I was made by a total stranger - and it went OK

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
tallmike
Posts in topic: 1

I was made by a total stranger - and it went OK

Post by tallmike »

I went to Sams Club with the family this evening to do some shopping. As usual they have lots of ladies handing out samples of the food they are trying to push for the week.

Well, I was sampling the shrimp and something funny was said while I was standing right next to the lady who was handing out the samples. I was behind the sample table, I came up on that side of her to get my sample and the guy in front of the table and I made some comments to each other that made her laugh.

Well, she leaned over and placed her hand on my waist as she laughed. Yep, right on the handle of my Glock. Not sure what she thought, but if she has any idea what a gun feels like she knew what it was. Her hand placement was perfect, all on my gun and none on my waist.

Neither she nor I flinched. I rotated my hips away and we finished laughing. No uncomfortable moments at all and nothing was said.

I guess I could have been a little more aware of my surroundings but honestly I never expected the 60-70 something little old lady to reach for my gun. =)

Double Naught Spy

Re: I was made by a total stranger - and it went OK

Post by Double Naught Spy »

I doubt you were made by her. Chances are that she doesn't know what a gun feels like versus any number of items you might be carrying. So how do you know if you were made if she didn't say anything?

old farmer

Post by old farmer »

Morn' :tiphat:
Why did she place her hand on your hip? :roll: Was she hitting on YOU? :thumbs2:
:tiphat:
God Bliss America.

THE ENGINEER

Post by THE ENGINEER »

Not sure about anyone else, but I would have removed her hand very quickly if placed anywhere near my weapon.

austin

Post by austin »

I got fitted at Nordstoms two weeks ago. The seamstress lifted my shirt and revealed my pistol at AIWB. She got her measurements like it was nothing.

Last week I had my BP taken and the nurse hit my pistol while wrapping the pressure cuff. She got a but flustered when her hand hit it, but said nothing and was later quite relaxed.

Mr.Scott

Post by Mr.Scott »

I gave the guy at 7-11 the scare of his life a week or so ago. I went to get my wallet and my shirt rode up and his eyes got pretty damn big. I'm pretty sure he had to clean his shorts when I left.
DIVIDED WE STAND, UNITED WE FALL

JDKRIEK

Post by JDKRIEK »

It's a grey area, but you have to intentionally fail to conceal.
Concealed means concealed, and plain sight means plain sight. They are opposites, but "the definition of "plain sight" is not "not concealed" and vice versa, at least not legally. In other words, there's a spectrum of grey area that could either be "plain sight" or "concealed", or neither, depending on case specifics, the statute that applies, and the judge/jury.

I think the difference lies in two major thresholds; at what point a stored or carried handgun becomes noticeable to observation, and at what point there can be no question that the object is a handgun. If no-one sees it, it's concealed and not in plain sight, pure and simple. If someone sees it, it's no longer concealed (we won't get into printing; whether someone thinks it MAY be a gun or something else doesn't matter) but not yet in plain sight. Plain sight requires, once the object is noticed, that a reasonable person could not come to any other conclusion than it is a handgun.

This definition still poses grey area. Suppose you have a triangular gun case. Such a shape is virtually never used for anything else with the possible and rare exception of lunch. If there is a gun in that case, is it in plain sight if the case is left on the front seat? Another situation is when a gun is not in plain sight only because of the person's body position. A gun kept at 4:00, or under a person's leg, or in the door of the vehicle, is not in plain sight when the person is in the seat and the door is closed, but becomes so very quickly when a person steps out of the car, and depending on the circumstances there may be no way to move the gun without it becoming plainly visible. I think you may be safe on that second count; the law cannot compel the performance of an impossibility, so you cannot be required to move the gun under an officer's watchful eye while it remains out of plain sight. In addition, prosecuting an individual for breaking a law by unlawfully carrying, when the person only came into violation of the law in the first place by obeying the commands of an officer, sounds suspiciously like entrapment.
KIMBER SST UCII
NRA/HCA MEMBER

4/22/08 PACKET AT DPS
5/15/08 PIN, PACKET MAILED TO APPLICANT
5/22/08 EMAILED DPS
6/10/08 EMAILED REPRESENTATIVE
6/11/08 PROCESSING APPLICATION
7/03/08 APPLICATION COMPLETED - LICENSE ISSUED OR CERTIFICATE ACTIVE
7/10/08 PLASTIC IN HAND! 80 DAYS

flb_78

Post by flb_78 »

:???:

I read to dang fast for my own good sometimes.
Last edited by flb_78 on Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.AmarilloGunOwners.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

eric

Post by eric »

The wallet thing is a fairly common problem. What I do is think about what I need out of it and put in a front shirt pocket so there is no need to raise your shirt.

JadeFire

Post by JadeFire »

Actually, I've discovered that just moving the wallet to the opposite side of my rear end from my weapon works like a charm- no show and tell when I go to pay.

That being said, cargo pants have GOT to be proof that God loves CHL'ers and wants us to be happy.
"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons." (Gen. MacArthur)

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
This was the Ancient law of Youth
Old times are past, old times are done:
But the Law runs true, O little son!

Return to “Never Again!!”