Some people...

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
atxgun
Posts in topic: 3

Some people...

Post by atxgun »

So I ended up going to Red's south in Austin with a group of people yesterday to fire some rounds down range. We got two lanes for the 4 of us. I brought my S&W 9 and XD, this other guy I hadn't met before brought some kind of 44 revolver. We were all having a good time and at some point I step back from the lane to let someone else go. I turn around and this guy is outside of the lane, turned around, unloading the shells from his 44 pointed right at me! ARG! There are signs and common sense that say keep your weapon pointed down range!

Luckily I made it out of there w/o becoming one of those statistics of people shot with an "unloaded gun".

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

If the cylinder was open and his finger off the trigger, etc... you were O.K. despite his lack of etiquette.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

txaggie

Post by txaggie »

Rule #1 - The gun is always loaded - always!!

:shock:
We're all gamers, it's just degrees of application...

Lumberjack98
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Lumberjack98 »

:???:

Sorry to hear about that.

Did you report it to the folks working there?
NRA Lifetime Member
TSRA Lifetime Member

Glock 23

Post by Glock 23 »

txaggie wrote:Rule #1 - The gun is always loaded - always!!

X2

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

The worst part about people doing stupid things at the range is that they don't know they're being stupid. :mad:
I am scared of empty guns and keep mine loaded at all times. The family knows the guns are loaded and treats them with respect. Loaded guns cause few accidents; empty guns kill people every year. -Elmer Keith. 1961

Longtooths

Post by Longtooths »

Glock 23 wrote:

X2

+3
I'm from Texas, what country are you from?

WarHawk-AVG

Post by WarHawk-AVG »

This is an example of when to tactfully explain to someone "the riot act"

There are stories of people being shot all the time at gun ranges...and improper muzzle discipline with a loaded or unloaded firearm is still improper...

A .44Mag oopsie will put someone in the grave, at the very least change their lives forever
A sheepdog says "I will lead the way. I will set the highest standards. ...Your mission is to man the ramparts in this dark and desperate hour with honor and courage." - Lt. Col. Grossman
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’ - Edmond Burke

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

Then how do you clean it, dry fire it, transport it, etc? :?:

LarryH

Post by LarryH »

flintknapper, you're kidding, right?

That's Cooper's Rule #1.

TX Rancher

Post by TX Rancher »

Sorry, but I agree with Flint on this one…there are many times that my firearms are not loaded, so the statement “The gun is always loaded� is wrong. I’m pretty sure every gun at sometime in its life is unloaded…certainly during the manufacturing process.

Now if the statement is “All firearms should be treated as if they are loaded� then we are getting closer to reality, and I personally believe that’s the intent of the statement.

But the reality is even that rule doesn’t apply all the time. How many of you were in the military and trained with blanks? Did you aim your weapon at the OP-FORCE folks and pull the trigger? I remember having bayonet practice with a live opponent and my weapon was certainly pointed at him many times during the exercise. But that wouldn’t have happened if everyone assumed all weapons must be treated as if they were loaded. The same is true for many LEO training exercises. How about all those shootem-up adventure movies we all watch? Have you ever taken a weapons retention class? The list of situations where the statement may not apply is rather lengthy.

As I said, I agree with the intent of the statement, but as I believe Flint was alluding to, it certainly isn’t an absolute.

In the final analysis, your brain is the ultimate safety. Engage it, and everything else will fall into place.

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

TX Rancher wrote:Sorry, but I agree with Flint on this one…there are many times that my firearms are not loaded, so the statement “The gun is always loaded� is wrong. I’m pretty sure every gun at sometime in its life is unloaded…certainly during the manufacturing process.

Now if the statement is “All firearms should be treated as if they are loaded� then we are getting closer to reality, and I personally believe that’s the intent of the statement.

But the reality is even that rule doesn’t apply all the time. How many of you were in the military and trained with blanks? Did you aim your weapon at the OP-FORCE folks and pull the trigger? I remember having bayonet practice with a live opponent and my weapon was certainly pointed at him many times during the exercise. But that wouldn’t have happened if everyone assumed all weapons must be treated as if they were loaded. The same is true for many LEO training exercises. How about all those shootem-up adventure movies we all watch? Have you ever taken a weapons retention class? The list of situations where the statement may not apply is rather lengthy.

As I said, I agree with the intent of the statement, but as I believe Flint was alluding to, it certainly isn’t an absolute.

In the final analysis, your brain is the ultimate safety. Engage it, and everything else will fall into place.

Exactly my position on it.

bullseye10x

Post by bullseye10x »

Agreed, using common sense to determine when the "always loaded" safety rule is applicable will get you a long way. I've seen folks contort themselves into some very strange positions and guns hit the deck on occasion, just because a person is trying not to flag anyone with a gun that has been cleared already...

Now, I'm not saying the OP should have been 100% OK with a hand cannon being pointed in his direction, but a few details are missing here: If the cylinder was open (sounds like this was the case) then it was plainly visible that the gun was clear. No harm, no foul. If the cylinder was closed, that's a different story. Either way, if it were me, I would have just moved clear of the muzzle and tactfully asked the shooter to keep his firearm pointed in a safe direction while loading/unloading.

txaggie

Post by txaggie »

I guess if you guys are ready to trust someone else's judgement of "loaded or not", then ok by me, but I won't be on the same firing line as you.
We're all gamers, it's just degrees of application...

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

txaggie wrote:I guess if you guys are ready to trust someone else's judgement of "loaded or not", then ok by me, but I won't be on the same firing line as you.
I believe you are not taking their stance in the proper context.

When you are cleaning your firearms, do you ever look down the bore to see if it is clean?

Are you looking down the bore of a loaded firearm?

Yes, the guy with the .44 was stupid and needs lessons on etiquette and handling a firearm.

Anygun
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Return to “Never Again!!”