Robbery Prevention / Tips (YEAH RIGHT)

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
dihappy
Posts in topic: 3

Robbery Prevention / Tips (YEAH RIGHT)

Post by dihappy »

I received these "tips" from our neighborhood police and would like some help on a statistic i saw once somewhere where it stated that it was better to resist and fight rather than cooperate? Can someone enlighten me on this "fact"

I seriously feel like writing our asst. police chief, no where does she mention any preventative measure (code yellow).
Nothing about being aware of your surroundings, nothing about parking in well lit areas, nothing about not going anywhere alone if you can help it, And of course nothing about defending yourself. SHEESH!

ROBBERY PREVENTION / TIPS
• If confronted, try to stay calm.
• If a suspect says they have a weapon, do not force their
bluff.
• When facing someone wielding a weapon do not resist,
cooperate.

• Never try to apprehend a suspect yourself.
• Mentally note the assailant’s appearance without staring.
• After the confrontation, go to the phone and dial 9-1-1 as
soon as possible.
• Robbers usually ‘case’ their target so look for people
loitering in a parking lot or acting nervous or ‘just not right’.
• Display height markers for identifying suspects.
• Keep small amounts of cash on hand if possible.
• Use a drop safe that is visible.

This information is provided by City of San Marcos Police Department.
For additional information, please contact
Lisa Dvorak, Assistant Chief of Police
San Marcos Police Department
2300 IH35 South
San Marcos, Texas 78666

flb_78
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Robbery Prevention / Tips (YEAH RIGHT)

Post by flb_78 »

This appears to be a list for a convenience store.

Note the "height markers".
http://www.AmarilloGunOwners.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Topic author
dihappy

Post by dihappy »

flb_78 wrote:This appears to be a list for a convenience store.

Note the "height markers".

Sure does. Looks like our Asst chief of police decided to just email a generic "convenience store robbery prevention/tips"
to our local Chamber Of Commerce for distribution.

I work in the hospitality industry and received this in my email. Doesnt seem much thought was taken in this distribution.

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

dihappy wrote:I received these "tips" from our neighborhood police and would like some help on a statistic i saw once somewhere where it stated that it was better to resist and fight rather than cooperate? Can someone enlighten me on this "fact"
What you are referring to is the Gary Kleck study. Here's a link: http://www.guncite.com/gcdgklec.html

As this memo appears to be aimed at retail stores, I have one gratuitous comment: In the good old days, robbers would do their business, take the money, and run. Those days are over. Now robbers shoot first, or take the money and then rape, brutalize, or kill the clerks and anyone who happens to be in the store.

- Jim

Odin

Post by Odin »

Looks like a list of tips that has been approved by the city attorney to me.

TX Rancher
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TX Rancher »

I don’t see anything wrong with what they said…they just didn’t complete their sentences…I’ve corrected them below (I’m sure this is what they really intended :grin: ):

• If confronted, try to stay calm. This will help buy you time to bring your weapon into play.
Bluff, just draw your weapon immediately and put the person down.
• When facing someone wielding a weapon do not resist, appear to cooperate until you have an opening to bring your firearm into play.
• Never try to apprehend a suspect yourself since this is very dangerous. It’s better just to shoot the perp and then hold them at gunpoint until the police arrive.
• Mentally note the assailant’s appearance without staring. Remember, your goal is to spot an opening so you can turn the tables on him.
soon as possible and be sure to tell them to send an ambulance for the BG who is bleeding on your floor. If appropriate, ask them to send the coroner.
• Robbers usually ‘case’ their target so look for people loitering in a parking lot or acting nervous or ‘just not right’.
• Keep small amounts of cash on hand if possible. While handing over these small amounts drop them to the floor and as the BG looks away from you draw and use your weapon.
• Use a drop safe that is visible so you can direct the BG’s attention to the safe so you can draw and use your weapon.

This information is provided by Tx Rancher and is therefore suspect due to his known flawed mental state.
For additional information, please contact the more rational people on this forum

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

TX Rancher wrote:I don’t see anything wrong with what they said…they just didn’t complete their sentences…I’ve corrected them below (I’m sure this is what they really intended :grin: ):

• If confronted, try to stay calm. This will help buy you time to bring your weapon into play.
• When facing someone wielding a weapon do not resist, appear to cooperate until you have an opening to bring your firearm into play.
• Never try to apprehend a suspect yourself since this is very dangerous. It’s better just to shoot the perp and then hold them at gunpoint until the police arrive.
• Mentally note the assailant’s appearance without staring. Remember, your goal is to spot an opening so you can turn the tables on him.
soon as possible and be sure to tell them to send an ambulance for the BG who is bleeding on your floor. If appropriate, ask them to send the coroner.
• Robbers usually ‘case’ their target so look for people loitering in a parking lot or acting nervous or ‘just not right’.
• Keep small amounts of cash on hand if possible. While handing over these small amounts drop them to the floor and as the BG looks away from you draw and use your weapon.
• Use a drop safe that is visible so you can direct the BG’s attention to the safe so you can draw and use your weapon.

This information is provided by Tx Rancher and is therefore suspect due to his known flawed mental state.
For additional information, please contact the more rational people on this forum
:smilelol5:

Kalrog

Post by Kalrog »

TX Rancher wrote:For additional information, please contact the more rational people on this forum
And just who would that be? :rolll

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ »

nicely done :hurry:
FWIW, IIRC, AFAIK, FTMP, IANAL. YMMV.

Topic author
dihappy

Post by dihappy »

haha, thats a good one.

And thanks Seamus

TX Rancher

Post by TX Rancher »

Kalrog wrote:
TX Rancher wrote:For additional information, please contact the more rational people on this forum
And just who would that be? :rolll
According to my wife, just about anyone else on the forum ;-)

JLaw

Post by JLaw »

seamusTX wrote:As this memo appears to be aimed at retail stores, I have one gratuitous comment: In the good old days, robbers would do their business, take the money, and run. Those days are over. Now robbers shoot first, or take the money and then rape, brutalize, or kill the clerks and anyone who happens to be in the store.

- Jim

+1.

JLaw
Six for sure.

Stupid

Post by Stupid »

fixed for ya. *smile
TX Rancher wrote:I don’t see anything wrong with what they said…they just didn’t complete their sentences…I’ve corrected them below (I’m sure this is what they really intended :grin: ):

• Mentally note the assailant’s appearance without staring. Remember where to aim. Only well aimed shots count.
• Display height markers for identifying suspects' height so that you can aim for the COM for double tap and a head shot as a proper follow-up.

Please help the wounded store owner who fought off 3 robbers. He doesn't have medical insurance.
http://www.giveforward.com/ramoncastillo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.click2houston.com/news/26249961/detail.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

There seems to be a trend with your re-write... :smilelol5: :thumbs2: :thumbs2: :thumbs2:

I am impressed, so therefore my mental state may also be suspect... "rlol"
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

dukalmighty

Post by dukalmighty »

Is this the guy that robbed you ....I'm not sure stand him up so i can see how tall he is,Hmm I'm not sure ,maybe the ballistics can prove the slugs in him came from my gun :fire
It is said that if you line up all the cars in the world end-to-end, someone would be stupid enough to try to pass them

Return to “Never Again!!”