Approached By A Stranger While Pumping Gas

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

G26ster
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Approached By A Stranger While Pumping Gas

Post by G26ster »

I'm afraid I'm going to be the odd man out here without more info, but what was the "emergency" that warranted a 911 call? Best I can tell, he just asked for a ride and offered to pay you.

Topic author
Blindref757
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Blindref757 »

If you take it at surface value and don't wonder why he was so reluctant to take free help from a service officer...nothing. But if it doesn't pass the smell test, an officer should field interview the guy and check out his story...and get him the help he needs as a stranger in a strange community.

kjolly
Posts in topic: 1

Post by kjolly »

Entering/Leaving your home and pumping gas are situations where you can be the most at risk because of the enviroment. Its a good idea to keep checking your surroundings. Panhandlers have attempted to approach me in these situations because whether or not they have ill intentions they see you as an available mark that can be approached. Don't let them close.
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Certified Trainer, IDPA
NRA Range Safety Officer

http://www.tacticalpistol.us

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

I'm slowly learning that I don't have to be a nice guy all the time.
To paraphrase something I have heard many times: Be cordial to everyone... and have a plan to neutralize any threat they represent.

The OP realized at some level, conscious or not, that things did not add up and acted well to keep abreast of the situation. I am glad it all worked out without further drama.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

WickedOwl

Post by WickedOwl »

Middle Age Russ wrote:
I'm slowly learning that I don't have to be a nice guy all the time.
To paraphrase something I have heard many times: Be cordial to everyone... and have a plan to neutralize any threat they represent.
Also,
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

speedsix
Posts in topic: 8

Post by speedsix »

...going to the trouble to report this guy may have saved someone else a bad day...thanks for taking the time...another officer may have run into him later that day...a check may have revealed a warrant...you don't know the good you did by asking to have him checked out... :thumbs2:

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 13

Post by Excaliber »

G26ster wrote:I'm afraid I'm going to be the odd man out here without more info, but what was the "emergency" that warranted a 911 call? Best I can tell, he just asked for a ride and offered to pay you.
When he refused no cost solutions to the problem he said he had, it was clear that wasn't what he was after. His behavior clearly met the criteria for a pre incident criminal interview, and reporting the circumstances to the police so they could investigate before he escalated to an actual crime was appropriate, responsible and commendable.

I can't begin to count the number of times I've interviewed witnesses after a crime only to find out that they saw and recognized clearly suspicious behavior beforehand, but didn't call because they "didn't want to bother the police," "thought it was nothing," figured "nothing really bad could happen here," or dismissed their accurate perceptions for some other reason.

If it looks hinky, don't wait until somebody gets hurt - make the call.

The rule is: better one call too many than one call too few.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

speedsix wrote:...going to the trouble to report this guy may have saved someone else a bad day...thanks for taking the time...another officer may have run into him later that day...a check may have revealed a warrant...you don't know the good you did by asking to have him checked out... :thumbs2:
I said I was the odd man out here, but for you, as a former LEO, I guess we think different, as I did not have to be in daily contact with the dregs of the earth as you did in your career (and thank you for your service). First, the OP did not state whether the man had anything with him, like a bag with perhaps a belt in it. He did not state where the "suspect's" truck was. Was it in the Walmart parking lot? Back at the hotel? Am I to evaluate everyone I come in contact with as "suspect" if they don't meet my "personal smell test" and call 911 if they don't? Sounds like what the DHS wants us to do.

The man had no phone. Not everyone does. The OP didn't know why he needed to get back to his hotel. Neither do I, and there could be a million reasons not evident as to why. Maybe that's where his truck was. Maybe he had to be there at a specific time to meet other workers and he did not want to wait for the police to give him a ride. Maybe he got a ride from the hotel to Walmart to try and get a belt and they didn't have one to fit his truck. And yes, maybe he was a mass murderer out on the loose. Anything is possible.

I don't have a Batman License, I don't think I have a Robin license either, and I should be making a 911 emergency calls reporting everyone who I come in contact with that doesn't meet my personal smell test. Or, perhaps I just don't know what 911 is for.

Let's turn the tables a bit. Suppose the man saw where the Op's thumb was, saw a bulge, and assumed he had a gun. After being rebuffed by the OP, he goes inside and has the clerk call 911, and a MWAG call goes out on the OP. Sure, you'll beat the rap, but when you get pulled over with 4 or 5 police pointing guns at you, and after being questioned, how nice of a day have you had? After all, the man didn't know you had a CHL and were legally carrying, he just got scared and had someone call 911 because he didn't even know it's legal for anyone to carry. You didn't pass HIS smell test, and you scared him.

Again, I know I'm in the vast minority here, but I just felt there were some counterpoints to be made. Flame suit on :tiphat:

Apothix

Post by Apothix »

Let's turn the tables a bit. Suppose the man saw where the Op's thumb was, saw a bulge, and assumed he had a gun. After being rebuffed by the OP, he goes inside and has the clerk call 911, and a MWAG call goes out on the OP. Sure, you'll beat the rap, but when you get pulled over with 4 or 5 police pointing guns at you, and after being questioned, how nice of a day have you had? After all, the man didn't know you had a CHL and were legally carrying, he just got scared and had someone call 911 because he didn't even know it's legal for anyone to carry. You didn't pass HIS smell test, and you scared him.
Now, I am no officer, and I may just be a tad paranoid. But I would think the police officer would want to know why he was approaching random people at the gas pumps and then refusing offered assistance of a peace officer. Putting himself in danger by making people uncomfortable and possibly causing a situation when it was not needed.

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

G26ster wrote:
speedsix wrote:...going to the trouble to report this guy may have saved someone else a bad day...thanks for taking the time...another officer may have run into him later that day...a check may have revealed a warrant...you don't know the good you did by asking to have him checked out... :thumbs2:
I said I was the odd man out here, but for you, as a former LEO, I guess we think different, as I did not have to be in daily contact with the dregs of the earth as you did in your career (and thank you for your service). First, the OP did not state whether the man had anything with him, like a bag with perhaps a belt in it. He did not state where the "suspect's" truck was. Was it in the Walmart parking lot? Back at the hotel? Am I to evaluate everyone I come in contact with as "suspect" if they don't meet my "personal smell test" and call 911 if they don't? Sounds like what the DHS wants us to do.

The man had no phone. Not everyone does. The OP didn't know why he needed to get back to his hotel. Neither do I, and there could be a million reasons not evident as to why. Maybe that's where his truck was. Maybe he had to be there at a specific time to meet other workers and he did not want to wait for the police to give him a ride. Maybe he got a ride from the hotel to Walmart to try and get a belt and they didn't have one to fit his truck. And yes, maybe he was a mass murderer out on the loose. Anything is possible.

I don't have a Batman License, I don't think I have a Robin license either, and I should be making a 911 emergency calls reporting everyone who I come in contact with that doesn't meet my personal smell test. Or, perhaps I just don't know what 911 is for.

Again, I know I'm in the vast minority here, but I just felt there were some counterpoints to be made. Flame suit on :tiphat:
Speedsix outlined several good reasons for using your phone in situations like this.

Working really hard to dream up far out excuses for believing that what looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck isn't a duck instead of recognizing it is a duck and treating it like one is exactly what many victims do just before they achieve that status.

To better understand the dynamics involved, I'd highly recommend reading The Gift of Fear by Gavin DeBecker.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Topic author
Blindref757
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Blindref757 »

I'll try and address some of the concerns.

I never saw his truck. I have no idea where it was or how he got to me. I thought I was being really nice to offer to get him some free help. This isn't 1952 in Mayberry...I wish it was. I teach 4th graders how to add, subtract, multiply and divide...that's my specialty. Someone else in my community specializes in helping disabled motorist from Dallas and I'm glad they do. They have the tools, the training, and safety net in place to provide this service (guns, tazers, radios, and backup officers). My taxes pay for the truck, salary and the gasoline for this service...I think it is totally appropriate to call and request that service when needed.

When he declined free assistance, my red flag went up. At that point, he went from stranger in my personal space to suspicious. I've hung out with a lot of LEO's and they conduct field interviews all the time on suspicious people walking down the street who are somewhat out of place. A lot of local PD's have a local database with this info in it so that other officers who happen to encounter suspects are informed of other suspicious activity. I don't think it is all that wrong to have a "person of interest" database for community PD's.

He did not appear to have a weapon...and I'm certain he would say the same of me. My hand on my hip at 4:00 was a very natural stance and there is no bulge other than the spare tire that I have in all directions! I think my local PD is much better when they are in the crime prevention mode instead of the crime solving mode. I called them simply for this reason. It might behoove me to program the local PD number into my phone for this type of call, because you are correct that it wasn't a 911 emergency. I guess it has just become somewhat ingrained in our society that 911 is the number to the PD. I'm guilty. Another reason for the immediate 911 call was in case of the MWAG situation that you propose--even though there was practically zero chance that that call would come in from anyone.

I hope you don't think I'm flaming back...that isn't my goal. My purpose for sharing this story was simply to share how important it is that we be aware of potential threats and how (or how not) to deal with them. Most days, I put my gun on and never really think twice about it. However, each encounter where I have a conscious thought about having a gun on my hip is a learning opportunity. At least it is at this point in my CHL experience.

speedsix
Posts in topic: 8

Post by speedsix »

G26ster wrote:

...no flame, but the batman/robin thing is a cheap shot..Excaliber covered it quite well...most LEOS would prefer checking something out than finding out afterward that someone hesitated...and didn't call...and a bad thing could have been averted...911 is the correct way to report a suspicious person...when you call the non-emergency numbers, they just transfer you and it confuses them...
...as to the turning tables...we can live life timidly, hoping we don't upset anyone, or we can live life...I prefer the latter...and if someone calls in on me for such as you described...I'd just say "Yeah, I'm the guy who just called in the suspicious person...so I guess he was trying to get even..."
...too often I've written the report and had someone pop up looking for their 15 minutes and say "I saw him...but I didn't want to call in and look stupid if it was nothing"....and they can't even give a good description...I'd say to always follow your gut, let the LEO sort it out...

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

Blindref757 wrote:I'll try and address some of the concerns.

I never saw his truck. I have no idea where it was or how he got to me. I thought I was being really nice to offer to get him some free help. This isn't 1952 in Mayberry...I wish it was. I teach 4th graders how to add, subtract, multiply and divide...that's my specialty. Someone else in my community specializes in helping disabled motorist from Dallas and I'm glad they do. They have the tools, the training, and safety net in place to provide this service (guns, tazers, radios, and backup officers). My taxes pay for the truck, salary and the gasoline for this service...I think it is totally appropriate to call and request that service when needed.

When he declined free assistance, my red flag went up. At that point, he went from stranger in my personal space to suspicious. I've hung out with a lot of LEO's and they conduct field interviews all the time on suspicious people walking down the street who are somewhat out of place. A lot of local PD's have a local database with this info in it so that other officers who happen to encounter suspects are informed of other suspicious activity. I don't think it is all that wrong to have a "person of interest" database for community PD's.

He did not appear to have a weapon...and I'm certain he would say the same of me. My hand on my hip at 4:00 was a very natural stance and there is no bulge other than the spare tire that I have in all directions! I think my local PD is much better when they are in the crime prevention mode instead of the crime solving mode. I called them simply for this reason. It might behoove me to program the local PD number into my phone for this type of call, because you are correct that it wasn't a 911 emergency. I guess it has just become somewhat ingrained in our society that 911 is the number to the PD. I'm guilty. Another reason for the immediate 911 call was in case of the MWAG situation that you propose--even though there was practically zero chance that that call would come in from anyone.

I hope you don't think I'm flaming back...that isn't my goal. My purpose for sharing this story was simply to share how important it is that we be aware of potential threats and how (or how not) to deal with them. Most days, I put my gun on and never really think twice about it. However, each encounter where I have a conscious thought about having a gun on my hip is a learning opportunity. At least it is at this point in my CHL experience.
And I'm not berating you either over your actions. Other than my disagreement with the 911 call, I'm simply stating my opinion that I didn't see anything that out of the ordinary to warrant a 911 call, other than what you read into the situation, and by what info you omitted in your OP. You were there, I was not. I don't think (IMHO) he did anything suspicious based on the info you provided. It was only your suppositions that made him suspicious to you. That's fine, and many agree. But, there are many people who do not want to interact with law enforcement for a variety of reasons, if they can avoid it, including some on this forum. Only you can decide how to handle a situation, and I by no means mean to tell you what to do. I know I'm in the minority, and that's fine, and am only stating my opinion. That said, being a CHL is a learning experience, and I hope you will always be safe. BTW, it would be nice to follow up with your PD and see if anything came of this. I'd sure be interested.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Simply, someone who has no car, and wants a free ride. As simple as that. It is tough time and many lost their cars and became homeless. The story of broken car is just a an excuse so the guy would not state he is homeless.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

speedsix wrote:
G26ster wrote:

...no flame, but the batman/robin thing is a cheap shot..Excaliber covered it quite well...most LEOS would prefer checking something out than finding out afterward that someone hesitated...and didn't call...and a bad thing could have been averted...911 is the correct way to report a suspicious person...when you call the non-emergency numbers, they just transfer you and it confuses them...
...as to the turning tables...we can live life timidly, hoping we don't upset anyone, or we can live life...I prefer the latter...and if someone calls in on me for such as you described...I'd just say "Yeah, I'm the guy who just called in the suspicious person...so I guess he was trying to get even..."
...too often I've written the report and had someone pop up looking for their 15 minutes and say "I saw him...but I didn't want to call in and look stupid if it was nothing"....and they can't even give a good description...I'd say to always follow your gut, let the LEO sort it out...
Well said and an easily remembered rule of thumb that summarizes a lot of the discussion here.
Excaliber

Return to “Never Again!!”