Never again tell anyone that you carry.....

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Doug.38PR
Posts in topic: 1

Never again tell anyone that you carry.....

Post by Doug.38PR »

Never again tell ANYONE unless you know them well and they are a good friend that you carry a gun.

I made this mistake about 6 months back. I told someone that I worked with as he was asking why I wear a sport coat. I politely let him in on it. He instantly seemed uncomfortable. "Have you ever shot anybody?" he asked. Normally I would think such a question asked in humor but he was serious...and uneasy. "Oh no!" I told him.

Two months later, he told his partners via E mail about it saying "Did you know Doug wears a gun!" (which makes it sound threatening) And then came to me insisting that I not wear a gun saying that at least 3 people around the area had "seen me with a gun." (I'm quite sure it was rubbish to give himself support as I almost never carried in the area he was refering). I agreed not to and assured him that I was not looking for trouble.

Moral of the story, Be VERY selective of who you tell. If you tell the wrong person, whether you are legal or not, they can use it against you later.

G36Packer

Post by G36Packer »

10 - 4

HighVelocity
Posts in topic: 3

Post by HighVelocity »

Unless carrying is generally accepted in your workplace it's best to assume all coworkers are anti's and keep it to yourself.

nitrogen
Posts in topic: 7

Post by nitrogen »

+1.

One of my coworkers went banannas because I had an empty box of ammo on my desk with screws and pushpins and paperclips and the like in it.

He saw it and went completely nonlinear.

"OH MY [Nitrogen's] GOT BULLETS HE MUST HAVE GUNS OH MY GOD HE COULD SHOOT US ALL !!! $#@^%@#%#$%#@$%"

Unlucklly, the boss is also an Anti. I told him I had no bullets in the box, and I wasn't carrying a gun with me or anything. (I wasn't because the state of Texas hasn't given me my CHL yet. :banghead: )

Now fast forward to last week. Over the weekend, someone he had fired broke into the office and trashed it. The boss asks me, "Can you bring your gun in in case he comes back to start something?"
"Sorry, I can't legally. Don't have my CHL."

He grumbled about it.

My workplace does not have any firearms policy written in the policy manual. When I DO get my CHL, I'll probably carry, but absolutely don't let anyone know you carry, unless you'd pull the trigger (and go through the inevitable civil suit) to save their life. That's my rule, at least.

(EDIT: Fix some english)
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

dws1117
Posts in topic: 2

Post by dws1117 »

The boss asks me, "Can you bring your gun in in case he comes back to start something?"
Sounds like an excellent time to educate the man, help him get some training and purchase his first gun. I say first because as we all know you can't stop at just one.

dws1117
Posts in topic: 2

Post by dws1117 »

There are only a few people that know I carry or even have a CHL. Fortunately my company is full of gun people. Many of the company officers are gun people. Unfortunately we still have a no firearms policy.

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

"OH MY [Nitrogen's] GOT BULLETS HE MUST HAVE GUNS OH MY GOD HE COULD SHOOT US ALL !!! $#@^%@#%#$%#@$%"
They call you Nitrogen at work? Are you a pro wrestler or something? :lol:

mschadt

Post by mschadt »

The only people that know I carry are my friends that have CHLs them selves and a former housemate (his house so I had to get his OK before moving in).

My Grandmother and most of my family; aunts, uncles, and cousins are kept in the dark. I know half of them would be adamantly against the idea and the other half would be creeped out by it. I refer to family get togethers as the “(Fall, Winter, Spring, or Summer) Democratic National Bush Bashing.�

Crossfire

Re: Never again tell anyone that you carry.....

Post by Crossfire »

Doug.38PR wrote: He instantly seemed uncomfortable. "Have you ever shot anybody?" he asked. Normally I would think such a question asked in humor but he was serious...and uneasy. "Oh no!" I told him.
I always answer that question with "not anyone who didn't really need it" or, if it's a REALLY annoying person "not before today".

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

mschadt wrote:The only people that know I carry are my friends that have CHLs them selves and a former housemate (his house so I had to get his OK before moving in).

My Grandmother and most of my family; aunts, uncles, and cousins are kept in the dark. I know half of them would be adamantly against the idea and the other half would be creeped out by it. I refer to family get togethers as the “(Fall, Winter, Spring, or Summer) Democratic National Bush Bashing.�
I recently had to come out to my mother, and I wasn't sure how she was going to handle it. She came to stay with me for awhile after being hospitalized until she was ready to live by herself again (She is 71). I had to explain to her why I was going to be gone all day one Saturday, since I had a class to teach.

Her response was "you know how to shoot a gun?" Yeah Mom, I do. She thought about that for a few minutes then just said "OK, have fun."

We have not spoken of it since, but I think this means I'm out of the will now... Oh well, I guess my sister gets the trailer.

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

Oh well, I guess my sister gets the trailer.
:smilelol5:

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 5

Post by stevie_d_64 »

nitrogen wrote:Now fast forward to last week. Over the weekend, someone he had fired broke into the office and trashed it. The boss asks me, "Can you bring your gun in in case he comes back to start something?"
How awfully hypocritical and stupid to ask you to do that...Not that I am at all critical of you...
He grumbled about it.
And for him to grumble??? I hope if you're not at that company anymore, and you left on your own terms...Not just because of the "gun" thing, but just that it doesn't appear to be condusive to your personality and personal beliefs, which I figure you are way above the curve at that place...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

crankshaftkid

Post by crankshaftkid »

nitrogen wrote:+1.
Now fast forward to last week. Over the weekend, someone he had fired broke into the office and trashed it. The boss asks me, "Can you bring your gun in in case he comes back to start something?"

He grumbled about it.
Do you have to have a CHL to carry on private property if you are asked to carry on someone's property? I know you can carry on your own property and not even have it concealed and without having a CHL too.

nitrogen

Post by nitrogen »

crankshaftkid wrote:
nitrogen wrote:+1.

He grumbled about it.
Do you have to have a CHL to carry on private property if you are asked to carry on someone's property? I know you can carry on your own property and not even have it concealed and without having a CHL too.
My understanding is that if you have permission of whoever "controlls" the property, you're ok. For me it was more of an excuse to tell him to go to H-E-Double Hockey Sticks.
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
--anonymous

nitrogen

Post by nitrogen »

stevie_d_64 wrote:
And for him to grumble??? I hope if you're not at that company anymore, and you left on your own terms...Not just because of the "gun" thing, but just that it doesn't appear to be condusive to your personality and personal beliefs, which I figure you are way above the curve at that place...
I still work there. I'm slowly working on the boss. I'm taking him and his daughter shooting this week, actually. I think there's a gun owner in him just waiting to come out, once he learns that if he touches one, he won't automatically become an evil mass murderer, and the gun won't blow up in his hands or anything.

EDIT: Since I grew up an Anti, from an anti family, I have a lot of experience with them. I've found most Anti's arent staunchly anti-gun, they are just ignorant, and a little afraid of guns. Once they get some exposure, 95% of the time their attitudes do a 180. I know mine did about 10 years ago, when I first was exposed to a real, live, gun and shot it for the first time. :cool:
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
--anonymous

Return to “Never Again!!”