Kahr P9

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
ml1209
Posts in topic: 2

Kahr P9

Post by ml1209 »

Anyone have one? How does it compare to the Shield 9?

Wag2323
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Kahr P9

Post by Wag2323 »

I have a CW9. The Kahr is slightly thinner and the trigger is a longer pull but it doesn't really have creep it in, it is a smooth pull.

If you look up how a Kahr operates you will see the striker needs to be pulled back with the trigger quite a ways compared to other striker fire designs. That's how they get that smoother pull I assume.

mescobar_rpls

Post by mescobar_rpls »

All of the Kahr pistols that I have shot have great triggers. That are long, but they are extremely smooth.

I have a K9 (all stainless model) and it runs great. If you are in the Georgetown (just north of Austin) area, I would be more than happy to let you try it out. :fire

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

I had one years ago. I didn't realize they were still selling it. Very accurate for me. I can't remember having any issues with it cycling while shooting, but I recall it didn't like being dirty. Had feed issues when manually loading from a mag occasionally. I don't have it any more. I don't have negative view of it, but I was never 100% comfortable with the reliability for carry. I think it was fine with a round in the chamber, but I moved on to other carry guns and sold it later.

I have never fired a Shield. I would trust my XDs in 45 more than the Kahr if I had to make a call. The XDs has been 100% reliable.

RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

If the trigger is anything like the CM9, it is a delight. Think of a long revolver trigger that has been tuned to be as smooth as possible.
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

Diesel42

Post by Diesel42 »

I have a K9 and a T9. I love them both.
I moved to a 1911 45 for EDC now. The Kahr design is great for concealment and the steel versions I own are easy to keep on point.
Hope that helps.
Nick
Nick Stone
Have Truck, Will Travel
NRA Life Member

philbo
Banned

Post by philbo »

Owned a P9 for years and carry it often. Both pistols are about the same in overall width, length and height, but Kahr manages to squeeze a 3.5" barrel into the package while S&W can only get a 3.1" barrel in the shield. The only other real difference is the trigger system... S&W is using a more traditional striker fired design, while the Kahr is using a striker design that requires a longer trigger pull. If you like a double action revolver with a smooth action for carry then you will love the Kahr. If you like a glock style trigger then the shield is going to rank higher. The only reason I' have the Kahr at this time instead of a Shield is I already mags and holsters for the Kahr for carry when the shield was released and saw no advantage to reacquire all that by buying a new Shield. At present I have a Kahr P9, PM9, TP45, CT380, and P380 that get carried regularly. Great pistols each and every one.

One last thing to consider is the type of grip you employ. If you like the thumbs forward grip on these small pistols then the Kahr may not be for you. I have watched many shooters suffer irregular FTF's with my P9 that has always been flawless for me. The difference is their insistence on using a thumb forward grip instead of a revolver grip with this pistol and invariably I've watched malfunctions occur because their thumbs are dragging on the slide during recoil and interfering with the cycling of the pistol. Each time, once the shooter has adjusted their grip, the P9 runs like a champ. The lesson here is if you use a thumbs forward grip and can't shoot any other way, then the Shield is more likely to be your friend as it seems more forgiving of drag on the slide than the Kahr's do.

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

I have a PM9, and it's great. The only fail to feed I've ever seen was when doing something the manual explicitly says not to do - if you don't use the slide release to chamber the first round, you may get a fail to feed. I you drop the slide, like the manufacturer says, it feeds fine.

The smooth trigger come from a cam-shaped sear. One thing I like, it has about an eighth inch of engagement with the striker. I've recently added a concern about striker guns to my overly-paranoid outlook on life.

Any play between the slide and the frame on a striker gun is potentially wiggling the sear engagement surfaces. The Kahr has so much of a "bite" on the striker, any wiggling seems to be no concern.

Another thing I like about the Kahr's action is it resets the firing pin block as part of the disconnect. Some guns, like the P320, don't.

On the other hand, the disconnector is a follower that is cammed down by the slide, and it causes the slide to feel a little bumpy when you cycle it.

I carry my PM9 frequently. It's a tiny gun that will hit the target at 25 yards.

RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

I didn't know the part about using the slide lock on the first round instead of pulling the slide back. Got the gun used with no manual.
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

Topic author
ml1209

Post by ml1209 »

I will have to say, this is a handy little gun. It's almost cute.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”