lawrnk
Posts in topic: 2

Video:, wow..bad move by cop?

Post by lawrnk »

Is it me? Why did this cop not draw?

gregthehand
Posts in topic: 1

Post by gregthehand »

Because he was too close to the guy. Pointing a pistol at someone at arms distance is dangerous because it's very easy for them to take it from you...
My posts on this website are worth every cent you paid me for them.

AEA

Post by AEA »

He should have drawn from the distance that he first realized what was going on and ordered the perp to the floor.
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

yobdab

Post by yobdab »

I think he couldn't believe what was going on or wasn't sure what was happening until he saw the bag being passed to the clerk.

How could you so stupid to not see the guard 8 ft away from you?
/////////////////////////////////////
NRA and TSRA
P226 P245 GP100 PLR-16
Μολών λαβέ
/////////////////////////////////////

nitrogen

Post by nitrogen »

Cop did okay. Nobody got killed, BG got apprehended, and money was returned.

Nobody was in imminent danger of death or serious injury, so gunplay wasn't necessary.

That's A1 in my book.
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

Wildscar

Post by Wildscar »

nitrogen wrote:Cop did okay. Nobody got killed, BG got apprehended, and money was returned.

Nobody was in imminent danger of death or serious injury, so gunplay wasn't necessary.

That's A1 in my book.
Actually money was never taken so that makes it even better. :thumbsup:
Wildscar
"Far Better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat." Theodore Roosevelt 1899
Beretta 92FS
Holster Review Resource
Project One Million:Texas - Click here and Join NRA Today!

Paladin

Re: Video:, wow..bad move by cop?

Post by Paladin »

lawrnk wrote:
Is it me? Why did this cop not draw?
I don't think I would have walked up on the BG without clearly seeing what was in both of his hands.

Great situation for a taser. You taser the BG before he even knows you're there. :)
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

Hindsight is 20/20 - It seems to me like he is lucky to be alive (the Police Officer). He may not last with tactics like that. The robber could have easily killed the officer (if he wasn't so stupid - he looked over at the PO - not sure how he didn't see him).

Will938

Post by Will938 »

I think if I were the cop he would eat taser if I had one or OC, this would occur before he turned around or I approached.

nitrogen

Post by nitrogen »

Will938 wrote:I think if I were the cop he would eat taser if I had one or OC, this would occur before he turned around or I approached.
I'd be interested if there was some cue that made him realise a robbery was definately in progress.

For all he knew, it could have been a guy wanting 1,000 in tens, and wanted 'em in a backpack. Could have ended up like the wells fargo guy in Frisco.

I still think it's good that the officer didn't shoot anyone or taze anyone until he knew there was a threat. Then again, what do I know :)
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

45ACP

Yikes!

Post by 45ACP »

Shall we dance?
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection in the Home, Home Firearm Safety
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA & GOA Life Member

Topic author
lawrnk

Post by lawrnk »

I think he should have gotten 10 feet back and drawn. He could have, easily. Grabbing his arm was stupid. In the struggle he could easily been shot or stabbed. I'll always risk my job to err on the side of caution.

NcongruNt

Post by NcongruNt »

nitrogen wrote:
Will938 wrote:I think if I were the cop he would eat taser if I had one or OC, this would occur before he turned around or I approached.
I'd be interested if there was some cue that made him realise a robbery was definately in progress.

For all he knew, it could have been a guy wanting 1,000 in tens, and wanted 'em in a backpack. Could have ended up like the wells fargo guy in Frisco.

I still think it's good that the officer didn't shoot anyone or taze anyone until he knew there was a threat. Then again, what do I know :)
I'm betting there were probably tell-tale signs of what was happening on the teller's face. That, and the fact that he saw the guy walk in and hand a bag for cash without time for any of the normal account access/etc to transpire before cash started going into the bag was another good hint.

OC doesn't seem like it would be viable due to the angles and proximity in this situation... It probably would have done just as much to disable the officer as anyone else. It seems too close and fast for a tazer, as well. The only possible option i can see other than simple physical hand force is possibly a baton, but even that is dicey in tight quarters so close. Then you get into issues of use of necessary force until the brawl was already on, at which time it would be useless and possibly detrimental to the officer if the BG were to get a hohld of it. Drawing from where he was would seem to both put the teller in a crossfire and make it less likely to apprehend the perp, as he would be stuck int his little desk alcove and the guy would have bolted, making him impossible to apprehend at close range with a drawn gun.

From the angle the officer was, it looks like he at least had a brief view of both of the guy's hands and could see that he did not have a weapon. I'd say it was a good call in the way that he dealt with the situation.

WarHawk-AVG

Post by WarHawk-AVG »

nitrogen wrote:Cop did okay. Nobody got killed, BG got apprehended, and money was returned.

That's A1 in my book.
This time..next time..the BG disarms the LEO...shoots him..then uses the LEO weapon to finish his robbery, possibly shooting others.

NOT the smartest thing to do

Taser would have been AWESOME!! Hit him before he even knew what happened.
A sheepdog says "I will lead the way. I will set the highest standards. ...Your mission is to man the ramparts in this dark and desperate hour with honor and courage." - Lt. Col. Grossman
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’ - Edmond Burke

Return to “Never Again!!”