what would you do?

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 1

Re: what would you do?

Post by Excaliber »

Here are a few techniques that have worked well for me over the years:

1. Walk toward the street edge of the sidewalk. Many hustlers and thieves hang in doorways and along the building line. Staying several feet farther out requires more committed action on their part to intercept you.

2. Walk with a relaxed but erect posture and scan 240 degrees by moving your eyes and using small head movements. Check 6 occasionally using window reflections or casual glances over the shoulder. This maintains situational awareness and takes you out of the potential victim pool for many petty criminals who are looking for a low awareness victim.

3. Walk a bit faster than most of the pedestrian traffic. It makes you look purposeful and harder to stop.

4. If you see a panhandler sizing you up, make eye contact and give a small "no" shake of the head. Many won't push it because they already have their answer.

5. Watch for people looking directly at you, particularly if they move as you approach. When you see this, something you need to pay attention to is happening and immediate action on your part is required to avoid a problem.

6. If followed, enter an open store or restaurant or cross the street - in the middle of the block if necessary. Most won't follow.

7. If approached by someone who appears potentially dangerous with no escape route available, move into the street. Most are looking to buttonhole you into an off view area, and this complicates their plan. It also places you in a position to be observed by police or concerned citizens from greater distances and more angles.

8. Walk on the side of the street that faces oncoming vehicle traffic. This makes it hard to slide up on you with a car from behind.

9. When approached by someone who wants to "shake your hand", do not allow him to touch you and gain gain physical control. A command like "Keep back - I don't know you" generally works when reinforced with hand signals.

10. I agree with fm2's point - do not ask a question, which invites further contact. A brief statement like the ones he suggested should end the exchange.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

bdickens
Posts in topic: 1

Re: what would you do?

Post by bdickens »

My all-purpose response is "sorry, I'm not interested" as I keep moving without even breaking stride. I don't even let them get the first word out.
Byron Dickens

Return to “Never Again!!”