Regarding the Austin Police TASER vs. Motorist video...

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Odin
Posts in topic: 3

Regarding the Austin Police TASER vs. Motorist video...

Post by Odin »

http://www.statesman.com/news/mplayer/other/32386

Often on this forum I read posts about what is "legal" and what is "right" and what is "permitted", etc... in certain situations. And many times it has been said that a person can do what is "legal" or "defensible" but still end up being arrested and spending a lot of money on lawyers.

I think this video is an example of a similar scenario.

In a perfect world that video would never have happened. It turns out the driver had a valid license and insurance, so this incident could have gone down as a simple, quick traffic stop with everyone on their way in minutes. Instead it ended with a man in jail and an officer suspended.

The officer was legally justified in everything he said and did. There was sufficient probable cause for the traffic stop. The officer is not obligated to conduct a verbal debate on the side of the road regarding a driver's ID, and the officer was legally justified in ordering the driver out of the vehicle when he did. There are good reasons for doing so, both officer safety reasons and strategic reasons regarding the ID'ing of an uncooperative subject in a car with passengers.

The officer is not unlike a legally armed CHL holding citizen who carries a concealed handgun into a business with a "technically incorrect" 30.06 sign posted on the door. Both broke no laws.

However, the officer ended up suspended for his legally performed actions. Just like a CHL holder can end up in jail for doing certain things that may end up being legally defensible in the end.

The lesson that the officer could learn from that situation is that there was another way to handle the situation that would have resulted in no problems for the officer.

Like the CHL holder who is legally vindicated for a use of force and then civilly sued, the officer was legally cleared and then reprimanded (suspended) for a department policy issue.

The lesson that the driver could learn from that situation is that even though he may feel that he is within his rights to argue with the police, and even though he may not have been charged with any crime related to the argument, that he could have resolved the traffic stop without having to be tased and arrested.

Like the CHL holder who asserts his right to carry after drinking and gets arrested for carrying while intoxicated, he may eventually prevail in court despite the officer's opinion that he was intoxicated, the CHL holder will still go to jail. Just like the driver went to jail and was later released and not charged with anything but the initial traffic violations. He won the war but lost the battle.

I'm sure that both the officer and driver wish that they had both acted differently on that day. Common sense was not the prevailing force on that day for either party.

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 1

Post by seamusTX »

:iagree: When one person fails to act like an adult, it's an embarrassing situation. When two people fail to act like adults, it's a disaster.

- Jim

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

The drivers lawyer is already counting the money on this one. :shock:
I am scared of empty guns and keep mine loaded at all times. The family knows the guns are loaded and treats them with respect. Loaded guns cause few accidents; empty guns kill people every year. -Elmer Keith. 1961

Kalrog

Post by Kalrog »

This one was a year ago... and it is the video that the new police chief used to demonstrate what NOT to do. Interesting.

Fragger

Post by Fragger »

Abuse of power!! :oops: :sad: This cat was obviously having a bad day!! :cry:
Love your neighbor; as yourself!!

KC5AV
Posts in topic: 2

Post by KC5AV »

While the officer was out of line, there is plenty of blame to go around for all parties concerned.
NRA lifetime member

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

KC5AV wrote:While the officer was out of line, there is plenty of blame to go around for all parties concerned.
The officer is supposed to be the proffessional and is the one on the Government payroll
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

WarHawk-AVG

Post by WarHawk-AVG »

KC5AV wrote:While the officer was out of line, there is plenty of blame to go around for all parties concerned.
How..did you see the video...the officer didn't give the individual time to get the information..then tazed him the instant he got out of the car...NO THREAT present

WOW...good "Do NOT do this" training aid!
A sheepdog says "I will lead the way. I will set the highest standards. ...Your mission is to man the ramparts in this dark and desperate hour with honor and courage." - Lt. Col. Grossman
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’ - Edmond Burke

Topic author
Odin

Post by Odin »

Molon_labe wrote:
How..did you see the video...the officer didn't give the individual time to get the information..then tazed him the instant he got out of the car...NO THREAT present

WOW...good "Do NOT do this" training aid!
I disagree with your assessment of the video.

I don't think the officer handled the situation the best way he could have.

However, the officer did give the subject enough time to product ID, he did not Taser him immediately upon exiting the vehicle, and there was aggression on the part of the subject that may have led the officer to believe that the force used was proper.

Kalrog

Post by Kalrog »

FWIW: The police chief from a year ago agreed that the use of force was appropriate. The current police chief does not think the use of force was appropriate.

Topic author
Odin

Post by Odin »

FWIW: Neither the former nor the current chief of police was the one on the street facing the perceived threat and making split second decisions.

The same police officer can use the same force in 3 situations that look absolutely identical to the casual observer, and that force can be criminal in one case, lawful but against policy in another case, and lawful and within policy in the third case. Small details that often only the officer involved can perceive or observe can make all the difference.

dincote

taser

Post by dincote »

And thats why even if we dont agree, you dont question the man in the ground.

All the rest, is monday morning quarebacking

Jose

lws380

Post by lws380 »

Does anyone know if the officer was ever re-instated or active again?

I hope not. I don't think this guy deserves to be a cop!

Kalrog

Post by Kalrog »

lws380 wrote:Does anyone know if the officer was ever re-instated or active again?
I don't think he was ever reprimanded or fired to begin with. So he had nothing to be reinstated from.

lws380

Post by lws380 »

Kalrog wrote:
lws380 wrote:Does anyone know if the officer was ever re-instated or active again?
I don't think he was ever reprimanded or fired to begin with. So he had nothing to be reinstated from.
That's to bad.

Return to “Never Again!!”