My encounter tonight

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

HerbM
Posts in topic: 2

Re: My encounter tonight

Post by HerbM »

flintknapper wrote:
I live in the city -- never lived rural -- so I would NOT have known to honk the horn, ...
I think you'll find most folks who live in a rural setting to be more than willing to help in an emergency. ...
Thats pretty much the run down, just so you'll know (pass it on).

Also, leave "gates" as you found them: (if open...leave open, if closed...close it behind you).

* Honk when you arrive (just tap the horn).
* Remain in your vehicle and watch for dogs that may or may not show themselves.
* If you exit your vehicle...stay close to it and wait to be greeted/acknowledged.
* Be patient, I may be down at my shop or tending to animals, etc...
* If the nature of your business dictates that you come to the door, knock/ring the bell and then step back several feet. When greeted...introduce yourself and state your business immediately.
* If asked to leave (or return at a later time) do so immediately and be polite about it.
...I think you will find the average country dweller most accommodating after they have determined you are not a threat.

If all this sounds a bit paranoid/suspicious or cranky....I apologize. But, rural folks can not afford to be "wrong". :mrgreen:
Flint.
Not a bit paranoid -- most (good) people want to do things right and polite -- however, just like a traffic stop we aren't born knowing all the rules and conventions. Seems logically to "get your license ready" while waiting for the LEO to appoach your car, but all that wiggling and reaching around just makes him/her nervous because he can't see what you are doing or know what you are reaching.

Almost all of it is pretty close to what I would do anyway -- the horn thing is considered rude in the city which means it goes against our training. The above (or part of it) might make a "good sign" for the gate.

Especially about "leaving the gate as you found it" -- unless expected and I knew it was ok, I would be VERY reluctant to open any gate, but the rule is always: Leave EVERYTHING the way you found it -- common sense should be applied if something is obviously screwed up and can be rectified.

I always step back if I knock on a door.

The part about staying in the care or near it makes sense but maybe that is due to watching westerns where it was considered impolite to "step down" from a horse before being.
invited. (I do ride also, so this plays to leaving the gate as well.)

I expect people to be friendly and helpful -- but I definitely know it improves the odds if I don't frighten or startle them first.

And again, as to prudence (not paranoia), and not being able to afford mistakes in the country -- we cannot afford them in the city either, but just a smaller percentage of people seem to realize that fact.

Chances are my "door technique" would make you think that *I* am the one with that problem.
HerbM

eric
Posts in topic: 1

Post by eric »

I am not an expert on these situations but I also live on a rural farm and have had many situations with strangers honking horn or coming to the door at all hours, day or night asking strange questions. My advice is stay in the house and don't put yourself in the open. Sometimes I have when I just have to know what they want, but try not to.

Target1911

Post by Target1911 »

I have been met with a shotgun on a few occasions. Even when my arrival was expected. I drove a wrecker for 5 years and spent a LOT of time in the country (grew up there myself) day or night to pick up mechanicaly challenged modes of transportation......NOT to be confused with repos.....

Day time arrivals were not so bad but the FIRST thing I always looked for were the family pets. I have had them come out of hiding just to chase me back to my truck. However, when its dark and I am pulling into the drive, all the customer could see was my headlights. I got in the habit of turning the head lights off but leaving the running lights on.

I never panicked when met by a customer with a shotty in hand and it always became the topic of conversation.

......to the OP.....
Things I would have done different is...... open carry your pistol in a holster and/or carry a shotgun out with you. IMPO I cant see any reason for anyone looking for property at dark:30
DAD, You are missed
6-5-54 ~ 4-16-10
rwhedgeart.com
III% United Patriots of Texas

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flintknapper »

Target1911 wrote:I have been met with a shotgun on a few occasions. Even when my arrival was expected. I drove a wrecker for 5 years and spent a LOT of time in the country (grew up there myself) day or night to pick up mechanicaly challenged modes of transportation......NOT to be confused with repos.....

Day time arrivals were not so bad but the FIRST thing I always looked for were the family pets. I have had them come out of hiding just to chase me back to my truck. However, when its dark and I am pulling into the drive, all the customer could see was my headlights. I got in the habit of turning the head lights off but leaving the running lights on.

I never panicked when met by a customer with a shotty in hand and it always became the topic of conversation.

......to the OP.....
Things I would have done different is...... open carry your pistol in a holster and/or carry a shotgun out with you. IMPO I cant see any reason for anyone looking for property at dark:30

Good post!
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

LedJedi

Post by LedJedi »

I can honestly say i spent a good part of my early life living in about as country an area as could be imagined (Tenn. Colony) and while the occasional folks would pull up and honk in the drive most did not. We were ALWAYS alerted to their presence though by the dogs. I can't say I'd have honked when coming up myself, though i certainly see the logic in it.

That being said, I've learned that it's very much to your advantage when knocking on someone's door (especially if you dont know them) to knock and then step away so they can get a clear look at you. I generally make a note of keeping my hands out of my pockets doing that time as well and if it doesnt look like they could see that form the viewport i'll cross them on my chest and try to put a smile on my face.

I also tend to trust my instincts in situations like that. I'd certainly give ya an A+. bout the only thing I'd have done differently would be to put a shotgun in your hand on the way out the door.

Return to “Never Again!!”