Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
seamusTX
Posts in topic: 1

Call 911 every time!

Post by seamusTX »

From the Galveston County Daily News, this date:
Salesman Claims Homeowner Pulled A Gun

LEAGUE CITY — A door-to-door salesman reported being threatened by a homeowner who he alleged pointed a pistol at him, police Sgt. John Jordan said.

The 20-year-old man told police he was at a home on the 2800 block of Smokey Lake Lane at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday when the irate homeowner threatened him and pulled a gun, Jordan said.

Police are investigating the complaint as a case of deadly conduct, he said.

But the homeowner told police the salesman was pounding on his front door, demanding that it be opened, Jordan said.

He told police he didn’t pull a gun.

— Sara McDonald
I can't provide a permanent link to this story.

Who knows what happened here? 7:30 p.m. seems rather late for a door-to-door salesman. I wonder if the police verified his credentials.

The address is a cul-de-sac just off I-45. (League City is a southern suburb of Houston.)

I think this case will fail for lack of evidence, even if the homeowner did something rash.

- Jim

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

This was not me.

I despise d-t-d sales jerks.

Our subdivision has no solicitation signs posted.

I always ask them if they can read. I have often answered the door while OC.

If one of these individuals was pounding on my door, LCPD will hear from me first.

Anygun
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

anygunanywhere wrote:This was not me.

I despise d-t-d sales jerks.
Ditto. I am always polite as I say "No thanks, I'm not interested" and close the door. For the occasional idjit who tries to (literally) get his foot in the door, especially those who are "just working my way through school!" ( :roll: ), I give them a quick, and free, education on the laws regarding Criminal Trespass in Texas.

Thanks for the reminder. Although I'm pretty sure my address is blacklisted from the rolls of encyclopedia salesmen and religious sects, should it happen again, I will immediately dial 911 and report a trespasser.

G-Ma
Posts in topic: 2

Post by G-Ma »

Whew! I thought it might have been me, when I first saw this! I am so glad it was not!

I did, however, recently pull a gun on a dtd salesman ... and will do so again, if I ever need to.

Some background: League used to be a "no soliciting" town, until our current City Council decided that was too harsh on the illegals that mow our lawns and want to leave their calling cards on our doors, so we can employ them. Yeh, like I'd ever make that mistake, again, after one tried to rape me in my back yard! League City, to our shame, is a Sanctuary City. The City Council has even put up a bicycle rack and Port-A-Potty next to the Police Station, sending the illegals the mixed message that they can do whatever they please, and they are protected by the Police, as that is what that means in their country.

So, dtd salesmen don't even have to check in with the City, any more. No permit, no badge, no legal solicitation times, no nothing. They are free to go wherever, whenever ... with City Council's blessings. I know, because I called the Police to report the young man that forced me to pull my gun and they would not even come out.

He came to my door, stuck his foot in the door. I told him to go away. He kept talking. I told him that I had a gun and would use it, if he didn't go away. He told me he wasn't there to sell me anything. Liar! Then, I slammed my door on his foot and locked it. (Once the foot was taken out of the door, of course.)

I realized that the gun wasn't in the house, so I went out to get it, and he waved at me from the neighbor's house across the street. Later, I learned that he told the neighbor that I was "mean" to him. Well, big fat duh!
:roll:

He was acting very strange, like someone who was manic or high. His behavior frightened me. I wondered if he might break into the house, as he was acting in such an erratic manner. Instead of continuing on down the street, he, then, started back across the street toward my house, waving and smiling really big and walking kind of bouncy, headed straight for me. Not behavior one would have, after having been threatened with a gun ... even though he had not seen it at that point. Maybe, he just didn't believe me.

I thought about locking my door and just going upstairs, but didn't want to confront him alone, inside the house, if he broke the door down. So, I stood in my doorway, just inside the house, with the door open to see what he was going to do. When, he came down the sidewalk, in front of the house, I pulled the slide back and let it go loudly to let him know that I was ready, if he came too close. He waved really big and said, "Happy Tuesday!" I just said, "Just keep walking," with the gun held sideways in front of my stomach, not pointing at him, so that he could see it from the side and know that I had it.

He just kept walking, but tell me one thing: What kind of a nut would act that way, when he had been told from the beginning that I had a gun and would use it, if he forced me to? Why would he double back to come toward my house and not continue down the block? I wasn't very nice to him at the door, as he had awakened me from a deep sleep and I was running a fever and felt like barf warmed over. So, there was no chance that he could have interpreted anything I said as a come-on.

Well, not a week later, just after dark, we had a couple ring the door bell saying that they wanted to "clean" for us. They had a rag and some spray cleaning solution of some type in their hand. They were acting strangely, too, as if they were high.

So, League City is wide open and easy pickings for any and all criminal elements, and the homeowners who pay the taxes are left to fend for themselves and hope the Police feel generous the day they have to come to our door.

BTW, the illegal lawn men were at the Pasadena Gun Show a couple of Sunday's ago, trying to buy guns. A local Policeman told me that they carry anywhere between $2,000-3,000 on them at any given time, and they steal from each other ... IN OUR NEIGHBORHOODS!!!! I recognized two of them from League City that work in my sub-division. Now, how long is it going to be before they have a shootout and their bullets penetrate an innocent homeowner's house and harm someone? :mad:

I am so angry at City Council right now!!! They have taken a beautiful, peaceful little community and turned it into a no man's land. :mad: Gr-r-r!! :mad:

I hope we can move, soon, to somewhere that ISN'T a sanctuary city.
"Of all our natural resources, the first one to be exhausted may be the taxpayer."
-- unknown

G-Ma
Posts in topic: 2

Post by G-Ma »

BTW - You can go to

lcpd.com

for Police Reports.

Click on "P2C Police To Citizen Reports" in the center of the page. Right now, the way it is set up, you'll have to do that twice. Then, click on "Recent Events" in the left hand column, and you should be able to see Police Reports.

League City does have the best Police Department and the best Officers in the area. I just hope City Council doesn't screw that up, too. I love our Policemen. They have been very good to me, every time I have encountered them ... at social events, when I've needed to call them, a couple of traffic accidents that thankfully weren't my fault, when I've needed to have questions answered. They are polite, not overbearing, and they are helpful. I would trust any of them with my life.
"Of all our natural resources, the first one to be exhausted may be the taxpayer."
-- unknown

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

I have a "No Solicitation" sign posted at my entrance to the Stevie-D Compound...

It doesn't work real well for some reason... :headscratch
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

G-Ma wrote: What kind of a nut would act that way, when he had been told from the beginning that I had a gun and would use it, if he forced me to? Why would he double back to come toward my house and not continue down the block?
There is a certain mentality of dtd saleperson, what my late wife used to call "blue suede shoe boys" that seem to be convinced of their right to harass you into buying their product. They have no understanding of the word "NO" and are perpetually ready to bounce back from any rebuff to their efforts and continue despite death threats and such. They "know" they were not doing anything wrong, they know that you are just one flap of the lip away from buying their product, and they are absolutely convinced that everyone loves them.

Personally I think that type should be confined to a desert island in the Indian Ocean for the rest of their natural lives.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

G-Ma wrote: I am so angry at City Council right now!!! They have taken a beautiful, peaceful little community and turned it into a no man's land. :mad: Gr-r-r!! :mad:
I lived in League City for close to 10 years served on the Fire dept.
I never understood why they encouraged the ultra rapid growth. Not just tolorated it or accepted it, but encouraged it. The results of course has been turning a wonderful town and increasing taxes, overcrowding the schools, increasing crime. and stressing all the cityservices. Its probably just a coincidence that some of the Council folk have made a lot of money selling soggy cow pasture.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Odin

Post by Odin »

I never have a problem with DTD salespeople because I simply don't answer the door if I don't recognize the person on my porch. I don't hide from them or be quiet or pretend that I'm not home, I just ognore the door until they leave.

Same thing with telemarketers who call, I ignore the call or simply pick up the phone and hang it up without saying a word.

What do you do with pests that you aren't able to exterminate? I ignore them.

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ »

Odin wrote:What do you do with pests that you aren't able to exterminate?
call a professional exterminator...
:lol:

Return to “Never Again!!”