My Ooopps! this weekend.

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
97Octane
Posts in topic: 1

My Ooopps! this weekend.

Post by 97Octane »

OK... I was at a restaurant over the weekend and excused myself from the table to head for the restroom. I was walking quickly, as a sense of urgency was pressing my motivation.

Walk in to the restroom, stall 1..occupied. Stall 2 occupied... stall 3 open! Finally. I go in, close the door, and clean the seat and quickly unfasten my belt etc... on my down to put my rear on the seat I felt a sudden release of weight on my right side. Everythign from there happened in slow motion. I could head the end of my belt strap quickly unraveling throught my two belt loops and caught out of the corner of my eye as my OWB holster with my H&K land on floor with a loud thump! Now, I dont have to tell you that the stalls were rather small, and the poor gentleman in the stall next me almost got his foot smashed from the drop. There is was... right next to his foot near the imaginary line that divides the stalls under the partition. I mumbled *sorry, and grabed the pistol in its holster almost as quickly as it fell.

Poor guy... there was a brief awkward moment of silence, then a loud flush on his behalf. He was scrambling to get this pants pulled up and out of there in a jiffy. I went back to the table, and for the rest of the time while at the restaurant, I was lookign around waiting for the police to show up looking for a *man with a gun. They never came...

propellerhead

Post by propellerhead »

That is the exact scenario I fear, which makes me lean towards a Belly Band or pocket carry.

txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 3

Post by txinvestigator »

A thumb strap on your holster prevents this, and other causes of losing your pistol. However, I am in the minority on this board regarding thumb straps.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

wrt45

Post by wrt45 »

txinvestigator wrote:A thumb strap on your holster prevents this, and other causes of losing your pistol. However, I am in the minority on this board regarding thumb straps.
No disagreement here.......I have a retention strap on every holster I use. :thumbsup:

CaptDave

Post by CaptDave »

Sounds like the whole "shootin match" (no pun, ok some pun intended) ie: holster and gun, hit the floor.

Threading your belt through the first loop of the holster, then through a belt loop and through the other loop of your holster should anchor the holster and prevent that from happeniing.
"An armed society is a polite society"

txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 3

Post by txinvestigator »

CaptDave wrote:Sounds like the whole "shootin match" (no pun, ok some pun intended) ie: holster and gun, hit the floor.

Threading your belt through the first loop of the holster, then through a belt loop and through the other loop of your holster should anchor the holster and prevent that from happeniing.
I missed that apparant fact. :headscratch

Yep, I always go thru a belt loop too.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

GrillKing

Post by GrillKing »

wrt45 wrote:
txinvestigator wrote:A thumb strap on your holster prevents this, and other causes of losing your pistol. However, I am in the minority on this board regarding thumb straps.
No disagreement here.......I have a retention strap on every holster I use. :thumbsup:
I agree, no retention, no carry for me....

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

At least you didn't have to retrieve it from the toilet. I'm sure that has happened to someone.

One of the nice things about the shoulder holster I wear is that it presents no problem when in the "boys room". Also, very easy to put on and take off, but not the best method of carry for everyone.

I'm sure the fellow in the other stall had a "story" to tell someone shortly after the incident. :grin:
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 2

Post by stevie_d_64 »

I'm thinking we almost need a "potty humor" discussion thread...

Albiet this issue does bring some serious safety and control issues to mind...

I'm just waiting for the day that I'm sitting there and someone else loses theirs and it comes underneath into my stall...

I kick it back and say:

"Mine's bigger than yours..."

I wonder...:smilelol5:
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

HighVelocity

Post by HighVelocity »

Could've been worse... You might have had blue water dripping out of the weapon. :oops:
I am scared of empty guns and keep mine loaded at all times. The family knows the guns are loaded and treats them with respect. Loaded guns cause few accidents; empty guns kill people every year. -Elmer Keith. 1961

fm2

Post by fm2 »

LOL, Live & learn. Nobody talks about having to re-learn how to take your pants off. :oops:

I realize yours was an urgent situation. These steps might help some folks out who carry strong side hip. You might try standing with your feet a lil further apart first. Then undo the belt while holding the gun(combat grip/#1 of the drawstroke) & holster with the strong side hand, undo the button/zipper with the other hand. Hold your pants @ 9 & 3 (while also holding the gun & holster) guiding the gun & holster away from you, so it doesn't drag on your leg, and down. You may have to narrow your feet and then widen them again, to keep tension on the waistband. When the waistband is @ your ankles widen your feet too keep the pistol more or less vertical. The rest of the activity is the same as BCHL. :grin: This is one way to solve the situation.

Braden

Post by Braden »

The one and only time I have ever dropped my gun was in the bathroom at work. I used to be in the habit of unholstering my gun and sitting it carefully on top of the tank on the toilet before sitting down.

One day, as usual, I walked in, went to the end stall, unholstered and carefully laid the gun on top of the toilet tank and then sat down to do my business. I got back up, buttoned up, belted up and reached for my gun...except instead of grabbing it I nudged it. It slides off the side of the tank and lands with a loud THUD on the floor against the wall. :shock: There were two people in the two stalls to my left (luckly gun fell towards right side against wall). I holstered the gun and got out of there VERY quickly.

Ever since then the gun has stayed holsterd while I do my business.
"I can do all things through Him who strengthens me." - Philippians 4:13

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

flintknapper wrote:At least you didn't have to retrieve it from the toilet. I'm sure that has happened to someone.
I read about a cop who was in the bathroom in a mall, dropped his Glock into the bowl, and managed to discharge it twice before he got it out of the bowl :shock: Fortunately nobody was killed.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Paladin

Re: My Ooopps! this weekend.

Post by Paladin »

97Octane wrote:my OWB holster with my H&K land on floor with a loud thump!
As I read it the whole holster came loose... So I'm uncertain what benifit a retention strap would have been.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

kw5kw

Post by kw5kw »

Paladin wrote:
flintknapper wrote:At least you didn't have to retrieve it from the toilet. I'm sure that has happened to someone.
I read about a cop who was in the bathroom in a mall, dropped his Glock into the bowl, and managed to discharge it twice before he got it out of the bowl :shock: Fortunately nobody was killed.
This is why I don't prefer Glock's as they do not have the grip safety; you really have to watch the trigger.
Russ
kw5kw

Retired DPS Communications Operator PCO III January 2014.

Return to “Never Again!!”