Electric Knife Sharpener

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

JRG
Posts in topic: 1

Post by JRG »

Just take your knife to one of the gun shows. There are always vendors there that will sharpen your knife for $3.00 each.

JRG

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 2

Post by anygunanywhere »

MoJo wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:This is what I use. Not electric. Puts a good edge on and is quick. I have them everywhere around the house and even one in my luggage. The edge is rugged and will not fold over like some finer edges.

Knife Sharpener
:iagree: Best down and dirty knife sharpener there is. If you can't sharpen a knife with one of these then you need to get new knives or go to a knife sharpening shop.
If'n you're out in the woods gutting that deer, just pull this sharpener out, take a few swipes and git after it. Hard to do with a lansky. Not knocking the lansky, but it pretty much has to be left at the bunkhouse.

Anygun
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Reloader

Post by Reloader »

I have been sharpening knives for over 40 years. I use DMT brand diamond hone. With these, I can put an edge on a stick. The danger of electric sharpeners is they can de-temper the steel of the knife due to excessive heat. The diamond sharpeners can do in 20 seconds what the oil stones can do in 20 minutes. These also eliminate the danger of removing the tempering. Instructions also come with these. They are great. The only old technology I use is using an old GLASS Dr. Pepper bottle. I hold it by the neck and strop AWAY from you. These also will strop the edge and remove any imperfections. It helps hold the edge and burinishes it for better hardness. The trick is FINDING a glass Dr. Pepper bottle. No other bottle will work because of the design of the bottle. Best to you. :razz:
Last edited by Reloader on Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Life Member
NRA Instructor
Amateur radio Instructor, VE KE5LDO
Tarleton State University '74

Topic author
shaggydog
Posts in topic: 3

Post by shaggydog »

Thanks to all for the info.

Special thanks to Reloader for giving me some insight as to why I may want to stay away form the electric devices.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

The Accusharp stones can be used twice. Simply remove them and turn them over.

Also, new replacement stones can be bought. The trick is finding them. Most places that sell the sharpeners don't sell the replacement stones or it seems, even know about them.

Reloader

Post by Reloader »

You can contact the Dublin, Texas, Dr. Pepper bottling company to purchase GLASS Dr. Pepper bottles. Do a google search On Dublin, tx, Dr. Pepper.
NRA Life Member
NRA Instructor
Amateur radio Instructor, VE KE5LDO
Tarleton State University '74

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

I gotta try that Dr. Pepper bottle for stropping. :grin:

I was always a klutz at knife sharpening until I got one of these: http://edgeproinc.com/. I can still be a klutz, but this makes sure I can't totally mess it up. I have the smaller Apex model; ain't cheap, but without it I'd have no earthly reason to own a sophisticated blade like S30V.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

Skiprr wrote:I gotta try that Dr. Pepper bottle for stropping. :grin:

I was always a klutz at knife sharpening until I got one of these: http://edgeproinc.com/. I can still be a klutz, but this makes sure I can't totally mess it up. I have the smaller Apex model; ain't cheap, but without it I'd have no earthly reason to own a sophisticated blade like S30V.
I have the Apex also.

I grew up sharpening on oil stones and still use them primarily. But, the Apex is pretty foolproof after a little practice.

Most folks have trouble sharpening a knife because they don't understand what it takes to do so.

Once you know what angle to hold the blade (varies for different purposes), you can work on holding it consistently at that angle.

After that, learning to remove the "burr" (this the Nemesis of knife sharpening) will yield a sharp blade. If you don't remove (or align) the burr (this is what stropping is for) you'll never get a truly sharp blade.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

brandy_easttx

Post by brandy_easttx »

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... &noImage=0

Craig bought one of these but one or two steps up. Then we bought these for all the men in the family that laughed at him for buying an electric knife sharpener. They all love them and knives shave in seconds. Even the stainless (chrome) type blades that you normally have to take a weeks vacation to get sharp enough to shave.

I know you said inexpensive. I can assure you, it is a great sharpener.

XOXOXOXO's,

Brandy
On Yahoo Messenger in Evenings and sometimes during the day....Same Name
Oct 19th-Took CHL Class

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”