Sam's Club FAIL

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

RECIT
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Sam's Club FAIL

Post by RECIT »

Recently a friend who is a LEO told me that anytime he sees someone with a fanny pack he assumes that they are carrying a gun.[/quote]

Either a wierdo or a CHL holder. No one carries fanny packs anymore. That is a dead give away or a man purse on someone that is not geeky looking.

And I would think you would be really popular with the ladies if you smartcarry a 5" 1911. Is that a (blank) or are you just happy to see me?
"I am a Free Man, regardless of what set of 'rules' surround me. When I find them tolerable, I tolerate them. When I find them obnoxious, I ignore them. I remain free, because I know and understand that I alone bear full responsibility for everything I do, or chose not to do."

Tireshred

Post by Tireshred »

I accidentally open carried going to Bass Pro in Pearland once, the wind was whipping and blew my bowling type shirt over my Charles Daly Ultra X 45ACP. I walked in, shopped a bit, thought about trying on a shirt and that's when I noticed it, but no one else saw it or said a word. I think most wouldn't notice a bazooka and those that do assume you're a LEO. JMO.
"All of life's big problems include the words "Indictment" or "Inoperable", everything else is small stuff." Alton Brown

Justin Franklin

Post by Justin Franklin »

Sometimes I try extra hard to make sure my pistol doesn't "print" and other times I don't care as much. I think most people are too involved in their own little worlds to notice a little "printing". The law still reads that it must be concealed, so that's what I try to do.
Help support the Second Amendment by joining the NRA! We would not have a CHL program without them!

Southeast Texas CHL
Concealed Handgun Classes in League City
http://www.setxchl.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CollinLeon
Banned
Posts in topic: 10

Post by CollinLeon »

Dad24GreatKids wrote:Recently a friend who is a LEO told me that anytime he sees someone with a fanny pack he assumes that they are carrying a gun.
Technically, an LEO goes under the assumption that anyone that they are dealing with is carrying until proven otherwise. Anything else is not exactly in their self-interest...

I carry sometimes in a fanny pack... Sometimes it is the best choice... When I'm on my motorcycle in the summer, anything else would tend to print on me... Then again, I hate carrying a wallet in my back pocket and when you factor in cell phone and other stuff, sometimes the fanny pack works best... I've tried the Maxpedition shoulder "tactical" packs, but they just aren't that convenient in my opinion. I ended up just using the Maxpedition pack for my camera and lenses when I'm on vacation. Hell, even when I'm not carrying (like going into a school or court), I still wear my fanny pack.. Since it has all my stuff that would set off the metal detectors, it makes it easier to just let it go through the x-ray machine instead of spending a few minutes searching pockets for that last item that keeps setting off the damn metal detector.

If you want to carry any sort of socially respectable caliber, it's going to be difficult to carry it in such a way that someone who is familiar with concealed carry won't be able to spot it. Along the Gulf Coast in the summer, if you are wearing a jacket or vest, the odds are you are carrying. Although it is possible that the guy with the large beer gut is carrying a handgun in a IWB appendix carry, his draw is probably going to be slow enough due to his beer gut getting in the way that it's probably not the best carry position for him. There's a lot of us that are in this position unfortunately... We have two choices -- lose weight or find a different carry position. Most of us choose the latter... :oops:

Carrying a full size government model M1911 in a fanny pack is not practical for me. By the time you get a fanny pack that is large enough for it, you end up looking like you have a briefcase strapped on as a sporran... As such, I only carry a M1911 during the winter months when I can wear a jacket all the time. OK, I'm on the Gulf Coast, so maybe "months" is not an accurate measure of time -- make that the "winter weeks"... During the summer, the largest physical gun size that I carry is a Sig P229 in .357SIG...

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

RECIT wrote:Either a wierdo or a CHL holder. No one carries fanny packs anymore. That is a dead give away or a man purse on someone that is not geeky looking.
I guess I'm a weirdo then. I carry a fanny pack to work every day. I loop the strap over my head and carry it on my right side (so that it's much harder to steal - plus I'm alert anyway.) I call it a purse, but my wife hates that. My daughters call it my "murse" (as in man purse). I carry everything in it (sunglasses, regular glasses, wallet, keys, toothpicks, etc., etc. - but my money is in my pants pocket, just in case you were wondering), but that's not where my gun will be, so if you're looking there I've successfully distracted you. :bigear:

I think fashion dictates are idiotic. Just because it's considered "girley" to carry a purse, very few men will do it. Instead they stuff all their pockets full of hard pointy objects that poke them in the thighs every time they sit down and put their wallet in their rear pocket making it easy to steal and wearing holes through their pants. Personally I could care less what people think of me when they see it. I don't need someone else's approval to know that I'm a man who is comfortable in his own skin, knows who he is and doesn't need the world's acceptance to walk down the street.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

CollinLeon
Banned

Post by CollinLeon »

baldeagle wrote:I think fashion dictates are idiotic. Just because it's considered "girley" to carry a purse, very few men will do it. Instead they stuff all their pockets full of hard pointy objects that poke them in the thighs every time they sit down and put their wallet in their rear pocket making it easy to steal and wearing holes through their pants. Personally I could care less what people think of me when they see it. I don't need someone else's approval to know that I'm a man who is comfortable in his own skin, knows who he is and doesn't need the world's acceptance to walk down the street.
Well, first of all, no real man would be concerned about "fashion dictates" anyway... Only the quiche-eaters are concerned about fashion... Real men figure that jeans and dockers will cover any sort of occasion... Maybe a sport coat with the jeans and cowboy boots for the really formal occasions...

I've always found it stupid that clothing manufacturers use such thin material for the inside of our pockets (even on jeans). If I put stuff in my pockets, it seems that I'm always getting surprised by things that either fall out of a hole in them or just stick through and stab me in a place that I really would prefer not to be stabbed... If I'm using a fanny pack, I prefer to carry with a non-firearm model... That way, it just looks like I'm a tourist or geek carrying a fanny pack instead of carrying a handgun. You know the type -- they're not black and they don't have a 3" wide belt going around them. I'm not talking about the cheapo ones with the 1" belt though. You just need to remember not to buy one that has the buckle in the back. I made that mistake ONCE... It sucked... The buckle was always in the wrong spot whenever I was driving and it was quite irritating... Also, I find that when the buckle is in the back, it is more difficult to buckle than when it is on the side of the front of the pouch... I also find that the belt of the pack is a good place to clip my cell phone. It doesn't tend to get in the way like it does on my actual belt for some reason...

aaangel

Post by aaangel »

it so true! here in texas, if you wear a vest and a man purse, you are packing! how about infidel shirts and camo cargo shorts. oh yeah don't forget the camo hat! LOL... by the way i have all of them! "rlol"
'got to Texas ASAIC.

CollinLeon
Banned

Post by CollinLeon »

can2boy wrote:it so true! here in texas, if you wear a vest and a man purse, you are packing! how about infidel shirts and camo cargo shorts. oh yeah don't forget the camo hat! LOL... by the way i have all of them! "rlol"
Sometimes, I wear a black leather vest with a t-shirt and jeans... Then again, I'm riding my Harley, so it is kind of expected... I don't believe that it comes down far enough in the back that I can carry IWB or OWB on the 3 or 4 o'clock position without it printing (or possibly even showing). On the other hand, the vest has quite a few large inside pockets and I can carry a P229, 3 extra mags, wallet, and a cell phone and it not be obvious (other than the fact that the vest doesn't blow around much in a stiff breeze)... The only problem is that the neck of the vest is resting on one of the vertebrae in the back of my neck and the weight gets irritating after awhile, so I don't go this route very often...

Personally, I wish some of the sporran manufacturers would create a sporran that was the right size for various handguns. Something like this might work with a few design changes:

http://www.sportkilt.com/index.php?p=vi ... ct_id=1911" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not so sure about those tassels, but they would be easy enough to remove, I suspect...

One could look at like it as a bulkier version of the old style military holsters for the M1911s:

http://image.sportsmansguide.com/dimage ... 0&cvt=jpeg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just not quite as close fitting to the firearm as the old holsters... ;-)

It would be easy enough to design it so that it could be worn either on the front like a typical sporran or on the strong side through your belt like a traditional OWB holster. The only issue that I see with it on the side would be for when you are in a car since it would probably interfere with the seat belt latch. On the other hand, if you are on a motorcycle, wearing it on the side would work great.

Yeah, maybe it would be rather noticeable carrying it that way, but technically it would be concealed and from a practical standpoint of alarming the non-firearm knowledgeable public, they wouldn't notice any printing from it since it would be made from heavy leather. From a standpoint of truly being concealed such that an LEO wouldn't know that you were carrying, well, it might not work that well for that...

CollinLeon
Banned

Post by CollinLeon »

I have to wonder if something like this:

http://www.epsaddlery.com/pc-106-14-1902-holster.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

if it completely covered the firearm would technically be classified as "concealed"... It doesn't really leave much to the imagination of what it actually is though... ;-)

Maybe a bit of modification to the design so that it was worn this way and it would even be able to be worn in a car without interfering with the seat belt / shoulder harness:

http://www.epsaddlery.com/images/Product/large/154.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kind of an in-your-face open/concealed carry... ;-)

KD5NRH
Posts in topic: 4

Post by KD5NRH »

baldeagle wrote:I think fashion dictates are idiotic.
Fashion dictates exist for a reason. Many reasons, actually, of which this is but a single example:

CollinLeon
Banned

Post by CollinLeon »

KD5NRH wrote: Fashion dictates exist for a reason. Many reasons, actually, of which this is but a single example:
Yeah, but his problem is that he is trying to be fashionable... Of course, he's failing miserably at it though...

KD5NRH
Posts in topic: 4

Post by KD5NRH »

CollinLeon wrote:Yeah, but his problem is that he is trying to be fashionable... Of course, he's failing miserably at it though...
So which member is this?

CollinLeon
Banned

Post by CollinLeon »

KD5NRH wrote: So which member is this?
Other than the strap under his hat looking a bit strange, I don't really see anything wrong with that... Kind of difficult to tell from the photo though... Maybe it was prior to a hurricane in Florida and he needed his hat on tight...

Well, it seems that the rest of my post got deleted by the Admin supposedly for profanity. Personally, I did not consider it profane, but apparently someone got their panties in an uproar and and complained about it.

It always seemed funny to me that sites that are so vocal on not having their 2nd Amendment rights infringed upon can also be so anti-1st-Amendment.

Oh well, let's try it again and see if this is better for those with sensitive ears.....

The guy in question in the photo is still dressed better than the (sexual-persuasion/position-deleted) gangbanger wannabes that have the crotch of their pants hanging down between their knees.
Last edited by CollinLeon on Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jester

Post by jester »

CollinLeon wrote:Personally, I wish some of the sporran manufacturers would create a sporran that was the right size for various handguns. Something like this might work with a few design changes:

http://www.sportkilt.com/index.php?p=vi ... ct_id=1911" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not so sure about those tassels, but they would be easy enough to remove, I suspect...
Have you considered a thigh holster concealed under your kilt?

Or for a full size gun.
"There is but one correct answer...and it is best delivered with a Winchester rifle."

Kevinf2349

Post by Kevinf2349 »

I saw a guy at work today with a strange case in his hand. He saw me looking at it and told me it was an e-book carry case. I told him I thought it was a concealed handgun and laughed....his response? I am thinking of applying for one of those. :thumbs2: I smiled, told him to go for it and said nothing more...'loose lips, sink ships' and all that. :biggrinjester:
Glock - When a FTF just isn't an option!

04/24/09 - CHL Class
08/17/09 - Plastic in hand!

NRA & TSRA Member

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

"Society doesn't have a gun problem; Society has a society problem"

Return to “Never Again!!”