So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
seamusTX
Posts in topic: 3

Easy pickings for car thieves

Post by seamusTX »

From the Galveston County Daily News, this date:
FRIENDSWOOD — Burglars stole items, including guns, from cars Thursday night or early Friday morning, police said.

The burglaries happened in the 2200 and 2300 blocks of Pine Drive; the 2000 and 2200 blocks of Airline Drive; the 300, 400 and 700 blocks of Oak Drive; and the 2000 block of Butler Drive.

All of the vehicles had been left unlocked.

One of the guns was a revolver, the other a semi-automatic. Other items stolen include a bank card, a digital music player, a GPS system and change.
The addresses give are within 1/4 mile in a residential neighboorhood.The thief or thieves were likely local kids.

- Jim

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Easy pickings for car thieves

Post by Keith B »

Even locked won't stop a lot of kids. My car was broken into about 3 weeks ago. They first tried the drivers window and scratched it. Then pried between what they thought was the door post and windshield, but was actually the sail post and windshield and cracked it in two places. Then they pried 4 places on the passenger door before successfully breaking the window. Very amateurish job as they left prints all over the car. Of course, being it was probably kids, they will have no entries in the system to cross reference. They stole my owners manual and the faceplate and microphone from a ham radio (not gonna do them any good without the main body) which is about $120 total cost for me to replace.

This all occurred about 7:30 in the evening with the car behind the house in the driveway. We heard a noise, but it was really windy and just thought it was one of the neighbors yard items blowing over. Discovered the break-in about 2 hours later. Total damage was $1500 to the car, plus replacement of the radio face plate and owners manual. :mad5

I hate rear entry homes with the alley in the rear.
:banghead:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

tarkus
Posts in topic: 1

Post by tarkus »

Russell wrote:Stupidity at its finest. If you are going to leave a gun in the car, which you shouldn't be in the first place, LOCK YOUR DOOR. :roll:
Don't blame the victim. Women shouldn't have to wear traditional muslim clothes to avoid being raped.

The answer is to lock up or shoot the crooks. The moral high road is for criminals to pay for their crimes.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it's on the internet, thank a geek.

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

Say you leave your legally owned handgun in your vehicle that is unattended and unlocked. A minor gets the gun from your car and shoots someone, or maybe even himself. Could the vehicle/gun owner be libel for giving a child access to an unsecured firearm?
I am scared of empty guns and keep mine loaded at all times. The family knows the guns are loaded and treats them with respect. Loaded guns cause few accidents; empty guns kill people every year. -Elmer Keith. 1961

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

The penal code (PC §46.13) makes gaining a weapon by theft an exception to prosecution.

One could be held civilly liable and wouldn't have a strong defense, IMHO.

- Jim

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

Keith B wrote:and the faceplate and microphone from a ham radio (not gonna do them any good without the main body) which is about $120 total cost for me to replace.
What radio did you have in the car?
NRA lifetime member

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

KC5AV wrote:
Keith B wrote:and the faceplate and microphone from a ham radio (not gonna do them any good without the main body) which is about $120 total cost for me to replace.
What radio did you have in the car?
Have an Alinco DR-610 dual-bander, which is not made any longer, so had to find a used faceplate and microphone,which I did for $120.

These kids are looking for money or electronic items (GPS, radar detectors, MP3 players, etc.) that they can pawn or sell to get money for drugs. It is amazing the boldness they have and the lengths they will go to to get in.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

seamusTX wrote:The penal code (PC §46.13) makes gaining a weapon by theft an exception to prosecution.

- Jim

Ok, let's change it up a bit. You're unlocked car containing your unsecured handgun is parked on the curb in front of your house. A neighbor's 6yr old and friends are playing in the street. 6yr old ends up inside your car, finds gun, shoots self or friend.

What does the penal code say about that?
I am scared of empty guns and keep mine loaded at all times. The family knows the guns are loaded and treats them with respect. Loaded guns cause few accidents; empty guns kill people every year. -Elmer Keith. 1961

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

It's a class A misdemeanor. PC §46.13.

It also opens you up to being sued big-time.

- Jim

boomerang

Post by boomerang »

HighVelocity wrote:Ok, let's change it up a bit. You're unlocked car containing your unsecured handgun is parked on the curb in front of your house. A neighbor's 6yr old and friends are playing in the street.
Where were the parents? Why did they let a 6yr old play in traffic?

Parents need to parent their children. I shouldn't be expected to build Fort Knox around my backyard pool.
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

boomerang wrote:
HighVelocity wrote:Ok, let's change it up a bit. You're unlocked car containing your unsecured handgun is parked on the curb in front of your house. A neighbor's 6yr old and friends are playing in the street.
Where were the parents? Why did they let a 6yr old play in traffic?

Parents need to parent their children. I shouldn't be expected to build Fort Knox around my backyard pool.
Sadly, if someone is trespassing on your property, and gets injured, there is a good possibility that you CAN be held liable.
NRA lifetime member

HKUSP45C

Post by HKUSP45C »

HighVelocity wrote:
seamusTX wrote:The penal code (PC §46.13) makes gaining a weapon by theft an exception to prosecution.

- Jim

Ok, let's change it up a bit. You're unlocked car containing your unsecured handgun is parked on the curb in front of your house. A neighbor's 6yr old and friends are playing in the street. 6yr old ends up inside your car, finds gun, shoots self or friend.

What does the penal code say about that?
It's the tresspassing that makes the defense, not the theft.
Here are the defenses in their entirety (emphasis mine):

(c) It is an affirmative defense to prosecution under this section that the child's access to the firearm:
(1) was supervised by a person older than 18 years of age and was for hunting, sporting, or other lawful purposes;
(2) consisted of lawful defense by the child of people or property;
(3) was gained by entering property in violation of this code; or
(4) occurred during a time when the actor was engaged in an agricultural enterprise.
(d) Except as provided by Subsection (c), an offense under this section is a Class C misdemeanor.
(e) An offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor if the child discharges the firearm and causes death or serious bodily injury to himself or another person.
(f) A peace officer or other person may not arrest the actor before the seventh day after the date on which the offense is committed if:
(1) the actor is a member of the family, as defined by Section 71.003, Family Code, of the child who discharged the firearm; and
(2) the child discharging the firearm caused the death of or serious injury to the child.
(g) A dealer of firearms shall post in a conspicuous position on the premises where the dealer conducts business a sign that contains the following warning in block letters not less than one inch in height:
"IT IS UNLAWFUL TO STORE, TRANSPORT, OR ABANDON AN UNSECURED FIREARM IN A PLACE WHERE CHILDREN ARE LIKELY TO BE AND CAN OBTAIN ACCESS TO THE FIREARM."

texasmr2

Post by texasmr2 »

I deterred a potential handgun sale the other day, it's not like I get commision's anyway, to a guy who just wanted something to keep in his car :roll: ! Ignorance must be bliss :reddevil !
Peace Officer

Return to “Never Again!!”