So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
KD5NRH
Posts in topic: 6

Finger off the trigger...

Post by KD5NRH »

She should know better than to get in a hurry to tell me these things :mrgreen:

So, I got a call about an hour ago from my wife. It seems she woke up this morning to find a coyote in the yard, :shock: and decided to do something about it. :fire She grabbed the Super Comanche .45LC/.410 loaded with .410 birdshot, (I don't know why she picked that, with three shotguns and two rifles in easy reach - it almost certainly wouldn't have been a quick kill, and anything but clean) cocked it, and promptly shot a hole in the exterior wall. :totap:

After making sure that her hand was just bruised, I had her describe the hole. It sounded a bit too small, but I never leave .45LC in that gun. I have, on rare occasion, been wrong in the past, so just in case, I told her to check the gun and see what the empty hull was...live #4 birdshot load. Hmmm...what about the other single action sitting right there; my .357 Blackhawk loaded with my nice hot 158gr XTP over a Rugers-and-carbines-only load of 2400. Empty hull under the hammer. Yep, that was her intro to magnum handguns...indoors...a couple minutes after waking up.

Guess I'll be patching the wall when I get home. Maybe now she'll listen when I tell her that one "dry run" doesn't constitute learning to use a different type of gun. Times like this, I'm really glad the neighbors on that side are over 300yds away.

I'd have patched the wall and kept my mouth shut :leaving

Rokyudai
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Finger off the trigger...

Post by Rokyudai »

Glad everyone is ok. Quite a way to learn a lesson but it could have been worse. After a 'breather period' you will likely want to both talk about it.

Stay safe! :txflag:

Rok
NRA Benefactor Member

Topic author
KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

Rokyudai wrote:Glad everyone is ok. Quite a way to learn a lesson but it could have been worse. After a 'breather period' you will likely want to both talk about it.
Talk, maybe. Practice with dummy rounds, then blanks, then live ammo, definitely.

She'll have the powder burns to remind her for a few days, and I can't imagine her arm not being sore tomorrow from the recoil, so maybe she'll be more willing to practice now.

bpet

Post by bpet »

Well, I'm thinking that had she hit it, the coyote would have had a much faster and humane demise!
"Limit politicians to two terms. One in office and one in jail!" (Borrowed from an anonymous donor)

Topic author
KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

bpet wrote:Well, I'm thinking that had she hit it, the coyote would have had a much faster and humane demise!
And if she'd even gotten close, it would have been blind:

DoubleJ
Posts in topic: 2

Post by DoubleJ »

you could start a flame-war with that thing...
FWIW, IIRC, AFAIK, FTMP, IANAL. YMMV.

WarHawk-AVG

Post by WarHawk-AVG »

DoubleJ wrote:Image
you could start a flame-war with that thing...
WHOAH!!!!!!!!
A sheepdog says "I will lead the way. I will set the highest standards. ...Your mission is to man the ramparts in this dark and desperate hour with honor and courage." - Lt. Col. Grossman
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’ - Edmond Burke

dukalmighty

Post by dukalmighty »

If ya don't hit em ,you can identify them in a lineup, they will have the smoking hair :shock:
It is said that if you line up all the cars in the world end-to-end, someone would be stupid enough to try to pass them

Topic author
KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

KD5NRH wrote:
Rokyudai wrote:Glad everyone is ok. Quite a way to learn a lesson but it could have been worse. After a 'breather period' you will likely want to both talk about it.
Talk, maybe. Practice with dummy rounds, then blanks, then live ammo, definitely.
Well, I guess not...at least for a while; I knew she'd find some way to get out of this, but I didn't expect her to turn up pregnant quite this soon. :shock:

HerbM

Post by HerbM »

Glad everyone is (still ) healthy.

The subject line topic title says it all for practically ANY firearm.
HerbM

quidni

Post by quidni »

KD5NRH wrote:Well, I guess not...at least for a while; I knew she'd find some way to get out of this, but I didn't expect her to turn up pregnant quite this soon. :shock:
LOL congratulations to both of you! So when is the new li'l shooter due?
TSRA / NRA
KA5RLA
All guns have at least two safeties. One's digital, one's cognitive. In other words - keep the digit off the trigger until ready to fire, and THINK. Some guns also have mechanical safeties on top of those. But if the first two don't work, the mechanical ones aren't guaranteed. - me

dukalmighty

Post by dukalmighty »

KD5NRH wrote:
KD5NRH wrote:
Well, I guess not...at least for a while; I knew she'd find some way to get out of this, but I didn't expect her to turn up pregnant quite this soon. :shock:
Are you saying she got pregnant from an AD :shock:I'm keeping my wife away from firearms
It is said that if you line up all the cars in the world end-to-end, someone would be stupid enough to try to pass them

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

Well....at least she didn't hit any electrical or plumbing.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

Topic author
KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

quidni wrote:
KD5NRH wrote:Well, I guess not...at least for a while; I knew she'd find some way to get out of this, but I didn't expect her to turn up pregnant quite this soon. :shock:
LOL congratulations to both of you! So when is the new li'l shooter due?
Sometime in February is the best guess so far. She's going to the OB/GYN Wednesday to confirm and try to narrow down the conception date and due date.

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ »

my aunt and uncle are due in Feb too! Congrats. You gon' name him JMB?
FWIW, IIRC, AFAIK, FTMP, IANAL. YMMV.

Return to “Never Again!!”