Why do people like to try and mess with me? Happened AGAIN!

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

How often do you see bad behavior while out that could possibly escalate to something worse?

More than once a month
16%
Once a month
14%
Once every 3 months
18%
Once a year
9%
Once every few years
18%
Very rarely/Never
26%

Total votes: 153

dihappy
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Why do people like to try and mess with me? Happened AGAIN!

Post by dihappy »

I cant say that i would have sped off all Dukes of Hazard style, but what i would have done is called 911 from the gas station and given a description and i wouldnt have left until the cops had gotten there.

NcongruNt
Posts in topic: 4

Post by NcongruNt »

lawrnk wrote:
NcongruNt wrote:
Russell wrote: Also, I don't know if I would have made all of those stunt driver moves you made to attempt to get away, as was mentioned above you could have gotten into an accident that would have made your situation exponentially worse. If he's not ramming you from behind I would have just driven at a normal pace and called the police on my cell phone.
He was verbally threatened with deadly force back at the gas station. If someone threatened me whom I believed had a gun and was chasing me, I'd make it as difficult as possible for him to make good on that threat. As was also mentioned, he had specific training in this kind of driving, so I have no problem with his utilization of those skills in his effort to escape. I also doubt that he was doing so with abandon for the safety of other drivers.
As a CHL, what can you do if your life is threatened verbally?
Same as anyone else. There's no immediate threat, and unless specific physical action is taken by the thug that can be construed as force that may result in serious injury or death, you have no place drawing or making threat of deadly force yourself. In the least, you can notify the police and they can press charges that he made terroristic threats.

In this situation, things became escalated beyond simple verbal threats on the road. As the guy had previously made verbal threats, and is now involved in predatory behavior, there is much more of a basis for the use of deadly force had things come to more serious terms (say nitrogen had a blowout and the thug stopped and approached his vehicle in a menacing manner). I would say drawing on an approaching guy who had just made verbal threats of deadly force, then followed up with predatory aggressive behavior on the road would be considered reasonable use of deadly force by a Grand Jury.
NRA Member
TSRA Member
My Blog: All You Really Need

PUCKER

Post by PUCKER »

I've had a few run-ins at the gas station - typically with cranky older guys, I just blow it off - your situation was definitely different. I have a tendency to make eye contact with most everyone around me (a - for situational awareness; b - as I tend to generally be a friendly person).

Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

nitrogen wrote: and he basically said that I tend to "stare people down" when entering an area. I've always chalked it up to just being aware of my surroundings, but he said it tends to freak people out. Also apparently, my grooming and dress (Shaved head, and sunglasses, nice shirts and slacks) make me look like "A Mafia Hitman"

I''m not quite sure what to do about that.

Also, apparently I sneer a lot. :shock: Thats probably caused by allergies and having a full nose many times.

Amazing to realize just how much little things I never paid attention to can affect others. :shock: :shock:
Others notice things about us that we never see. It was good that you got his insight.

Since you wear sunglasses anyway, invest in a pair that are extremely dark. Practice aiming your face in one direction while checking out something from the corners of your eyes.
You mentioned that you dress nice. Are you also wearing expensive jewelry? This could make you a target for both property and b/c gang members could see you as a rival.
As for the sneering, you can start getting those allergies under control. It would make you more comfortable to do so anyway. I recommend NeilMed's Sinus Rinse. It can be found in most pharmacies. It is essentially a saline solution flushed through your nasal cavities to kill bacteria and flush out mucus. It isn't pretty, but it's effective. If you need more information, PM me. (I can also give you a stronger saline recipe that is more effective and cheaper to make.)

I think you responded to this in the best way you could, given your training and the scenario. Personally, I think you would have been justified had you drawn your weapon at the second gas pump, but you saved yourself some legal fees by getting away from him.
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

KD5NRH
Posts in topic: 5

Post by KD5NRH »

Venus Pax wrote:Since you wear sunglasses anyway, invest in a pair that are extremely dark. Practice aiming your face in one direction while checking out something from the corners of your eyes.
Also, you might try some peripheral vision exercises; read a book while your eyes stay focused on the page number, working up to reading a newspaper while looking completely over the page. Some people are better than others at this, but it's a useful skill to have at any level.
I recommend NeilMed's Sinus Rinse. It can be found in most pharmacies. It is essentially a saline solution flushed through your nasal cavities to kill bacteria and flush out mucus.
Also, if you're already a nicotine user (I wouldn't encourage anyone to start, but if you're already hooked like me, one more form doesn't matter much.) you might look into nasal snuff; it's not a full-time solution, but some brands will help sinus drainage temporarily, and it's a bit less inconvenient than carrying saline everywhere. Besides, the menthols and some of the other strongly scented ones will cover up nearly any stench for a few minutes.

brewster
Posts in topic: 2

Post by brewster »

shaggydog wrote:Perhaps your problem is that you frequent places similar to “230grain.com� (the link in your signature line). I clicked on it out of curiosity and extremely sorry that I did.

Almost every post on every thread that I looked at was rife with profanity for, it seemed, profanities sake alone. Apparently the members of that forum do not have the ability to express themselves as adults or rather, they seem to adhere to the philosophy that the more profane one is, the more “grown up� they appear.

How child-like.

How sad.
Shaggy, I fail to see what his tag line or visiting another site has to do with this thread. Assuming his account was indeed factual, I think he was pretty cool-headed (we can debate the stunt driving elsewhere), especially for someone who had the "power" to lose his cool and change several lives in an instant. If he's looking at people wrong and not knowing it, he will have to work on that. But, deriving the conclusion that this issue occured because of a character flaw that he possesses, which is "evidenced" by visiting websites with strong language is a stretch. It would appear that this issue occurred because that kid was a punk. I our fellow poster's reaction showed the opposite character, yet it seems you've concluded him to irresponsibly attract trouble based on your profile of who visits 230grain.com.

Even if 230grain.com is less than well-mannered, perhaps he goes there because he likes guns, and can derive something useful by it without being bothered by language that doesn't comply with the 10 year-old daughter rule. I go to lots of firearm related sites. This site is more family friendly than many, and hats off to Mr. Cotton for running it. However, that doesn't prevent me from going to others. Here's a kicker for ya...I might even look at naked girls on the web every now and then... :drool: That doesn't make me any less responsible as a CHL holder or a citizen in general. And I'm not defending 230grain.com, either. Just saying your comment appeared to be unfairly judgemental toward him as a person, and not directed at the context of the thread.

We can always debate the ills of bad language on another thread. :evil2:
"Everybody wang-chung tonight."

stormbringerr

Post by stormbringerr »

maybe it would have been better for you not to loose him.
just keep him driving behind you so the cops could get him as you are on phone telling them where your at.
he might have got out of the car at a red light though,causing you to do something. did the cops say anything about getting other calls about this punk.
im glad you kept your cool,i know this idiot will end up behind bars pretty soon acting like this.i also guarantee you he wont act this way in prison, which is where hes headed.
no one ever seems to bother me but,i tend to gestalt rooms when i walk in and i also dont like a lot of attention so i....don't know exactly how i do it but,i tend to make myself invisible somewhat. :coolgleamA:
later, Stormbringerr

Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you.
Carl Jung

asleepatthereel

Post by asleepatthereel »

I wouldnt be surprised if the punk has already ran into someone who showed less restraint than you did and didnt 'give a warning' to him. Idiots like that are always getting Darwin Awards for their lack of social skills. Glad everything worked for the best for you.
When he made reference to 'popping a cap', I would have made sure my hand was on my protection and ready for the worst. It only takes seconds for bad things to come from situations like this. One more reason to carry something small enough to fit in your front pocket. one hand on the gun and the other pumping gas.
Not to be critical, but I might have considered going elsewhere for my gas while he filled up. Just my 2cents though. :txflag:
Theres room for all Gods creatures. Right between the corn and taters!

15 Dec Applied online
Plastic in hand 30 Apr
Kimber Stainles Ultra Carry II
Colt Defender
M1991A-1 Series 80
Yep. I like .45s
Join and support the NRA today!

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

Yep, that's Garland for ya... I have nothing constructive and non-racial to say. I would have stood my ground at the first pump... I'm sorry, I don't see your name on the gas pump, are you sure that this one is yours? Screw that guy...
but then again, I have been told by my wife's friends that I've met for the first time that I give off a "secret service" vibe. I was a Security Guard (insert favorite rent-a-cop joke here) and am generally aware, and always looking and observing. I typically just stand around, stay quiet, and watch people. I might have backed down just to keep from having to shoot someone, because that is certainly where it could have gone in this situation...
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

BrassMonkey
Posts in topic: 3

Post by BrassMonkey »

brewster wrote:
shaggydog wrote:Perhaps your problem is that you frequent places similar to “230grain.com� (the link in your signature line). I clicked on it out of curiosity and extremely sorry that I did.

Almost every post on every thread that I looked at was rife with profanity for, it seemed, profanities sake alone. Apparently the members of that forum do not have the ability to express themselves as adults or rather, they seem to adhere to the philosophy that the more profane one is, the more “grown up� they appear.

How child-like.

How sad.
Shaggy, I fail to see what his tag line or visiting another site has to do with this thread. Assuming his account was indeed factual, I think he was pretty cool-headed (we can debate the stunt driving elsewhere), especially for someone who had the "power" to lose his cool and change several lives in an instant. If he's looking at people wrong and not knowing it, he will have to work on that. But, deriving the conclusion that this issue occured because of a character flaw that he possesses, which is "evidenced" by visiting websites with strong language is a stretch. It would appear that this issue occurred because that kid was a punk. I our fellow poster's reaction showed the opposite character, yet it seems you've concluded him to irresponsibly attract trouble based on your profile of who visits 230grain.com.

Even if 230grain.com is less than well-mannered, perhaps he goes there because he likes guns, and can derive something useful by it without being bothered by language that doesn't comply with the 10 year-old daughter rule. I go to lots of firearm related sites. This site is more family friendly than many, and hats off to Mr. Cotton for running it. However, that doesn't prevent me from going to others. Here's a kicker for ya...I might even look at naked girls on the web every now and then... :drool: That doesn't make me any less responsible as a CHL holder or a citizen in general. And I'm not defending 230grain.com, either. Just saying your comment appeared to be unfairly judgemental toward him as a person, and not directed at the context of the thread.

We can always debate the ills of bad language on another thread. :evil2:
There are naked girls on the internet?
BrassMonkey, that funky monkey....
===========================
Springfield TRP
Glock 22
Glock 21
Walther P22

Rokyudai

Post by Rokyudai »

Brass,

It has been confirmed that the internet does indeed have such content. But you didn't hear it from me. :leaving
NRA Benefactor Member

BrassMonkey
Posts in topic: 3

Post by BrassMonkey »

WOW,
So THAT'S why Al Gore invented it... :patriot:
BrassMonkey, that funky monkey....
===========================
Springfield TRP
Glock 22
Glock 21
Walther P22

Topic author
nitrogen
Posts in topic: 4

Post by nitrogen »

BrassMonkey wrote:WOW,
So THAT'S why Al Gore invented it... :patriot:
I thought it was for the "free" software.

P.S. I love you guys. :rock"

Another small update; my wife says when I smile, I tend to not look so "menacing" so i've been doing more of that lately. The new job makes that easier :lol:
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

brewster
Posts in topic: 2

Post by brewster »

BrassMonkey wrote: There are naked girls on the internet?
Yeah!!! I found three sites already that contain partial nudity!!!! (no, I will not share) :anamatedbanana
"Everybody wang-chung tonight."

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Gentlemen,
the topic is "Why do people like to try and mess with me? Happened AGAIN! Not nudity.
This needs to get back on topic please.
LT
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Return to “Never Again!!”