Militec-1 synthetic gun oil, handle with care

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
HighVelocity
Posts in topic: 1

Militec-1 synthetic gun oil, handle with care

Post by HighVelocity »

I did something stupid and hopefully telling everyone here about it will save somebody from repeating my mistake.

About 2 weeks ago, I purchased large container of Militec-1 gun oil. I've been hearing great things about it and wanted to give it a try. First, let me say that a little bit goes a LONG way. Do not over use this stuff as it does not dry, and is very hard to remove from your skin.

Somehow I managed to get some of this oil on my lips. How the heck did this happen? After spending some time at the range yesterday I was at the table cleaning and inspecting the pistols I had used.
During this cleaning and inspecting, I was eating an airline/type bag of smoked almonds. I was NOT touching the almonds with my fingers, rather I was pouring them into my mouth from the bag.
At some point I must have touched the open end of the bag when there was Militec-1 oil on my fingers.
About 1/2 hour later, my lips started to tingle and burn, not painfully but the feeling was there.
At first, I could not figure out what was causing this but after considerable scrubbing with soap and hot water, it dawned on me what happened. I tried Palmolive, lava, and fast orange hand cleaner and it did not help.
Now, 24 hours later, the tingling feeling is STARTING to go away. :oops:

On the positive side, Militec-1 seems to work pretty darn good on 1911 rails. I fired 200 rounds of mixed ammo through my old Kimber and it still felt slick and smooth. When disassembled, all the grime wiped right off with a dry rag. Nothing stuck to the gun. It was one of the easiest clean-ups in a long time.

Please, if you use this product, be very careful with how you handle it because if you're sensitive to chemicals it's a bear to get this oil off of you.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Thanks for the warning!

Chas.

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Double thanks here. That is a problem from my Mother & I got it.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

John

Post by John »

I think at this point, you'll need to follow the recommended application instructions and bake your lips at 200F in the oven to insure good permanent lubrication. :lol:

I use it a lot, and while i haven't purchased the large bottle, i do know of a link where you can order the large bottle at a discounted rate if anyone is interested. By the way, it does dry off of the metal over time, but still lubricates after it is dry (from what i've seen).

John
JohnC

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

TEMPORARY thread hi-jack;

Was this at an outdoor or indoor range?

PLEASE resume regualr programming.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

Jim101

Post by Jim101 »

Soooo, should I keep it off the lips of my mag. as well??? :lol:

Jim
NRA, TSRA

yerasimos

Post by yerasimos »

1. I *never* carry a gun that I fired at the range without cleaning/inspecting/lubricating it first. My 1st NRA instructor told me to never carry a dirty gun, and since then I have always followed that advice.
2. I always use rubber gloves and safety glasses whenever cleaning guns and/or handling gun cleaning chemicals. When cleaning heavily-leaded barrels, I use a dust mask.
3. I never eat or drink anything while shooting or cleaning guns. I will use a washroom and wash hands and face with soap and cold water before eating or drinking anything during a break.

Sidebar: I've gotten nauseous and lightheaded from Hoppe's #9 when cleaning guns indoors, so now I only clean them outdoors. Now I have to worry about wind gusts pushing over open containers of cleaning fluid and blowing away my cleaning patches.

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flintknapper »

I brush my teeth with Militec-1 and then gargle with Hoppe's #9!

But....I also ate a lot of paint chips when I was a kid. :shock:

NOT!

Thanks for the warning.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

lrb111

Post by lrb111 »

When i was a kid i just knew that if some enterprising cologne manufacturer would make a cologne that smelled like #9, I would wear it.

Even spent time trying to figure out what the song "Love Potion #9" had to do with Hoppe's.

Didn't get to town much as a kid. :lol:
Ø resist

Take away the second first, and the first is gone in a second.

NRA Life Member, TSRA, chl instructor

barres

Post by barres »

Since my six year-old son has become enamored with everything guns, I have a difficult time cleaning my guns after a trip to the range. Every time i need to get into the jar of Hoppe's, my son is bent over it sniffing it telling me that he loves the smell of the stuff. This doesn't bother me, but my wife hates the smell of Hoppe's, so she's mortified every time he says this.

No4Mk1

Post by No4Mk1 »

flintknapper wrote:But....I also ate a lot of paint chips when I was a kid. :shock:
That explains so much.... :cool:
The beauty of Grace is that it makes life not fair.

http://www.guncollectorsforum.com

ElGato

Post by ElGato »

I apologize for hijacking, but can't help it when anyone mentions smelling gun related products, a friend that I shoot skeet with once or twice a week will alway's smell the empty shells when he takes them from his shotgun, say's he loves the smell of burnt gunpowder.

He is almost 70 and still plays on a basketball team, is a really good shotgunner and dosen't and never has taken any kind of medication, I'm thinking about trying it my self, might improve my health and shooting :lol:
http://www.tomestepshooting.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm better at retirement than anything I have ever tried. Me
Young People pratice to get better, Old folk's pratice to keep from getting WORSE. Me

Cosmo 9

Post by Cosmo 9 »

Wise Man Say: He who can wash lips with Lava Soap is one Bad Mutha ! :twisted:

PS if the house smells like Hoppe's you know it's been a good day.

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flintknapper »

No4Mk1 wrote:
flintknapper wrote:But....I also ate a lot of paint chips when I was a kid. :shock:
That explains so much.... :cool:

Yeah, I don't think all that "lead" is really good for ya! :grin:
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

XD_Dan

Post by XD_Dan »

barres wrote:Since my six year-old son has become enamored with everything guns, I have a difficult time cleaning my guns after a trip to the range. Every time i need to get into the jar of Hoppe's, my son is bent over it sniffing it telling me that he loves the smell of the stuff.
Atta boy! ;-)

Cosmo 9 wrote:... if the house smells like Hoppe's you know it's been a good day.
Indeed!

Return to “Never Again!!”