"Accidental" shooting at Roanoke hotel pool

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Greybeard
Posts in topic: 1

"Accidental" shooting at Roanoke hotel pool

Post by Greybeard »

Sorry, if posted elsewhere, but I did not see.

News > Top Stories Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Family watched in shock after Roanoke shooting

ROANOKE -- Keli Atkins, a mother of three, was rooting for her 10-year-old daughter's softball team Friday and Saturday as it won games in a Southlake tournament.

But in the wee hours Sunday, Atkins, 32, of Sweetwater lay dying beside a motel swimming pool from a gunshot wound in the chest as a nurse tried to revive her through CPR. Family members watched in horror, according to the 911 recording released Monday.

Atkins' 24-year-old brother, Aric McGowan, had accidentally shot her, police say, and he was screaming while their sister Melissa cried. Brother-in-law Chester Eli Cunningham had quickly grabbed a phone and dialed 911.

Cunningham, a deputy sheriff, told the dispatcher that McGowan had picked up Cunningham's revolver and accidentally shot his own sister, according to the tape.

"It's fine, he didn't understand it was an off-duty weapon," Cunningham tells the dispatcher when she asks where the shooter was. "He's drunk," he added later.

McGowan was arrested Sunday on suspicion of manslaughter. He posted $25,000 bail and was released later that day. Police say they are trying to determine how the shooting occurred and to what degree alcohol was a factor.

The accident

The family was in town for a Southlake softball tournament. The three adult siblings and Cunningham were relaxing by the pool at a Best Western Inn and Suites about 1:30 a.m. when the shooting occurred.

Cunningham, 24, had left his revolver tucked inside his pants and placed them on a table before jumping into the water, officials said. McGowan picked up the revolver and somehow fired one shot into his sister's chest, records show.

On the 911 recording, McGowan can be heard in the background cursing and yelling, asking why a real gun was left by the pool.

Family ties

The slaying has rocked the small Denton County town of Roanoke, where police have worked numerous fatal accidents but very rarely a shooting. Police are trying to be particularly sensitive as they handle the case.

"This is an unfortunate incident that happened between family members in front of other family members," said Sgt. Chris Almonrode. "We are allowing people to grieve while conducting the investigation."

The other 10 members of the West Texas Heat softball team and their families had also been staying at the motel. The team withdrew from the tournament about 7 a.m. Sunday and went home, said tournament director Matt Tuggey. The team had been in the winners' bracket and expected to take one of the top three places, Tuggey said.

The kids

Atkins was taken by helicopter ambulance to John Peter Smith Hospital in Fort Worth, where she died about an hour later. Her death was ruled a homicide by the Tarrant County medical examiner, records show.

Atkins' children -- ages 3, 10 and 12 -- were asleep in an upstairs motel room when the shooting occurred. An aunt broke the news to to them in the morning, Almonrode said. Atkins' husband, who was not on the trip with his family, met with police Monday

"He knows what he needs to do to be a good father to those kids," Almonrode said. "From what we can gather, they have a strong family and support network."

Firearm safety

According to the National Safety Council, 649 Americans died as a result of an accidental firearm discharge in 2004, the most recent data available. Here are some safety suggestions.

Treat every firearm as if it were loaded.

Never pass a firearm to another person, or accept a firearm from another person, until the cylinder or action is open and you've personally checked that the weapon is completely unloaded.

Before handling any firearm, understand its operation.

Never rely on any mechanical device for safety.

Never joke around or engage in horseplay while handling or using firearms.

Be alert at all times; never shoot if you're tired, cold or impaired in any way. Don't mix alcohol or drugs with shooting.

SOURCE: Texans for Gun Safety

mvargas@star-telegram.com
MELISSA VARGAS, 817-685-3888
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

AEA

Re: "Accidental" shooting at Roanoke hotel pool

Post by AEA »

STUPID! :roll: :eek6
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

A tragedy, indeed. But not an accident. :banghead:
I am scared of empty guns and keep mine loaded at all times. The family knows the guns are loaded and treats them with respect. Loaded guns cause few accidents; empty guns kill people every year. -Elmer Keith. 1961

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

HighVelocity wrote:A tragedy, indeed. But not an accident. :banghead:
:iagree: The deputy should have never left his weapon unattended in a public location. Sounds like the brother, in his drunken stupor, thought it was a toy, picked it up, pointed it at his sister and pulled the trigger. :mad5:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

Greybeard wrote:Cunningham, 24, had left his revolver tucked inside his pants and placed them on a table before jumping into the water, officials said. McGowan picked up the revolver and somehow fired one shot into his sister's chest, records show.

On the 911 recording, McGowan can be heard in the background cursing and yelling, asking why a real gun was left by the pool.
So.... he's drunk, picks up a gun, shoots his sister, and it's somebody else's fault? :waiting:

I hope sobriety brings with it a sense of responsibility.

Penn

Post by Penn »

Well - it's kinda like the law were you can't leave a gun accessible to a minor. Most drunks have less sense than a teenager.

WarHawk-AVG

Post by WarHawk-AVG »

Keith B wrote:
HighVelocity wrote:A tragedy, indeed. But not an accident. :banghead:
:iagree: The deputy should have never left his weapon unattended in a public location. Sounds like the brother, in his drunken stupor, thought it was a toy, picked it up, pointed it at his sister and pulled the trigger. :mad5:
Penn wrote:Well - it's kinda like the law were you can't leave a gun accessible to a minor. Most drunks have less sense than a teenager.
Thats besides the point...it was a complete 100% ND

a. The LEO left his firearm unattended
b. Drunk guy rooting thru someone elses clothes, finds firearm, points it at someone, then pulls the trigger

Sorry..I hate to add insult to injury but I would give the guy manslaughter charges, I might even go so far as give the LEO a reprimand or something for leaving his firearm unsecure like that, unaccessible to a minor laws yes..the guy is a grown adult, intoxicated..you can't say its alcohols fault because the adult made a conscious decision to drink the alcohol..otherwise with your logic drunk drivers are NOT culpable for drinking and driving and killing a family, the alcohol is

Alcohol and firearms DO NOT MIX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A sheepdog says "I will lead the way. I will set the highest standards. ...Your mission is to man the ramparts in this dark and desperate hour with honor and courage." - Lt. Col. Grossman
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’ - Edmond Burke

dukalmighty

Post by dukalmighty »

how you figure it was a ND he pointed the gun and pulled the trigger that's about as intentional as it gets,then wants to know why somebody left a real gun by the pool.I would not of left my gun unattended in the first place,but on the other hand I don't rummage through anybody elses pants.really poor decisions all the way around that caused a death
It is said that if you line up all the cars in the world end-to-end, someone would be stupid enough to try to pass them

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ »

I would like to point out that the article put some nice "gun safety" points at the end of the article, which sounded pretty solid.
didn't see a single "If a gun is seen in the home, run screaming away, because it could magically bite you!!!"
so, kudos to the writer. and he quoted the NSC, not the Brady campaign, to boot!
FWIW, IIRC, AFAIK, FTMP, IANAL. YMMV.

Return to “Never Again!!”