Civilian Markmanship Program

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Setxjeff
Posts in topic: 2

Civilian Markmanship Program

Post by Setxjeff »

I guess we overwhelmed the CMP 1911 web site after receiving an email from cmp about having new information.
It seems to be down/offline.
TSRA Member
M1 Garand Collectors Association

equin
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Civilian Markmanship Program

Post by equin »

I got the same email from them but haven’t checked their website yet for the additional info. I’d really like to have one of these collector items, but I’ve wavered on whether I’ll try to purchase one through the the CMP given the really high public interest already garnered. I’m guessing interest will remain high throughout the years, too.
Ed

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

Sorry, but over $1,000 for a service grade 1911 and over $800 for one that is listed as pitted and will require work to be serviceable....

Glad I have a 5 digit 1911 I bought in 1973.

Understand that these are "actual military 1911," but in the condition I saw them in on active duty as well as the conditions described, not sure they are worth that much. Maybe it is just me..... :tiphat:
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

flechero
Posts in topic: 1

Post by flechero »

AF-Odin wrote:Sorry, but over $1,000 for a service grade 1911 and over $800 for one that is listed as pitted and will require work to be serviceable....

Glad I have a 5 digit 1911 I bought in 1973.

Understand that these are "actual military 1911," but in the condition I saw them in on active duty as well as the conditions described, not sure they are worth that much. Maybe it is just me..... :tiphat:
Agreed, I was really excited when I first heard of this possibility years ago but recent info has me pretty disappointed. I want a deal on something cool like the ol 2 ton trucks that went for $100 and people drove them home!! (I mean we already bought it once, right??)

equin

Post by equin »

Yeah, no sooner than I posted did I get another email with the pricing info on their website that crashed. The prices looked high to me, too, but I admit I don’t know enough yet about valuing pistols like these. Doubt I’ll buy one at those prices, though. Despite the pricing, I think they’ll still sell like hotcakes given everyone’s interest in them. I mean, their own website crashed from the amount of interested folks like us wanting to know more about how to get one.
Ed

Topic author
Setxjeff

Post by Setxjeff »

Having paid $1000 for a like new 1943 M1 Garand ( new barrel,wood ect) :There is no way I would pay $850 for a pistol that the cmp states it has to be repaired to work.
M1 Garand built 5,468,772 WWII cost $85 dollars
M1911 2.7 million built. WWII cost $15

I do not understand CMP pricing
TSRA Member
M1 Garand Collectors Association

AF-Odin

Post by AF-Odin »

Yep, would have believed about $800ish for service grade and $400-$500 for the rack
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

G26ster
Posts in topic: 3

Post by G26ster »

I think the point of these 1911s is being missed. They are just like the Garands, and M1 Carbines sold by the CMP. They are "history" and not meant to compete with modern civilian 1911s. They are collector items. They will "auction" those that are deemed most collectible, and "sell" those less collectible. A mildly beat up "original" that has not been rebuilt will always be worth more to the collector, than a polished up rebuild. If you're buying one for carry, it would be a mistake IMHO.

der Teufel

Post by der Teufel »

Yeah, the price is too high for me but I remember one of the basic tenets of Marketing 101:
The market sets the price. The price is whatever a willing buyer and a willing seller agree upon.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. — Rudyard Kipling
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

der Teufel wrote:Yeah, the price is too high for me but I remember one of the basic tenets of Marketing 101:
The market sets the price. The price is whatever a willing buyer and a willing seller agree upon.
And there you have it.

I would like to have a decent, functional, WWII era or earlier 1911 to go along with my Garand, 1903, and Enfield from that era. $800 - $1k does seem a bit steep, but don't many 1911's from that period generally go from as much as $2k - $5k depending on the manufacturer and condition? I'm not really itching for one right now, but it would seem to me that a Service Grade for that much isn't really that bad of a price. How much better condition could one be in that is that old?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

uthornsfan

Post by uthornsfan »

I'm with C-dub on this.

I plan on trying to purchase one. I have been holding on to $1200 from my 2017 bonus just for this. The service grade at $1000 seems decent. I really wanted a WWII era and maybe I will get lucky.

Looking at GunBroker these prices seem in line with the market.

equin

Post by equin »

No doubt they have collector interest. I can see these being sold out year after year to collectors serious enough to pay that price.

I think the main difference between these and the Garands is that you can still buy a 1911 from various major firearm manufacturers, but I don’t know of any major manufacturers mass producing and selling Garands. Granted, the more expensive Springfield M1A is sold to the civilian market, but it’s not a Garand, although some may claim it’s an evolved improvement over the Garand. So I can understand the ever increasing price imposed on CMP’s Garands, many of which are still shooters.

But to pay that much for a collector 1911 that some may not want to shoot, when you can easily buy a similar, brand new 1911 for the same or less, leaves these for the true collectors in my opinion.
Ed

G26ster
Posts in topic: 3

Post by G26ster »

equin wrote:No doubt they have collector interest. I can see these being sold out year after year to collectors serious enough to pay that price.

But to pay that much for a collector 1911 that some may not want to shoot, when you can easily buy a similar, brand new 1911 for the same or less, leaves these for the true collectors in my :biggrinjester: opinion.
Exactly :tiphat:

uthornsfan

Post by uthornsfan »

equin

Post by equin »

uthornsfan wrote:You can buy new Garands.

http://www.fulton-armory.com/M1-Garand-Rifles.aspx
Well I’ll be.... Didn’t know that! Glad to see someone makes new ones even if they are about double the price of the CMP Specials.
Ed

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”