Gun Safety at the Counter

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
texas2step
Posts in topic: 2

Gun Safety at the Counter

Post by texas2step »

Went to Academy yesterday to pick up some fishing supplies for my upcoming trip to the Gulf coast next week and had a not-so-pleasant experience. The employee at the gun counter, probably in his early 20's, was showing two teenage guys some of their pistols and one of the teenagers was operating the slide and taking practice aim several times. As I was shopping for fishing reels at the opposite end of the counter I noticed on more than one occasion that he pointed the muzzle directly at me. Overhearing their conversation it was clear that they all were knowledgable about firearms but obviously knew zero about basic safety.

Intentional or not, I could have really let that kid have it right then but instead I waited until the teenagers left then re-directed my concern towards the store clerk. I told him that I would greatly appreciate if he would not allow his customers point firearms at other customers. He quickly responded with their policy about checking the weapons, trigger locks, blah, blah, blah......

It's pretty bad when dealers cannot recognize basic safety violations. I would hope that anybody out there that witnesses the same thing to kindly remind dealers that they are partly responsible for ensuring customers handle firearms safely.
Texas2Step
Sig P229R

Wildscar
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Wildscar »

I think I would have to have more words with more than the clerk at that point and I would have had words with the customer point the weapon at me. That’s uncalled for. There is no reason that the muzzle of any weapon be point in any direction but the floor. I dont care if you the president of the USA. No one should be able the rules of safety. I dont how many safe guards are in place to keep bad things from happening. Without basic safety you have nothing.

Having a muzzle pointed at me does not leave a good feeling in me. Some others might have reaction take over before active thinking can engage or it could spark a flash back to some other event in some one’s life that they are trying to get over and they just sent them back to square one.

If the clerk blew me off as you said he did you I would have to ask to speak with his manager. He would be lucky to have a job after that. But that’s just me. There’s more I want to say but the more I think about it the more I want to drive to this store and let them have it myself. Some might think I am over reacting but when it comes to firearm safety I don’t think that’s possible.
Wildscar
"Far Better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat." Theodore Roosevelt 1899
Beretta 92FS
Holster Review Resource
Project One Million:Texas - Click here and Join NRA Today!

frankie_the_yankee
Banned

Post by frankie_the_yankee »

Wildscar wrote: If the clerk blew me off as you said he did you I would have to ask to speak with his manager. He would be lucky to have a job after that. But that’s just me. There’s more I want to say but the more I think about it the more I want to drive to this store and let them have it myself. Some might think I am over reacting but when it comes to firearm safety I don’t think that’s possible.
+1 :iagree:

I would never sit still for that kind of nonsense. I would definitely get the store manager involved.
Ahm jus' a Southern boy trapped in a Yankee's body

austin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by austin »

Ditto. Store manager and then a letter to Corporate.

I would have spoken up to all at the time it occurred.

Wildscar

Post by Wildscar »

One more thing. These teenages should not even have been allowed to look at the guns. They can't buy till 21 anyway. That woud have been awhole nother issue.
Wildscar
"Far Better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat." Theodore Roosevelt 1899
Beretta 92FS
Holster Review Resource

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

Wildscar wrote:. There is no reason that the muzzle of any weapon be point in any direction but the floor.
Then how would they be able to display them?

Would they have to turn all the shotguns and rifles upside down in the rack? :grin:

I am with you on not having the firearm purposely "pointed at another person" without that person's knowledge or consent. This is extremely bad form and anyone doing it....should be told so.

On the other hand...a firearm CAN be made safe by ensuring it is unloaded. Of course, I want to do this MYSELF and check it several times.

If the weapon has been checked by ME, and doesn't leave my sight...then I don't get too concerned about where the muzzle is pointed.

I know this goes against popular opinion, but I think much to much is made of NEVER letting the muzzle cover anything. It just isn't doable even with loaded guns and concealed carry.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

Topic author
texas2step

Post by texas2step »

I knew they were under 21 because they mentioned they were not old enough for CHL but did not know there exact age nor did I know store policy on age limit for handling firearms. Even though I thought there was neglect on the part of the teens as well as the salesman I thought I could have a more positive impact on future behavior without trying to get the guy fired.

I'm not defending those guys but we all have had moments of stupidity and neglect. For instance, how much do we really pay attention to the direction the muzzle is pointed when our pistol is holstered, AND LOADED? Let's say hypothetically that you had a laser beam shooting out of your muzzle of a pistol you had holstered all day at the mall and it marked a line in its path. At the end of the day you go back and look to see everywhere that line was drawn. I'd bet you would be surprised when you found out everything (or everybody) you took aim at that day. Example...Standing in a checkout line next to a 1 yr old in a stroller. On the other hand, I'm sure there aren't many documented cases of holstered firearms spontaneously discharging. Its a good thing otherwise this website would not exist today.
Texas2Step
Sig P229R

frankie_the_yankee
Banned

flintknapper wrote: I know this goes against popular opinion, but I think much to much is made of NEVER letting the muzzle cover anything. It just isn't doable even with loaded guns and concealed carry.
Not only that, but what about shoulder rigs?

Wildscar

Post by Wildscar »

flintknapper wrote:
Wildscar wrote:. There is no reason that the muzzle of any weapon be point in any direction but the floor.
I know this goes against popular opinion, but I think much to much is made of NEVER letting the muzzle cover anything. It just isn't doable even with loaded guns and concealed carry.
Ok let me rephrase to make more clear. While handling a firearm in the general pubic at a display counter as mentioned above the muzzle should not be pointed at anything but the ground. That’s what I was meaning. I figured in the context above is where my statement would have applied. Not to everyday carry and storage. Is that more clear now? :lol:
Wildscar
Beretta 92FS
Holster Review Resource

hi-power

Post by hi-power »

My wife and I were at a gun show in Dallas a few years ago. We were slowly walking past a booth looking at some of the guns and when I turned to face forward again, I had a 30.06 barrel pointed right in my eye! I guess I must have flashed back to my football days because I crouched a bit, then gave that rifle stock a forearm-shiver that it would feel for a week!

I'm surprised the guy was able to hold onto the gun, but he did. We had a loud nose-to-nose discussion about gun safety and how I didn't care if it was "not loaded", you don't point a gun at anything you're not willing to destroy. I don't know if he got the point, but I had to say something.

At gun shows, I'm all right with people pointing rifles at the ceiling or high on the wall to get a look through the scope, but head-level is off limits.

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

frankie_the_yankee wrote:
flintknapper wrote: I know this goes against popular opinion, but I think much to much is made of NEVER letting the muzzle cover anything. It just isn't doable even with loaded guns and concealed carry.
What would you like to know about them?

I'll be happy to share.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

flintknapper wrote:

I'll be happy to share.
& he is the authority on shoulder rigs on this board. ;-)
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

propellerhead

Post by propellerhead »

Go to that company's website and find a contact there. It will make a larger impact.

frankie_the_yankee
Banned

longtooth wrote:
flintknapper wrote:

I'll be happy to share.
& he is the authority on shoulder rigs on this board. ;-)
Depending on the style, the muzzle of a gun in a shoulder rig is liable to be pointed almost anywhere.

dave_in_austin

Post by dave_in_austin »

Is not knowingly pointing a firearm (loaded or unloaded) at another person a Class A misdemeanor under penal code 22.05(c) (deadly conduct)?

Return to “Never Again!!”