an ill fit. (although I am a few lbs more than when it was originally tailored) I typically wear my gun at about 8:00 (Lefty).

Any suggestions from the suit and tie crowd?

Thanks!

RossA
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Tailoring summer weight suits for CC

Post by RossA »

When I buy a new suit or sport coat, I always wear my typical gun and holster.
I tell whoever is doing the alterations that I need to be able to button the jacket without the gun printing, so he knows not to take it in too tightly.
Naturally, this means buying a larger size than I would buy if I wasn't carrying, but that ship sailed years ago.
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

Topic author
flechero

Post by flechero »

I did wear the gun when I had this suit fitted originally... maybe those few "new" lbs are just in the wrong place for this jacket's cut.

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

I avoid the issue by concealing under the dress shirt, in a belly band (variously positioned). It is accessible through an unopened button, which is conveniently covered by the tie.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

Grundy1133

Post by Grundy1133 »

I don't think I've ever had a suit tailored... I've worn a suit 2 times in my life. A funeral and my high school graduation lol
NRA Member

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Tailors can do wonders. A little thread nip, a little thread tuck and bingo, for the most part the bulge goes away....mostly.

As to wearing suits.

I was kitchen help at 9, later a ranch hand, later still a dairy farmer (though only as a hand) and the list of what I did to earn a living by hard labor, goes on. Being filthy and poor was an accepted part of my life as long as my Dad was in charge. I was also homeless for many years. So what?

Eventually, through effort and education, yes, I had to wear suits to work. I worked with Presidents and Executive V.P's of a large number of corporations and traveled the world on company jets. Big deal. People rise, people fall...or in my case, retire.

The basic me remained. Like our President, though often feted with gourmet fare, my taste in food remains pedestrian. No apologies. I like good basic food. Yeah, I like a few minor gourmet items. Warm brie on toast for one, caviar anyway you care to serve it, and so one, but mostly I'm quite content with a good cheese burger. Having been way down and way up ...one's get to choose. Basic for me. Peasant at heart I remain...alright enough of my vulgar ego...

Pay the extra bucks for your tailor it takes for your tailor to hide (the best possible) the gun you prefer to carry.

It'll never hide completely. At least not to the scurtiny of experts.

Accept that and don't accept the anxiety as something to concern yourself about.

Why?

No one cares or generally pays enough attention to care, unless their pros and when/if they know your status adn you're considered one of the good guys, they too will be be good with it.

Topic author
flechero

Post by flechero »

I agree 100% with a good tailor... small town living now, so it's much less convenient to find.

Never had an issue with the heavier weight suits which drew the original question. I do wear the gun a little further back now than I used to- limited mobility in my shoulder dictates that.

Like you I no longer wear a suit to work... but do enjoy the suit every month or two for a special occasion.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I am in suits at least four days a week. I always have my jacket tailored so I can wear OWB and still button the coat.
RossA wrote:....Naturally, this means buying a larger size than I would buy if I wasn't carrying, but that ship sailed years ago.
They no longer make a suit one size larger than I am now. :smilelol5:

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

I do not wear a suit but do, on occasion, wear a sports coat. I have 2 of which both have been tailored to carry OWB if needed, as well as to fit my uh, rather round belly.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”