Are you locked and loaded?

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

ELB
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Are you locked and loaded?

Post by ELB »

I got drilled pretty heavily in conducting a chamber check after loading my pistol (or anytime it has been out of my immediate control), and to double check the magazine seating -- holstering and then tugging on it to make sure it is seated properly. Not fun to draw the pistol and have it go click or have the mag fall out.

elb
USAF 1982-2005

garcia946

Post by garcia946 »

Locked and Loaded here , Carry a Glock 27
NRA Instructor/RSO
Glock 27 .40 , Sig P229 .40
Right To Carry CHL

lawrnk

Post by lawrnk »

hkshooter wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote: * For now, when I carry the H&K, it is decocked with safety off. [/size]
That's how I carry my HK. I'm more worried about forgetting the safety than the long trigger pull. I just don't train enough with disabling the safety on draw.
My unaltered g22 has no trigger issue. It is short and snappy.
Member- TSRA
Life Member- NRA

KC5AV
Posts in topic: 4

Post by KC5AV »

I've noticed quite a bit of slack in the trigger of my G23. Is there a simple way to correct that?

My wife and I are going around in circles on whether I should carry a round in the chamber. She is vehemently opposed to the idea, but isn't going to change my mind on the issue.
NRA lifetime member

Hyunchback

Post by Hyunchback »

I've had all my Glock triggers worked on with the primary change being a "Ghost" trigger kit.

The first time I took my G 21 SF to the range I nearly put a blister on my trigger finger because the trigger was HEAVY. That was only about 50 rounds.

Now don't even notice it, such as when firing the IDPA Classifier which is more rounds.
What is Project One Million: Texas?
The "Project" is a grassroots effort to increase the number of Texans who are members of the National Rifle Association from 250.000 to 1,000,000.
http://www.projectonemilliontexas.com/

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

The pull on mine isn't heavy at all. There's just quite a bit of distance to move the trigger before it actually fires. I'd like to reduce that, if possible.
NRA lifetime member

boomerang

Post by boomerang »

My Glock is loaded but not locked.
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flintknapper »

KC5AV wrote: My wife and I are going around in circles on whether I should carry a round in the chamber. She is vehemently opposed to the idea, but isn't going to change my mind on the issue.

With an EMPTY gun....have her stand across an average size room (12 feet)... while you charge at her as fast as you can.

See if she can present the weapon, chamber a DUMMY round, and get it on target before you can reach her. (it won't happen)

If you are not in good physical condition...enlist the help of someone young and in good shape to make the point.

The lesson here is a simple one: All modern defensive pistols (in proper working order) are safe to carry with a round in the chamber. In time of crisis, you will need every second (and tenth of a second) you can get....to react to a threat.

Unfortunately, "feelings" often override common sense and logic.

So...you may have to let her warm up to the idea even though you have demonstrated the need to be "at the ready".
Last edited by flintknapper on Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

nedmoore

Post by nedmoore »

I am going to get one. Just waiting.

Glock 23

Post by Glock 23 »

i pondered whether to carry a round chambered or not when I first got my chl.
took me a couple days to realize that a chambering delay = death in a bad situation. Im also very confident in the safeties. It wont fire unless I want it to.

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

flintknapper wrote:
KC5AV wrote: My wife and I are going around in circles on whether I should carry a round in the chamber. She is vehemently opposed to the idea, but isn't going to change my mind on the issue.

With an EMPTY gun....have her stand across an average size room (12 feet)... while you charge at her as fast as you can.

See if she can present the weapon, chamber a DUMMY round, and get it on target before you can reach her. (it won't happen)

If you are not in good physical condition...enlist the help of someone young and in good shape to make the point.

The lesson here is a simple one: All modern defensive pistols (in proper working order) are safe to carry with a round in the chamber. In time of crisis, you will need every second (and tenth of a second) you can get....to react to a threat.

Unfortunately, "feelings" often override common sense and logic.

So...you may have to let her warm up to the idea even though you have demonstrated the need to be "at the ready".
Even if you are in relatively poor health she will not be able to charge her weapon before you get to her. About 10 days ago I taught an awareness & verbal assertiveness class to several ladies at one of their homes. On that day I was out of the hospital just less than a month w/ a full knee replacement. At 12 ft (that was as far away as I could get in the living room) one of the ladies could not draw her revolver before I got to her hands & simulate hitting her.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

I'm trying to decide whether I should press the issue with my wife, or just leave it alone. She is still adjusting to the idea of my carrying a gun in the first place, and isn't comfortable with guns at all. I don't want to do anything to further alienate her.

I've gotten her to agree to at least go shooting with me. I'm just afraid that the recoil from my Glock 23 will be more than she wants to deal with. I may have to find something with a little less perceived recoil before her first trip to the range.
NRA lifetime member

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

KC5AV wrote:I'm trying to decide whether I should press the issue with my wife, or just leave it alone. She is still adjusting to the idea of my carrying a gun in the first place, and isn't comfortable with guns at all. I don't want to do anything to further alienate her.

I've gotten her to agree to at least go shooting with me. I'm just afraid that the recoil from my Glock 23 will be more than she wants to deal with. I may have to find something with a little less perceived recoil before her first trip to the range.

"Let sleeping dogs lay/lie".

No disrespect or inference toward your wife, with my use of the idiom.

Give her time. She is just unfamiliar and uncomfortable with the whole firearms thing right now.

If you take her shooting...it might be a good idea to take a friend of hers along too.

Also, I highly recommend that beginners start with a .22 (rimfire).

Good luck....and be patient.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

Thanks for the encouragement. I hope it's just a matter of time, and that she will come around more to my way of thinking. It's a journey.
NRA lifetime member

dukalmighty

Post by dukalmighty »

As far as an introductory handgun any 22 target pistol would be a great start,I have a S&W 22A,as far as cocked and locked I have a SigPro 2022 in .40 and i shoot left handed,problem is that the mag release button stuck out far enough and released so easy that it would get bumped sitting in an armchair etc,or during firing my index finger would bump it dumping the mag :shock: .Not a gun i would trust my life with,until i tookmy dremel and found out the mag button is solid aluminum,I slowly removed enough material to where the button can't be accidently buped releasing the mag, but where a push with my index finger drops it.I now carry it without worrying about the mag dropping out in any situation unless i want it too.
It is said that if you line up all the cars in the world end-to-end, someone would be stupid enough to try to pass them

Return to “Never Again!!”