Have you ever been threatened?

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Enron Exec
Posts in topic: 11

Have you ever been threatened?

Post by Enron Exec »

A relatively new friend, lets call him 1st friend, of mine somehow got mad over what another friend and myself posted on a local forum and then threatened to kill me and two other friends over an instant messenger Tuesday night. This came as a complete shock to me because he didnt seem to be that type. I tried to calm him down and find out why he was so mad, even though he was somewhat belligerent over the course of the approximately 30 min chat. Well i thought he probably calmed down a little and we ended the discussion. And during this whole time, i was relaying the chat to a 2nd friend. He could hardly believe it and wanted to assume the first friend was just joking. So i just brushed it off and went to bed.

Then again, a 3rd friend, unknowingly to the threat that took place Tuesday night, posted another comment on the local forum, and then again friend 1, instant messaged me Wednesday night and continued to be belligerent. This is where it becomes complicated. At that time, i decided to tell friend 3 about the threats i have been receiving. The target of these threats is myself, friends 2 and 3. He couldnt believe it either so i forwarded the Tuesday night chat log for him to read, but he only skimmed it and completely missed the threats. He then thought this was all a big joke and then messaged the first friend and 2nd friend to turn this joke against me. The first friend even left a voice recording in the message box of friend 3 saying he is going to cut his neck as part of this joke. Well this went on for over 30 mins and the first friend said "it was all a joke." So now im really irritated and confused. I started asking them when this joke started. Was it Tuesday or Wednesday? Friends 2 and 3 told me just now, Wednesday. I felt that the joke was in very poor taste. Pretty messed up stuff. I told all 3 of them i was irritated and very disappointed in such a terrible joke. A joke that costed my trust. Friends 2 and 3 felt sorry and tried to apologize. Then i thought about what happened and i suspected that friend 3 had not read the whole chat log and understood the severity of the situation. I asked him if he read the whole thing and he confessed he didnt. I told him to reread the entire chat log and thats when he was shocked. He said that what friend 1 said was messed up and he sincerely apologized to me for the terrible joke. We informed friend 2 of our new position on the matter and he apologized and admitted he only followed along with the joke because friend 3 told him to.

So here is my assumption. Friend 1 lost his temper Tuesday and said things that he regrets, but im a careful person and dont take real threats lightly. He then saw the opportunity Wednesday night to turn his mistake around so that the entire thing looked like it was only a joke. Now that all parties know the truth, friends 2 and 3 are cautious of friend 1 and are distancing ourselves from him.

Sorry for the long winded post but i really would like all your opinions on this. What should we do? Report our friend 1 to the authorities? Should we continue to distance ourselves and break off the friendship with friend 1? I for one can never trust him again. All of us have firearms and have even went hunting together. I just cannot put that kind of trust together for friend 1 any more.

Questions? Suggestions? If requested, i'll copy paste the chat log from Tuesday night between me and friend 1 so you can all decide.
Last edited by Enron Exec on Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

M9FAN
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Have you ever been threatened?

Post by M9FAN »

:headscratch

Who's on first?
"Upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all." - Alexander the Great

KaiserB
Banned

Post by KaiserB »

Enron Exec wrote:A relatively new friend, lets call him 1st friend, of mine somehow got mad over what another friend and myself posted on a local forum and then threatened to kill me and two other friends over an instant messenger ...Questions? Suggestions? If requested, i'll copy paste the chat log from Tuesday night between me and friend 1 so you can all decide.
1. Find a new friend.
2. Posting someone else's comments will just exacerbate the situation.

Xander
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Xander »

KaiserB wrote:
Enron Exec wrote:A relatively new friend, lets call him 1st friend, of mine somehow got mad over what another friend and myself posted on a local forum and then threatened to kill me and two other friends over an instant messenger ...Questions? Suggestions? If requested, i'll copy paste the chat log from Tuesday night between me and friend 1 so you can all decide.
1. Find a new friend.
:iagree:

Topic author
Enron Exec

Post by Enron Exec »

KaiserB wrote:
1. Find a new friend.
Its not just comments or a chat log. Its the threat he made to me and my friends. Those where not idle threats. Any reasonable man would take them seriously, but since this is a first for me I would like to hear other's opinions on the matter. I want to know if this threat warrants more attention or even contacting the authorities.

bdickens

Post by bdickens »

Drop them all like a bad habit.
Byron Dickens

drw

Post by drw »

:iagree: You need to run, not walk, away from your relationship with these "friends".

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Iggy Pop wrote:One of the moderators has threatened to ban me because I don't trust the police. Does that count?
It looks to me like you're deliberately trying to get banned. Have you ever taken Discretion 101?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

Iggy Pop wrote:One of the moderators has threatened to ban me because I don't trust the police. Does that count?
I am sure that the "warning" was issued because some of your posts seem to be in violation of a forum rule, and NOT because you do not trust LEO.

It is your privilege to mistrust anyone you like, but it is NOT your privilege to express that here (in a broad and general form). If you search, you will find more than a "few" threads regarding the actions of some LEO, but they are specific accounts... and the discussion around them is for the most part directed at that person.

So....come on, if you have a particular story you would like to relate, if it fits into one the many forum categories provided, and you can keep it civil....then no one here is going to have a problem with that or censor you.

Whatcha got?
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

WarHawk-AVG

Post by WarHawk-AVG »

How old are you!

Internet tough guy syndrome or something!

:roll:
A sheepdog says "I will lead the way. I will set the highest standards. ...Your mission is to man the ramparts in this dark and desperate hour with honor and courage." - Lt. Col. Grossman
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’ - Edmond Burke

hankintexas

Post by hankintexas »

Sounds like a grade school fight. Be the bigger man and quit feeding the fire. You can always find enemies why try to drag others into it? Evreyone has been threatened at one time or another.
Heck, I'll be you friend and I don't even need to see the posts that started the problem.
Hank Henry
NRA Instructor / NRA LIFE MEMBER / NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Topic author
Enron Exec

Post by Enron Exec »

WarHawk-AVG wrote:How old are you!

Internet tough guy syndrome or something!

:roll:

Who's being a tough guy?

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ »

the guy threatening you.
FWIW, IIRC, AFAIK, FTMP, IANAL. YMMV.

Topic author
Enron Exec

Post by Enron Exec »

hankintexas wrote:Sounds like a grade school fight. Be the bigger man and quit feeding the fire. You can always find enemies why try to drag others into it? Evreyone has been threatened at one time or another.
Heck, I'll be you friend and I don't even need to see the posts that started the problem.
I better just go ahead and tell you guys what lead to all this.

During a hunting accident, friend 1 wrecked an expensive 4 seater ATV belonging to his grandfather by hitting the concrete guard rail on a 1 lane bridge. No one was badly hurt. Friend 1 was traumatized and wept a little. He made us all promise not to mention this accident outside of our circle and we agreed.

About 9 days later, Tuesday, friend 2 posted a response on a forum on a thread where a Camry had driven itself onto the guard rail of a bridge nearly turning it over on its top. Friend 2 posted something along the lines of "reminds me of what friend 1 did." I posted in response "rofl." In all honesty, i dont think we broke the promise, but friend 1 must of been adamant or bitter on the topic, more so then the rest of were aware. So later that night, friend 1 IM me and began the threats. He said "I am going to kill you, friend 2, and friend 3." .... "You better keep you gun on you..." Now, friend or not, most of you guys would prob just told him to shut up but i chose to diffuse and salvage what was left. Later he explained to me he was afraid everyone on the forum would laugh at him if they had found out he wrecked the ATV. I just dont see how someone could be so worried or have so much pride that they would flip out on their friends and threaten them.

Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

My .02, great idea Crossfire.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson USMC 1967-1970 101st. Underwater Mess Kit Repair Battalion - Spoon Platoon.

Return to “Never Again!!”