Animal control officer fired after shooting at dog

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
seamusTX
Posts in topic: 9

Animal control officer fired after shooting at dog

Post by seamusTX »

An animal control officer in Santa Fe, Texas, was walking his 5-year-old son to the school bus stop when a "pit bull" approached them aggressively. They retreated to the house. The dog attempted to get through the door and pushed in a window. The homeowner retrieved a Glock pistol and shot at the dog but didn't hit it.

The man then talked to the dog's owner, and the conversation became a bit heated.

Police issued a citation to the dog owner for letting the animal run loose. They did not cite the animal control officer.

The dog owner later complained to the animal control officer's employer, the Galveston County Health District.

Yesterday the man received a letter stating that he would be fired unless he appealed.

http://www.galvnews.com/story.lasso?ewc ... 2d7ad90d7e

"Shoot, shovel, and shut up," I say.

- Jim

drw

Re: Animal control officer fired after shooting at dog

Post by drw »

“due to your firing a gun at an animal and using abusive language toward a citizen.�

The language he was using with the dog owner was completely inappropriate and he deserved the reprimand he got. You can't knock on a door and cuss out the owner, regardless of what their dog has done. His mouth is probably what got him fired.

On our farm we practice the "three S'es", by the way. Shoot, Shovel, Silence.

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Personally, I don't think someone should be fired for using language that is milder than that heard on the floor of the U.S. Senate.

- Jim

drw

Post by drw »

Well, he was in uniform and using abusive language with the dog owner. That's unprofessional and gives a bad image to the animal control office he works for. Would you want someone knocking on your door while you were at work, and talking to your wife or daughter like that? I would be furious.

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

I agree that it's unprofessional. In an ideal world, everyone would have perfect manners.

But the woman's dog had just gone after the guy's young son. When he told her to confine the dog (which she is legally required to do), she ignored him. I don't blame him for losing his temper.

- Jim

tallmike
Posts in topic: 3

Post by tallmike »

seamusTX wrote:I agree that it's unprofessional. In an ideal world, everyone would have perfect manners.

But the woman's dog had just gone after the guy's young son. When he told her to confine the dog (which she is legally required to do), she ignored him. I don't blame him for losing his temper.

- Jim
Why dont you blame him? Its always your fault if you lose your temper so he deserves to be blamed for it.

He wore his uniform when he went over there, and as long as he is wearing it he is a representative of his employer. As a representative he said things he should not have said. Thats what got him in trouble.

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Do you think everyone should be fired for being less than perfect? No one would have a job in that case.

He used a word that is commonly heard on TV and is found in the Bible. He didn't cuss a blue streak.

- Jim
Fear, anger, hatred, and greed. The devil's all-you-can-eat buffet.

austin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by austin »

The dog owner is lucky that his dog did not attack and kill someone. A cursing is the least of his worries.

If I screwed up, I'd prefer that someone chew me out, rather than my dog kill someone.

I'd be very ashamed if my dog did that.

IMHO the control officer should sue his neighbor now that it has become personal.
drw wrote:Well, he was in uniform and using abusive language with the dog owner. That's unprofessional and gives a bad image to the animal control office he works for. Would you want someone knocking on your door while you were at work, and talking to your wife or daughter like that? I would be furious.

drw

Post by drw »

austin wrote:I'd be very ashamed if my dog did that.
In my experience, irresponsible dog owners have no shame, and instead get angry when they are confronted with their reckless negligence. There should be more severe penalties for these kinds of people, like prison time for repeat offenders.
austin wrote:IMHO the control officer should sue his neighbor now that it has become personal.
+1

tallmike

Post by tallmike »

austin wrote:IMHO the control officer should sue his neighbor now that it has become personal.
IMHO he should not have put on his uniform shirt to go out and confront the dog/owner.

He can say he put it on because he was getting ready for work, but come on, he put the shirt on to add authority to his words when he confronted the owner. With that added authority comes added responsibility.

seamusTX wrote:Do you think everyone should be fired for being less than perfect? No one would have a job in that case.

He used a word that is commonly heard on TV and is found in the Bible. He didn't cuss a blue streak.

- Jim
1 word?
"He also uttered a few other choice words while walking away, but said they were under his breath and not directed toward the dog owner."
What he said here is key, and we get no details of it. My guess is this part was where he ran his mouth in an unprofessional manner. No directed at the dog owner? Please... Of course it was and we all know it. She did too.

lws380
Posts in topic: 1

Post by lws380 »

If he was a better shot then maybe he would not be in such a predicament. :fire

dustyb
Posts in topic: 6

Post by dustyb »

Uniform or not, the dog owner deserved some harsh words for letting her pitt bull run loose in a residential neighborhood. Mr. McAvin may be an animal control officer, but he is also a father. His 5 year old, or him, could have been seriously injured. My only criticism of Mr. McAvin is that he did not use a shotgun.

tallmike

Post by tallmike »

dustyb wrote:Uniform or not, the dog owner deserved some harsh words for letting her pitt bull run loose in a residential neighborhood. Mr. McAvin may be an animal control officer, but he is also a father. His 5 year old, or him, could have been seriously injured. My only criticism of Mr. McAvin is that he did not use a shotgun.
Dont get me wrong, I mostly agree with you. The owner deserves more than a ticket, that dog should be destroyed because it is dangerous and the owner should have to pay the costs for it.

If I were this guy I would probably have done the same things he did, except for putting the uniform on (and hopefully the missing part too). The uniform was the only part where I think he went off course.

Once he chose to put on the uniform he stopped doing what he was doing as a concerned father and he became an animal control officer. Concerned fathers can cuss out irresponsible dog owners, the dog catcher can not.

dustyb
Posts in topic: 6

Post by dustyb »

tallmike wrote:If I were this guy I would probably have done the same things he did, except for putting the uniform on (and hopefully the missing part too). The uniform was the only part where I think he went off course.

Once he chose to put on the uniform he stopped doing what he was doing as a concerned father and he became an animal control officer. Concerned fathers can cuss out irresponsible dog owners, the dog catcher can not.
I wouldn't have put the uniform on either.

Return to “Never Again!!”