Standoff, shooting in League City

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
seamusTX
Posts in topic: 5

Standoff, shooting in League City

Post by seamusTX »

On Monday, June 30, relatives of a 63-year-old man who lived in an apartment at 1455 Louisiana Ave. in League City contacted building management because "he had been acting strangely." The manager called police before attempting to enter the apartment. When police arrived, the man started shooting inside the apartment. He then began smashing furniture and other items and throwing them out the window. After a two-hour standoff, a police marksman shot the man once, with fatal results.

http://www.galvnews.com/story.lasso?ewc ... 2b5861b7f6

Money quote:
“Nothing ever happens around here,� [a resident] said. “It’s real quiet and peaceful. Everybody goes to work, comes home and goes to sleep.�
- Jim
Last edited by seamusTX on Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Standoff, shooting in League City

Post by anygunanywhere »

I am glad no one else was injured in this situation.

I hope the officer endures no long term mental issues resulting from his doing his duty.

League City is blessed with a very fine, professional police department.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Pinkycatcher
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Pinkycatcher »

anygunanywhere wrote:I am glad no one else was injured in this situation.

I hope the officer endures no long term mental issues resulting from his doing his duty.

Anygunanywhere
That really has to be one of the hardest mental jobs, to be a marksman, because you definitely see the suspect, and you're not in immediate danger because they are fairly far away.

Rokyudai

Post by Rokyudai »

Tragic for all parties involved. Thankfully no one else was killed in the building.
NRA Benefactor Member

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Rokyudai wrote:Tragic for all parties involved. Thankfully no one else was killed in the building.
:iagree: I have never read an article where apartment residents were asked how much rent they were paying. Maybe the reporter wanted the newspaper readers to know that incidents like this can happen in "good neighborhoods"?
NRA Endowment Member

mrvmax
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mrvmax »

Anygunanywhere
Off topic, but I would disagree with LC having a fine PD. I only saw two of their officers, but they were less than honest. I was on a jury in Galveston County where they were trying to charge some lady with assault to the officers (in reality she was cuffed and pulled away from them while they walked her down the hall at the PD and the officers said this was assault). A long story short, the two officers stories did not match up and we let her off. The DA asked us (the jury) why we let her off. When we explained he told us that the officers were just trying to "teach her a lesson" (his words, I couldn't believe he was admitting this to us). Apparently her son was a trouble maker and she was too so the LC PD decided to trump up some charges and waste taxpayer dollars trying to get back at her. I was furious when the DA told us this. That is my impression of the LC PD. A small minority gives the whole PD a bad name.

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

WildBill wrote:I have never read an article where apartment residents were asked how much rent they were paying. Maybe the reporter wanted the newspaper readers to know that incidents like this can happen in "good neighborhoods"?
That was my impression.

- Jim

HerbM

Post by HerbM »

Pinkycatcher wrote:

Anygunanywhere
That really has to be one of the hardest mental jobs, to be a marksman, because you definitely see the suspect, and you're not in immediate danger because they are fairly far away.
It would certainly be hard or impossible for many or most people, see On Killing: The Psychological Cost of Learning to Kill in War and Society by Dave Grossman (this is not a ptsd heavy, liberal/pc, nor bleeding heart screed -- neither does it glorify the subject -- it focuses on what is known scientifically, historically, and from the experiences of training troops for war or other deadly situations.)
http://www.amazon.com/Killing-Psycholog ... 027&sr=8-1

I strongly recommend reading this book for anyone who carries a firearm and who claims they will use it to shoot a criminal attacker -- or who is concerned they might fail to do so (when necessary) either.

Snipers are self-selecting, as the training and evaluation for military and police snipers selects and trains, for being able to rationalize the necessity of the act. This does not necessarily mean that snipers 'don't care', but the ones who care 'too much' generally quit when if they cannot do this. Being an ethical sniper doesn't need to be any harder than stopping a criminal who is about to kill one of your loved ones. The criminal made the decision, the sniper is merely the tool.

Everyone who is (fairly) accurate with a firearm, even on paper, is a marksman. A sniper is trained to shoot at specific (human) targets, usually from distance and/or from concealment.
Last edited by HerbM on Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HerbM

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

The word sniper does in fact mean what you said, but it has acquired an unfortunate negative connotation. I tend to avoid it.

- Jim

HerbM

Post by HerbM »

seamusTX wrote:The word sniper does in fact mean what you said, but it has acquired an unfortunate negative connotation. I tend to avoid it.

- Jim
The word sniper has virtually always had a good and bad connotation, good if he (or she) is own your side of the battle, the epitome of evil if the sniper is an enemy who kills your buddies.

There really is no other word that captures the essence and the correct nuances of the job, for the military or the police.

Everybody who joins he army gets a "marksmanship" badge (or better, sharpshooter, and expert) -- very few even train as snipers, nor ever meet one.
HerbM

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Follow-up, but little real information: http://www.galvnews.com/story.lasso?ewc ... f5e61e4772

The sniper was put on two weeks' paid leave. The case will be presented to the grand jury without charges. Both are S.O.P.

- Jim

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

mrvmax wrote:

Anygunanywhere
Off topic, but I would disagree with LC having a fine PD. I only saw two of their officers, but they were less than honest. I was on a jury in Galveston County where they were trying to charge some lady with assault to the officers (in reality she was cuffed and pulled away from them while they walked her down the hall at the PD and the officers said this was assault). A long story short, the two officers stories did not match up and we let her off. The DA asked us (the jury) why we let her off. When we explained he told us that the officers were just trying to "teach her a lesson" (his words, I couldn't believe he was admitting this to us). Apparently her son was a trouble maker and she was too so the LC PD decided to trump up some charges and waste taxpayer dollars trying to get back at her. I was furious when the DA told us this. That is my impression of the LC PD. A small minority gives the whole PD a bad name.
I have heard the same about Friendswood PD.

Every interaction I have had with LCPD has been pleasant and extremely professional, even when I was the object of the call.

Maybe the troublemakers ought to stay out of League City.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

anygunanywhere wrote:
mrvmax wrote:

Anygunanywhere
I have heard the same about Friendswood PD.

Every interaction I have had with LCPD has been pleasant and extremely professional, even when I was the object of the call.

Maybe the troublemakers ought to stay out of League City.

Anygunanywhere
I would prefer that the Police were honest, why try and trump up charges and then waste taxpayer money? If the PD cannot follow the law then they need another profession. I hope that this being only 2 officers that the rest are not the same but it made me wonder. Especially since the DA had no problem with it.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

mrvmax wrote: I would prefer that the Police were honest
So would I.

Anygunanywhere

agbullet2k1

Post by agbullet2k1 »

I showed my wife this story yesterday morning. This morning I saw her taser hooked to the charger, her pepper spray in her purse, and once she left, I checked under the matress, and the Glock was gone for the first time since I gave it to her. Seems like it struck a nerve with her. This was less than a half mile from our place.
Walther P99AS 9mm
Beretta PX4sc 9mm
Walther P99 .40 S&W
FrankenAR-15
Type II Phaser

Return to “Never Again!!”