Dog shoots, kills hunter

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
seamusTX
Posts in topic: 3

Dog shoots, kills hunter

Post by seamusTX »

Chambers Co., Jan. 8 -- A hunter placed his shotgun in the bed of his pickup truck. His dog stepped on the weapon, discharging it with fatal results.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5434984.html

Prayers for his family and friends.

What can we learn from this sad tale?

- Jim

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Dog shoots, kills hunter

Post by Keith B »

This happens every once in awhile. I can understand the ND. These dogs are all excited and dancing around in the vehicle. It is easy for them to get a toenail in the trigger and pull it. The question I have is why someone would lay their loaded shotgun on the seat, facing them, much less let a dog with muddy feet walk all over it.

It is sad, but avoidable.

Prayers for the family, friends and students.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Keith B wrote:The question I have is why someone would lay their loaded shotgun on the seat, facing them, much less let a dog with muddy feet walk all over it.
That's not quite what the newspaper says:
Perry Alvin Price III ... had shot down a goose but had not seen where it landed, sheriff's investigators said.

The 46-year-old math teacher ... then put his shotgun in the back of his truck and was about to open the tailgate to release his tracking dog when the shotgun fired, investigators said. The blast struck Price in the thigh.
- Jim

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Still, he laid it in the back of the truck and the dog stepped on it with muddy feet. Not something I would do, but I guess duck/goose hunters are used to having muddy shotguns.

Sad situation overall. Just goes to show that freeak accidents can happen and you need to take every safety precaustion you can.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

WarHawk-AVG
Posts in topic: 1

Post by WarHawk-AVG »

Dang..I graduated from Lee in '92

I wonder how long he was a teacher there...I recognize the name

Really sad
A sheepdog says "I will lead the way. I will set the highest standards. ...Your mission is to man the ramparts in this dark and desperate hour with honor and courage." - Lt. Col. Grossman
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’ - Edmond Burke

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Molon_labe wrote:I wonder how long he was a teacher there...I recognize the name
Price had been a fixture on that campus for 20 years.
- Jim

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

I wonder if the Dogs are getting ready for a revolution. There have been quite a few of these incidents lately. :totap: Accident my foot;

*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

Tactical_Texan_CHL

Post by Tactical_Texan_CHL »

I'm suprised by a dog revolution. Honestly, TXI, I would have expected it from the cats first. They're shifty animals. But in all seriousness. That's very sad, even more so because it could have been prevented.
TacTex
NRA Life Member

dukalmighty

Post by dukalmighty »

I'm all for banning dogs from posessing shotguns,it's getting out of control i understand there are a few breeds of hunting dogs but for the safety of other dogs we must confiscate the firearms from those dogs.Seriously though most hunting accidents can be averted with a little forethought,I'm guilty of climbing a barb wire fence with a hot gun with the safety on but one slip mis grab and somebody could get hurt,It seems like everytime somebody gets shot by their dog it's due to laying a loaded shotgun in the bed of the truck,but on the other hand i'm scared of gun muzzles pointed at me unless i'm cleaning it and it's broke down
It is said that if you line up all the cars in the world end-to-end, someone would be stupid enough to try to pass them

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

Anyone else remember the old (1960-1970's) commercials that were either public service or maybe NRA sponsored?

"Leave every gate as you find it" from the period when you could actually ask and be given permission to hunt on someone's land.

And showing hunters properly unloading their guns before crossing fences.

Probably more, but that's all I can remember.

Maybe they still run this type of spot in rural areas.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Pretty sad.

But not particularly unusual. I hang out on some of the national forums and recall 3 similar incidents in just one season a few years back. Thankfully, not all fatal. One involved a quail hunter who had laid gun on ground for a break. One was a truck bed incident similar to this one. Another involved a black lab who lit up the owner while he was out in the water putting out decoys - in the dark!
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

brewster

Post by brewster »

Very sad. I was about to write about why he deserved the Darwin award until I read the article. Maybe he could have done this differently, and a bit more carefully. But after reading the circumstances, I choose to simply say that it's unfortunate and it could happen to almost anyone. Bad deal. :confused5
"Everybody wang-chung tonight."

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

This tragic incident should remind us of several points of basic gun safety.

1. Safeties aren't really safe.

2. Unload your gun whenever you are not fully in control of it.

3. NEVER point a gun at yourself or any thing you don't intend to shoot.

We must also remember there is a guy named Murphy who is lurking just around the corner.

My condolences to the man's family.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

TxD

Post by TxD »

[quote="txinvestigator"]I wonder if the Dogs are getting ready for a revolution. There have been quite a few of these incidents lately. :totap: Accident my foot;
----------------------------------------------------
Information released yesterday stated the shot penetrated through the tailgate and struck the femoral artery in the leg.

I'd say accident.
Black Rifles Matter

Tactical_Texan_CHL

Post by Tactical_Texan_CHL »

I think TXI was just trying to bring some levity to a tragic situation. I know I was. It is a terrible thing. And like I said before, much worse because it could have been prevented.
TacTex
NRA Life Member

Return to “Never Again!!”