A sudden excess of night visitors

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
seamusTX
Posts in topic: 6

A sudden excess of night visitors

Post by seamusTX »

Three nights ago the doorbell rang around 9:30 p.m. We have a window that faces the porch at a right angle to the front door, so if someone rings the bell, I can see and talk to them. It was a 30-ish woman whom I didn't recognize. I asked her what she wanted. She immediately launched into a fast-talking spiel about needing to get a prescription filled. Yeah, right, for crack. I told her I couldn't help her.

Last night it was a pizza delivery man with the wrong address (I could smell the pizza). I was amused that he could not figure out where I was and kept looking around, including up at the roof.

Tonight, Mrs. Casey went out on the front porch and saw a man leaning against the oak tree in the unfenced front yard. I went out and told him to go away. When he detached himself from the tree, he said something incoherent and lurched down the street, obviously intoxicated.

Let's hope these things come in threes.

- Jim

longtooth
Posts in topic: 2

Post by longtooth »

Hope they stop at 3. Especially w/ the wife outside. Shame porch setting has to be armed.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

I'm feel like hobbling her if she keeps going out on the porch at night. She is too optimistic sometimes.

- Jim

txinvestigator

Re: A sudden excess of night visitors

Post by txinvestigator »

seamusTX wrote:Three nights ago the doorbell rang around 9:30 p.m. We have a window that faces the porch at a right angle to the front door, so if someone rings the bell, I can see and talk to them. It was a 30-ish woman whom I didn't recognize. I asked her what she wanted. She immediately launched into a fast-talking spiel about needing to get a prescription filled. Yeah, right, for crack. I told her I couldn't help her.
LOL Do you run a pharmacy from your house?
Last night it was a pizza delivery man with the wrong address (I could smell the pizza). I was amused that he could not figure out where I was and kept looking around, including up at the roof.
Oh man, I am so hungry for pizza now. Did you get a slice for the hassle?
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

ElGato

Post by ElGato »

But Jim there is no crime in Galveston, the Chamber said it's very safe for tourist :roll:
http://www.tomestepshooting.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm better at retirement than anything I have ever tried. Me
Young People pratice to get better, Old folk's pratice to keep from getting WORSE. Me

CaptDave
Posts in topic: 1

Post by CaptDave »

Hey Tom,

Ken was slideing in a few rounds of skeet without you this afternoon at PSC....better keep an eye on him ;-)
"An armed society is a polite society"

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

This happened to me last summer;

last night just after 9PM there was a very loud, forceful knock at our front door. It was so loud that my wife commented, "thats an angry knock". Considering the hour and the fact that Collin County has had several home invasion robberies lately, I grabbed a strategically placed M1 Carbine and headed to the front door. (It is only a few feet away from where I was seated).

Before I could get to the door the doorbell rang twice in rapid succession, you know, that "hurry up and answer the damn door" ring. I tried to look out, but whoever was there was hugging the door, so I cracked the door open to discover 5 teens, 3 males and 2 females standing there.

I asked, "what"? They asked if they could borrow a cup of suger. (what the heck???) I quickly scanned around for vehicles, and saw none. I answered with a simple, stern and put out, "NO!". One youg man said sorry and they walked away.

I closed the door and watched them from a window. They went to no other houses but began to walk down the street. This ruled out some silly scavanger hunt or some such. I decided to call the police for several reasons. what the heck were these kids up to? Where they looking for a house to burglarize, to invade (I look pretty intimidating) with someone weak inside, etc? Why only my house? They should be told how easy it is for that type of activity, especially after dark, can get them hurt (44 year old ex-cop standing at the door with a carbine ) and I believed the should be ID'd and perhaps parents contacted.

So I called the police and got in my vehicle to follow the kids. When the lone female officer arrived I told her what happened and she responded with, "what would you like me to do?" I was thinking that doing her job and conducting an investigation by making contact would be a fair start, but I instead just told her I would like her to make contact and see what they were up to. She seemed put off and went to contact them.

She was out with them for less than 2 minutes. I stood outside of my house, in the street, so she could tell me what the deal was. Well she just drove away without returning to contact me. (Now I am perturbed). I could see her as she was only a few houses down, and she did not write down names or anything.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

txinvestigator wrote:LOL Do you run a pharmacy from your house?
No. She wanted money for her Rx (or is that fix?).
Did you get a slice for the hassle?
No. I didn't open the door, even for pizza, and I don't like delivery pizza much anyway.

- Jim

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

ElGato wrote:But Jim there is no crime in Galveston, the Chamber said it's very safe for tourist :roll:
No crimes occurred. :smile:

And I'm not a tourist. Practically everyone who is murdered in Galveston lives here.

- Jim

ElGato

Post by ElGato »

CaptDave wrote:Hey Tom,

Ken was slideing in a few rounds of skeet without you this afternoon at PSC....better keep an eye on him ;-)
I was Grandbaby sitting, took the 4 year olds to Walmart :lol:

He called and said he shot 3 rounds, no misses [75 birds] I told you he was getting tough.
http://www.tomestepshooting.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm better at retirement than anything I have ever tried. Me
Young People pratice to get better, Old folk's pratice to keep from getting WORSE. Me

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

seamusTX wrote:I'm feel like hobbling her if she keeps going out on the porch at night. She is too optimistic sometimes.

- Jim
Same here. Mine does not go out, just OPENS THE DOOR. :roll: I came home late from a hospital visit & she began to tell me about the door bell ringing & this woman was mad & her teen age son was standing behind her. Wanted her UPS package. They said they delivered it to this address. Short story is it was delivered across the street. She was mad. Why did you open the door? What if she had wanted to fight & use the help she brought w/ her? :oops: :oops: Yea did not think of that. I will do better.
Would not trade them for a solid gold monkey if he was 9 ft tall carrying a 6 ft silver sword. ;-)
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

seamusTX wrote:Three nights ago the doorbell rang around 9:30 p.m. We have a window that faces the porch at a right angle to the front door, so if someone rings the bell, I can see and talk to them. It was a 30-ish woman whom I didn't recognize. I asked her what she wanted. She immediately launched into a fast-talking spiel about needing to get a prescription filled. Yeah, right, for crack. I told her I couldn't help her.
I know a guy in Austin that got ripped off in under similar circumstances. Unkown Lady knocked on guy's apartment door at night. Lady said she needed money for medication for her kid. Guy stupidly wrote her a ~$15 check for it, which was altered and used for a ~$65 purchase.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

He's lucky that's all that happened. Plenty of people have been victimized by "women in distress" who are followed in by their boyfriend, or occasionally the woman herself is a robber.

I got scammed by some kids who seemed like they were selling school candy. They had forms from the school. I gave them some money and never heard back from them. When I called the school, they said that program had ended months earlier.

That was it for me. Nobody gets nothin' from now on.

- Jim

ccoker

Post by ccoker »

NEVER open the door to someone you don't know
period, end of discussion
instruct every member of your family to do the same

I had a scary thing happen years ago...
wife and I were in the backyard, our son, about 4 at the time goes inside for a minute to get a toy...

a few minutes later a man comes around to the the fence and calls for us...
announces that he's with the cable company and that he was just letting us know that he had rang the front doorbell and that our son opened it for him...

I can assure you, he got a stern lecture and scare tactic
"Sean, did you know that there are people who will steal you from mommy and daddy and cut your arms off and pour gasoline on you and set you on fire?"

yes, it was a gruesome and over the top discussion but it got the point drilled into him...

Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

A few years ago, I had a man trying to get me to open my door.

He said that he "uh, made deliveries in the area.". Yeah. sure.

I finally told him to leave whatever it was on the porch and I'd get it later. I called the cops promptly.
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

Return to “Never Again!!”