My Ooopps! this weekend.

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 3

Re: My Ooopps! this weekend.

Post by txinvestigator »

Paladin wrote:
97Octane wrote:my OWB holster with my H&K land on floor with a loud thump!
As I read it the whole holster came loose... So I'm uncertain what benifit a retention strap would have been.
captDave wrote:Sounds like the whole "shootin match" (no pun, ok some pun intended) ie: holster and gun, hit the floor.
txinvestigator wrote:I missed that apparant fact.
:roll:
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

fm2
Posts in topic: 2

Post by fm2 »

kw5kw
This is why I don't prefer Glock's as they do not have the grip safety; you really have to watch the trigger.
Heck, that's what I like. :razz:
If it takes a dip, just rinse it off, shake it out, and off you go.
A Glock is a lot easier to fish out than say a kel-tec. I wonder if anyone else has thought about that?

dws1117
Posts in topic: 1

Post by dws1117 »

At least the other guy was in the right place to have something scared out of him. :lol:

I can't remember if it was here or another board, but I seem to remember a thread a while back about someone dropping thier gun in the can. I think it was here.

Odin

Re: My Ooopps! this weekend.

Post by Odin »

97Octane wrote:OK... I was at a restaurant over the weekend and excused myself from the table to head for the restroom. I was walking quickly, as a sense of urgency was pressing my motivation.

Walk in to the restroom, stall 1..occupied. Stall 2 occupied... stall 3 open!
The first lesson here is that any restaurant that causes an urgent trip to the bathroom AND keeps the stalls full is probably not serving the best food in town. Although I've probably eaten there myself.

97Octane wrote: Finally. I go in, close the door, and clean the seat and quickly unfasten my belt etc... on my down to put my rear on the seat I felt a sudden release of weight on my right side. Everythign from there happened in slow motion. I could head the end of my belt strap quickly unraveling throught my two belt loops and caught out of the corner of my eye as my OWB holster with my H&K land on floor with a loud thump! Now, I dont have to tell you that the stalls were rather small, and the poor gentleman in the stall next me almost got his foot smashed from the drop. There is was... right next to his foot near the imaginary line that divides the stalls under the partition. I mumbled *sorry, and grabed the pistol in its holster almost as quickly as it fell.

Poor guy... there was a brief awkward moment of silence, then a loud flush on his behalf. He was scrambling to get this pants pulled up and out of there in a jiffy. I went back to the table, and for the rest of the time while at the restaurant, I was lookign around waiting for the police to show up looking for a *man with a gun. They never came...
You found a new way to get some privacy in the bathroom. :grin:

Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

I've had my gun fall out a time or two. Fortunately, I've been the only one in the bathroom.
I've started sitting where my pants are tight at the waist on my legs so that the gun & holster stay in place. If I don't do that, then I hang my purse from the hook on the stall and put it in my purse. (I realize the latter is not much of an option for the men.)
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

JLaw

Post by JLaw »

dws1117 wrote:At least the other guy was in the right place to have something scared out of him. :lol:
:smilelol5:

So true!

JLaw

Tote 9

Post by Tote 9 »

JLaw wrote:
dws1117 wrote:At least the other guy was in the right place to have something scared out of him. :lol:
I wonder how clean he was when he left.
Myself I haven't had that problem yet. Unlike many others I carry inside- in
the front. I find this much more comfortable than any other inside the waist carry. When I unbutton my pants, my hand is right there on my gun. I haven't
been carrying that long and so far I have never dropped my gun, but the day will come I know, I hate scratches.

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

It just goes to show you that Glocks can take a lot of...of...ahhhh...abuse...Yeah...Thats what I meant...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Thane

Post by Thane »

I've had my pistol eat floor only once, in the restroom. Fortunately, it's a one-person restroom. Unfortunately, it hit hard enough that my co-workers heard it hit across the store! :shock:

As I wear a rather heavy belt buckle, I was able to pass the loud CLUNK off as something innocuous, but it taught me to be extremely careful in future! I now typically unholster it and lay it down on the TP dispenser, the sink, or hang it off the coathook (safety engaged :grin: ) if I believe it could fall out of the holster.

As for retention straps... I carry IWB tucked, and my "normal" retention is my tucked-in shirt. I've yet to see a tuckable holster with retention strap that is practical for me.

rodnocker1

Post by rodnocker1 »

Paladin wrote:
flintknapper wrote:At least you didn't have to retrieve it from the toilet. I'm sure that has happened to someone.
I read about a cop who was in the bathroom in a mall, dropped his Glock into the bowl, and managed to discharge it twice before he got it out of the bowl :shock: Fortunately nobody was killed.
:shock: Wow, you would think that 2 in the head would be fatal. :grin:
Rodney

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

rodnocker1 wrote:
Paladin wrote:
flintknapper wrote:At least you didn't have to retrieve it from the toilet. I'm sure that has happened to someone.
I read about a cop who was in the bathroom in a mall, dropped his Glock into the bowl, and managed to discharge it twice before he got it out of the bowl :shock: Fortunately nobody was killed.
:shock: Wow, you would think that 2 in the head would be fatal. :grin:
Just sprayed my keyboard with coffee.. What a mess! :nono:

Skipper5

Post by Skipper5 »

fm2 wrote:LOL, Live & learn. Nobody talks about having to re-learn how to take your pants off. :oops:

I realize yours was an urgent situation. These steps might help some folks out who carry strong side hip. You might try standing with your feet a lil further apart first. Then undo the belt while holding the gun(combat grip/#1 of the drawstroke) & holster with the strong side hand, undo the button/zipper with the other hand. Hold your pants @ 9 & 3 (while also holding the .......
You put your RIGHT FOOT in and take your Right Foot out...n shake it all about....oh hummmm...grins abounding. ...Just about falling off my chair with the mental image....
++1 agree as to thumb strap and belt loop in between holster in/out.
TX CHL Holder
NRA Life Member
TSRA Member - Yes to Castle Doctrine! Success!!

Skipper5

One of all time classics

Post by Skipper5 »

I think we need to ask Chas to place this posting in a very special place on the site.
This is just too funny....it's something that has either happened, been dreaded, or may happen in future- male or female...
Yes Venus...I just stopped carrying my purse...lol...

Anyway, this is one of the best community posts I have read; it proves that we can laugh at ourselves, and that this Forum is made up of some very funny/witty people...while some useful ideas passed along to boot errr...no pun intended there, brings a new meaning to cross drawing.... Still laughing...just all flushed here.
TX CHL Holder
NRA Life Member
TSRA Member - Yes to Castle Doctrine! Success!!

maximus2161

Post by maximus2161 »

Paladin wrote:

Geeez!!!!

I hate to have to explain that one to my chief!

glocklvr

Post by glocklvr »

I am glad I am not the only 1 to have an oops mine occured at the day after thanksgiving sale at best buy. I had a fellow customer help me load a 32 inch tv onto a cart which I was getting ready to purchase and as usual especially in a place that crowded I had my winter rig on which is an under arm holster with my glock model 36 45cal. While fighting with this big bulky and fairly heavy box I looked down to see my jacket pushed back much farther than usual and my gun standing out in the open and couldn't let go of the box to get my cover back right away as I wanted to do. To make matters wors I looked at the customer that was helping me and saw he was looking right at my rig so I finished loading my box and immediately got my cover back. After the box was on the cart and I had my cover back the guy that was helping me just said "oops" as I thanked him for his help. It turned out that the guy helping me also had a CHL with a similar rig and was just glad it happened to me and not him. I am just glad it was a fellow CHL holder and not some anti that could have gotten very interresting very fast. Since then I am much more careful about what I do in public with my rig on and how I do things.

Return to “Never Again!!”