So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
seamusTX
Posts in topic: 1

Police "friendly fire" incident

Post by seamusTX »

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=2225778

Short version: Four New York City police officers go to handle landlord-tenant dispute. Pit bull attacks one officer. Three officers shot by other officers (or maybe themselves), one bitten, all hospitalized.

Reading between the lines, the officer who was being bitten was not shot.

How often do you practice?

- Jim

txinvestigator

Re: Police "friendly fire" incident

Post by txinvestigator »

seamusTX wrote:http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=2225778

Short version: Four New York City police officers go to handle landlord-tenant dispute. Pit bull attacks one officer. Three officers shot by other officers (or maybe themselves), one bitten, all hospitalized.

Reading between the lines, the officer who was being bitten was not shot.

How often do you practice?

- Jim
Good question. This situation is one few practice. Several armed people in close proximity, converging and overlapping fields of fire (I believe you Marines call this the "beaten zone"), a fierce wildly moving animal.....

Tactics are just as important as accuracy. ;)
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I realize hindsite is 20/20 but this seems like a prime time to break out the pepperspray. A pitbull being all over you isn't real condusive to clear thinking.

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

Liberty wrote:I realize hindsite is 20/20 but this seems like a prime time to break out the pepperspray. A pitbull being all over you isn't real condusive to clear thinking.

Yup!
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

I expect the after action report will include a reminder to New York's finest: "Don't stand in a circle and shoot at a target in the middle!"

Paladin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Paladin »

Dogs are pretty fast. Through experience I've found that once they engage, it's hard to get and aimed shot on them.

Verbal commands and spray are a good to try first. You may need a contact shot if that stuff doesn't work.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

dukalmighty

Post by dukalmighty »

All i got to say is maybe they decided it was better to die from a bullet than get eaten by a dog,kinda like the 3 stooges shemp you shoot larry larry you shoot moe moe you shoot shemp

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

dukalmighty wrote:All i got to say is maybe they decided it was better to die from a bullet than get eaten by a dog,kinda like the 3 stooges shemp you shoot larry larry you shoot moe moe you shoot shemp
When I was a LEO years ago, we had an incident with a rabid stray. It was really mangy, foaming at the mouth, the whole bit. It was on a weekend afternoon and things were really slow, so we had about 5 officers and animal control at the scene.

Animal Control was afraid to try and capture it since it was probably (later found to be) rabid, so we got supervisor approval to shoot it.

During the process of about 3 of us lining up to take a shot, the wind was blowing really hard. Just as we shot, a big gust blew one of the other officers hat off and it ended up being a victim friendly fire to 00 buckshot. We had to write a report since we discharged weapons, but also had to explain the requisition for a new hat. :oops:

To make matters worse, the supervisor for that shift had been a cartoonist for Leatherneck Magazine when he was in the Marines after being injured in Vietnam. He drew a cartoon with us all standing around, shooting a dog wearing the officers hat. It and the hat hung on the Chiefs office wall until he retired! :lol:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Paladin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Paladin »

Its long been my opinion that there's not enough training when it comes to handling dog attacks.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

Where were their tazers? Doesn't NYPD get those?
I am scared of empty guns and keep mine loaded at all times. The family knows the guns are loaded and treats them with respect. Loaded guns cause few accidents; empty guns kill people every year. -Elmer Keith. 1961

WarHawk-AVG

Post by WarHawk-AVG »

flintknapper wrote:
Liberty wrote:I realize hindsite is 20/20 but this seems like a prime time to break out the pepperspray. A pitbull being all over you isn't real condusive to clear thinking.

Yup!
Pepper spray will only make the dog drool more...pepper spray is completely ineffective against dogs, especially one that is already locked down on your arm...now WASP spray...if you use enough it can kill them!

Where was the LEO with the X26

We always can use more riding the lightening youtube videos
A sheepdog says "I will lead the way. I will set the highest standards. ...Your mission is to man the ramparts in this dark and desperate hour with honor and courage." - Lt. Col. Grossman
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’ - Edmond Burke

Return to “Never Again!!”