Close call with bangers this AM. (Wreck)

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Close call with bangers this AM. (Wreck)

Post by flintknapper »

stroo wrote:Get a cane and learn how to use it. If you pulled on knife on any of those guys, they would have sliced you up. A cane can be used to keep a little separation. And no one is going to accuse you of having a weapon. Canemasters has some good videos.

Yup, cane makes an excellent weapon. I've been preaching that for years.

I can arrange a 1-2 day Seminar if a group is interested.

Canemaster's does have some decent videos...but I prefer the techniques used in Hapkido or Shen Chuan.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

Pinkycatcher
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Pinkycatcher »

Or better yet, get a cane with a sword in it! :smilelol5:

fm2
Posts in topic: 2

Post by fm2 »

KC5AV wrote:I doubt a taser would do much good in a 4 on 1 fight.
I am refering to the TASER C2 ( http://www.defensedevices.com/taser-c2.html ).
“It is the belief that violence is an aberration that is dangerous because it lulls us into forgetting how easily violence may erupt in quiescent places.” S. Pinker

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

Pinkycatcher wrote:Or better yet, get a cane with a sword in it! :smilelol5:

Not legal unfortunately. ;-)
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

fm2 wrote:
How would it be effective against more than one opponent? While you zap one, the other three would jump on you. It's obviously better than nothing, but I wouldn't want it to be the only option I had facing four punks.
NRA lifetime member

Topic author
kyreb
Posts in topic: 5

Post by kyreb »

Phaser maybe but not a taser. Just where is Captain Kirk and Spock when you need them?

IMHO 4:1 odds call for JM Browning designed accessories, not electronics or spray. :mrgreen:

Anyway, their insurance told me today they are covering all repairs at the shop of my choice, they will cover my medical bills, pay for a rental while my truck is in the shop and pay for interior detailing since my extra large cup of jave went flying on impact.

Doc said today my injuries seem limited to muscle strains. Gave me some meds and told me I'd be feeling worse tomorrow then start getting better.

Finally sent an email detailing the whole incident to a couple of my contacts in our corporate security department. One of whom is ex-Delta, the other is ex-LEO and both seem to be not in agreement with the policy and are big proponents of CHL.
My hopes are it may help dissuade reps from my company from continueing to lobby agains parking lot exemptions for CHL holders. However, being a realist, I know HR and Legal weenies run the corporate world.
NRA Endowment Member
Unrepentant Hobbyist

iratollah

Post by iratollah »

Pinkycatcher wrote:Or better yet, get a cane with a sword in it! :smilelol5:
Like this one? I wish I could carry it, as this Burger from S. Africa is a beautiful piece of craftsmanship.

I have carried a cane on and off over the years. Before the Alley Theatre had their own parking garage, the downtown panhandlers were becoming increasingly aggressive in the surface parking lots. Once I started carrying my walking stick it became like Moses parting the Red Sea as the bums would give us wide berth once they saw the stick.

I'd love to learn a few more defensive moves with my walking stick than the couple that I know. The intimidation factor remains very high. I heard about a PD that put out plain clothes to try to catch some serial muggers in a major city. The one plain clothes who was never hassled was the one posing as the old man with a cane.
it's socially unacceptable to be ahead of your time.
L'Olam Lo - Never Again

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 4

Post by anygunanywhere »

austin wrote:Carry a folding knife.
A wise man once told me that you shouldn't bring anything to a fight you don't want to carry around like a rudder. I don't know how many times we have been urged to seek more firearms training because the CHL qualification is not enough.

Now we are told to pull a Spiderco against four hoods when all the training most of us have is slicing the Sunday roast or spreading PB&J?

Funny stuff.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

barres

Post by barres »

anygunanywhere wrote:
A wise man once told me that you shouldn't bring anything to a fight you don't want to carry around like a rudder. I don't know how many times we have been urged to seek more firearms training because the CHL qualification is not enough.

Now we are told to pull a Spiderco against four hoods when all the training most of us have is slicing the Sunday roast or spreading PB&J?

Funny stuff.

Anygunanywhere
:iagree:
Remember, in a life-or-death situation, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Barre

Topic author
kyreb
Posts in topic: 5

Post by kyreb »

I sent a lightly edited copy of my original post to our corporate security department yesterday. I also included this short paragraph at the end:

"While I want you to know I abide by our company policies, I hope TX manages to get that law passed that protects CHL holders storing guns in vehicles on company property. My feelings are those of us who go through the extensive CHL training on safety and legal aspects, not to mention complete FBI background check pose no threats. Yet we would have the ability to protect ourselves in these situations. Unfortunately, these situations seem to be occuring with greater frequency in Houston. "

I was interviewed this morning. These guys are Ex-LEO and one Ex-Delta, very pro gun and pro CHL. Turns out they have been urging Legal to exempt CHL's from the policy with little to no success. They are developing a database of close calls employees experience to build their case. They loved the last paragraph I added.

I would hope this may provide the wife ammo should I get killed or injured by hoodlums while traveling to and from work unarmed.
NRA Endowment Member
Unrepentant Hobbyist

HerbM
Posts in topic: 6

Post by HerbM »

anygunanywhere wrote:

Funny stuff.

Anygunanywhere
The original gentleman is contractually and legally forbidden to carry a firearm during various work hours or while driving on company business. He might also lose his job if he chose to violate these rules due were he to value his safety more.

What would you do if you (agreed that you) could not carry a firearm?

Knives and pepper spray may be relatively weak substitutes but they are pretty much the best he has available under these rules.

One of the reason I recommend and carry knives and pepper spray -- for those time when I cannot carry more legally, or for those who cannot or will not carry a firearm.
HerbM

bdickens

Post by bdickens »

I of course would never suggest that someone violate the law. But given some thought, I'm sure the OP could concoct a creative solution to his dilemma.
Byron Dickens

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 4

Post by anygunanywhere »

HerbM wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:

Funny stuff.

Anygunanywhere
The original gentleman is contractually and legally forbidden to carry a firearm during various work hours or while driving on company business. He might also lose his job if he chose to violate these rules due were he to value his safety more.

What would you do if you (agreed that you) could not carry a firearm?

Knives and pepper spray may be relatively weak substitutes but they are pretty much the best he has available under these rules.

One of the reason I recommend and carry knives and pepper spray -- for those time when I cannot carry more legally, or for those who cannot or will not carry a firearm.
I carry a really sharp knife all of the time.

If it was me, one agaisnt four, I doubt I would pull a knife that the four could take away from me and carve my carcass.

I stand by my post.

I would not have exited my vehicle if I saw four bangers exit a vehicle that just rear-ended me. I drive a Ford F250 Superduty diesel. Loaded down with my tools etc it goes almost 7000 lbs.

I use my truck as a weapon. I doubt a rice burning banger mobile and four bangers would handle the truck.

Herb, I have thought about these scenarios and in this one pulling a knife was not the answer. If it was for you great. Go for it. IMHO the knife suggestion was not the right one.

Anygunanywhere but probably not a knife.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

fm2 wrote:
The XREP would be a lot better.

yerasimos

Post by yerasimos »

kyreb wrote:IMHO 4:1 odds call for JM Browning designed accessories, not electronics or spray. :mrgreen:

Anyway, their insurance told me today they are covering all repairs at the shop of my choice, they will cover my medical bills, pay for a rental while my truck is in the shop and pay for interior detailing since my extra large cup of jave went flying on impact.

Doc said today my injuries seem limited to muscle strains. Gave me some meds and told me I'd be feeling worse tomorrow then start getting better.

Finally sent an email detailing the whole incident to a couple of my contacts in our corporate security department. One of whom is ex-Delta, the other is ex-LEO and both seem to be not in agreement with the policy and are big proponents of CHL.
My hopes are it may help dissuade reps from my company from continueing to lobby agains parking lot exemptions for CHL holders. However, being a realist, I know HR and Legal weenies run the corporate world.
I am glad that you were not attacked and that the medical and financial fallout will be minimal. This incident is another example of the value of driving crash-worthy cars and trucks.

I will agree with you (and virtually everyone else here) that 4:1 odds are best handled the JMB way using skills honed in competition such as IDPA. Until your employer's policies are changed, packing a Taser AND the pepper spray seems like the best you can do while staying within the letter of those policies. Both can be worthwhile to have even with a JMB option in your holster.

Return to “Never Again!!”