Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Flightmare
Posts in topic: 1

WILSON COMBAT INTRODUCES THE “HARDEST HITTING AR CARBINE EVER PRODUCED”

Post by Flightmare »

http://tribunistdaily.com/wilson-combat ... -458-hamr/
The HAM’R is designed from concept to completion to be the hardest hitting, most powerful (practical size) AR platform carbine ever produced, exceeding the ballistics of the .450 Bushmaster, .458 SOCOM and .500 Beowulf.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4MchUjFw68
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

mrvmax
Posts in topic: 4

Re: WILSON COMBAT INTRODUCES THE “HARDEST HITTING AR CARBINE EVER PRODUCED”

Post by mrvmax »

I’d prefer the Big Horn Armory 500 auto max.

http://www.bighornarmory.com/catalog/bi ... to-max-16/

LeonCarr

Post by LeonCarr »

Man, that 500 Auto Max looks like a stomper :smash:

Neat concept with the proprietary parts and all, but realistically what will the HAM'R do that the much cheaper to build and shoot .450 Bushmaster, .458 SOCOM, or .50 Beowulf won't do?

Just my IreallylikeARschamberedinstompercartridges .02,
LeonCarr
"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher

jason812

Post by jason812 »

Depends on what one calls an practical. http://www.petersenshunting.com/gear-ac ... -omen-458/
when shot-putting 500-grain slugs downrange at 2090fps
That's 200 more grains at same speed. Not cheap by any means and full custom but it doesn't get much bigger than 458 win mag.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Abraham »

And a target for such a rifle would be: ?... as it doesn't like fun or inexpensive to shoot.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Abraham wrote:And a target for such a rifle would be: ?... as it doesn't like fun or inexpensive to shoot.
Those who have a lot of money and want to have the biggest and baddest thing around. Same target market as manufacturers like Ferarri, Louis Vuitton, Rolex, and Wilson Combat (the rest of their products).

Or did you literally mean "target" instead of "target customer"? The actual target / backstop might be an issue here since it can go through a brick wall.

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

Abraham wrote:And a target for such a rifle would be: ?... as it doesn't like fun or inexpensive to shoot.
I’ve got a Rock River X-1 in 458 SOCOM and it works well on pigs.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

The target is obviously large dangerous game, particularly if it has turned on you and is charging at you. In such a capacity, a large bore magnum semiauto platform would have an advantage over bolt guns, lever actions, double barrels, drillings, or single shots.

That said, I have exactly zero desire to own such a thing. I’m not afraid to try shooting one; I just have no desire to own one. Largest caliber rifle I have fired to date - a friend’s .375 H&H magnum. It was OK. I still don’t have a huge desire to own one.There’s just nothing out there I’d be hunting that needs something that powerful, and the buy-in and ammo cost are prohibitive for me. The lone exception.... I’ve always wanted a bolt action safari rifle in .416 Rigby; but that is more for romantic literary reasons rather than any kind of real need, and I still can’t really afford a nice one.

Some time this year, I’ll be acquiring a .45-70 lever action (most probably a Henry), and that’s about as big as I have any desire to go in a rifle platform. I do have expensive tastes, but most of these things are well out of my ability to afford them anyway; so even if I had the desire, I’d have no means of fulfilling it.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Abraham »

Soccerdad1995,

I was quite literally meant targets, not markets. Though, you do bring up a great subject.

Who buys these guns?

And, I'm not against them, I just don't understand wanting such punishment as they probably deliver once the trigger is pulled....

TAM,

I'm not heading to Alaska or Africa where I'd need such a thumper. I had enough of big things that go boom in the Army.

mrvmax,

So what's left after being hit by one of these cannon's?

Bloody Mist?

Plus, what's the cost for an average rounds?

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

Abraham wrote:Soccerdad1995,

I was quite literally meant targets, not markets. Though, you do bring up a great subject.

Who buys these guns?

And, I'm not against them, I just don't understand wanting such punishment as they probably deliver once the trigger is pulled....

TAM,

I'm not heading to Alaska or Africa where I'd need such a thumper. I had enough of big things that go boom in the Army.

mrvmax,

So what's left after being hit by one of these cannon's?

Bloody Mist?

Plus, what's the cost for an average rounds?
It actually didn’t do a large amount of damage, it just provided an instant kill. I can say the same for 375 H&H. Recoil doesn’t bother me but I don’t think the 458 is bad at all. I hand load for all my rifle calibers (6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5 Grendel, 300 Blackout, 300 Win Mag, 45-70, 375 H&H, 308 Win) so once the brass is purchased it’s not bad. Id guess .50 a round for powder and bullet but I picked up a lot of Nosler ballistic tip seconds that work well in it. I anneal the brass as needed to make it last longer. I’m one of those people that like large calibers, there’s just something about shooting a big thumper.

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
That said, I have exactly zero desire to own such a thing. I’m not afraid to try shooting one; I just have no desire to own one. Largest caliber rifle I have fired to date - a friend’s .375 H&H magnum. It was OK. I still don’t have a huge desire to own one.There’s just nothing out there I’d be hunting that needs something that powerful, and the buy-in and ammo cost are prohibitive for me. The lone exception.... I’ve always wanted a bolt action safari rifle in .416 Rigby; but that is more for romantic literary reasons rather than any kind of real need, and I still can’t really afford a nice one.

Some time this year, I’ll be acquiring a .45-70 lever action (most probably a Henry), and that’s about as big as I have any desire to go in a rifle platform. I do have expensive tastes, but most of these things are well out of my ability to afford them anyway; so even if I had the desire, I’d have no means of fulfilling it.
The 458 SOCOM was developed to give the military more power in an AR15 platform. I don’t recall if it was 2016 or 2017 but Cabelas had a sale on the Ruger #1. It was a few hundred less than my wholesale cost, I think it ended up being around $800 with their veteran discount. So I picked one up in 375 H&H and put a Leupold VX Hog 1-4 scope on it and I love it. I also have a Marlin lever action in 45/70 and I use 550 grain hard cast bullets made by JB Young. They are probably the most expensive thing I shoot since the bullets are $1 each and that uses a bit of powder. It is fun to shoot though.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”