Whoopsie-Doopsie

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Coup
Posts in topic: 1

Whoopsie-Doopsie

Post by Coup »

Well my tooling experience with firearms has always been a learning process, but the other day when my Yugo SKS 59/66 arrived, I had to get to work. I got it a bit cheaper since the safety catch spring was missing, but a replacement was included. All I had to do was install it! When a friend and I got to work, we didn't realize one important thing - you need to use a "starter" punch or center punch to get pins moving BEFORE using a regular punch. With the trigger assembly sitting before us, we tried as best we could to get the pins out - fifty years of sitting in the firearm had made them tough as nails. We even designed a little contraption out of wood that would keep the 3/32 punch on center while we hammered into it to get the pin out. Well, the first pin eventually came out - after about an hour. Once we extracted the pin from the wood, we came to see it was BENT! Plus all that hammering made the whole assembly rather awkward - all of this could be avoided if we started with the center punch, which apparently is common knowledge and thus made me feel like a fool.

LESSON: DO NOT start pushing out fifty-year old pins from a collectible rifle using a regular punch - USE THE STARTER / CENTER PUNCH! Tsk tsk for me...

HighVelocity

Re: Whoopsie-Doopsie

Post by HighVelocity »

If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer. After all, it would be unheard of to look for guidance before trying to do it ourselves. We're MEN for crying out loud!
I am scared of empty guns and keep mine loaded at all times. The family knows the guns are loaded and treats them with respect. Loaded guns cause few accidents; empty guns kill people every year. -Elmer Keith. 1961

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Instructions? We ain't got no instructions. We don't need no instructions! I don't have to use any stinkin' instructions! :smilelol5:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

fire128

Post by fire128 »

If ya cant fix it with a hammer, you got an electrical problem :smash: :smash: :smash: :anamatedbanana

Return to “Never Again!!”