Target Identification

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

GlockenHammer
Posts in topic: 2

Re: My target ID story

Post by GlockenHammer »

cxm wrote:IMHO, you were lucky you didn't have a "hot" entry on your hands... the time you took to deploy your weapon, fit the light etc. could have been critical and could have gotten you or your family hurt.

Not trying to be rude in any way, but some refresher training is always good in low light shooting.
Not trying to be rude, but just how long did I take?

The point is about target identification. Take whatever time you need to make sure you don't shoot someone you'll wish you hadn't. Use a light if needed. Use your voice. Just because the hair is standing up on the back of your neck does not mean that you should shoot the first thing you suspect is a bad guy, especially in your own home. Charles' story is a perfect example, both he and his father had every right to think the other person in their house was a bad guy, but thank God that both of them had the discipline to identify their target before they committed the bullet. The world is full of sad stories of people who did not identify their target.

P.S. The light is already afixed to the gun when it goes in the safe. The safe is a push-button code that takes about a second to open and is in the closet next to my side of the bed.

cxm
Posts in topic: 4

Re: My target ID story

Post by cxm »

From reading your post it sounded different than what you describe in the follow up... when you say safe I see large 800 lb. boxes with combination locks.

In your original post you said " I went to the safe and retrieved my glock with attached M3 weapon light and began to look out from my bedroom." It sounds like it took some time to do that. I did mis-read about the light being attached... my error there.

However, time is not your friend in such a situation... and too fast or too slow can be deadly. There is no easy answer to exactly what to do... We (all of us) must be able to quickly and correctly identify targets and identify non-targets.

Thunder Ranch taught (with good reason) that you need to have some sort of pre established challenge and response in a home situation. A way to positively identify a "friendly" is a big advantage out of the starting gate.

Best overall advice I have heard is "make great haste...carefully."

V/r

Chuck

[/quote]Not trying to be rude, but just how long did I take?

The point is about target identification. Take whatever time you need to make sure you don't shoot someone you'll wish you hadn't. Use a light if needed. Use your voice. Just because the hair is standing up on the back of your neck does not mean that you should shoot the first thing you suspect is a bad guy, especially in your own home. Charles' story is a perfect example, both he and his father had every right to think the other person in their house was a bad guy, but thank God that both of them had the discipline to identify their target before they committed the bullet. The world is full of sad stories of people who did not identify their target.

P.S. The light is already afixed to the gun when it goes in the safe. The safe is a push-button code that takes about a second to open and is in the closet next to my side of the bed.[/quote]
Hoist on High the Bonnie Blue Flag That Bears the Single Star!

Return to “Never Again!!”