A LETTER TO THE OWNER OF BACHMAN PAWN AND GUNS

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

dessl
Posts in topic: 1

Re: A LETTER TO THE OWNER OF BACHMAN PAWN AND GUNS

Post by dessl »

My only experience with Bachman pawn was at the gun show and they were jerks. I figured they just couldn't handle the fast pace of the show on that particular day. I ended up buying a Kimber from AJC for a better price.

drjoker
Banned

Post by drjoker »

I don't know why, but a lot of gun shops are run by inconsistent people. That's because I think the owners think of their shop as a HOBBY, not a business. I will not name any names because this particular shop has helped me immensely in the past by ordering some pretty hard-to-find stuff for me FOR FREE (I only paid the wholesale cost. They made zero dollars on the deal.) However, sometimes I go in and the same nice guys act like total jerks. Like, one time, I wanted to give them the business by buying something from them (even though they charge more) because they helped me order the rare stuff I wanted at no profit to them. I called them and asked them if their overpriced ammo is in stock. They said, "no, try back Friday." I called back Friday and asked again and he replies, "XYZ!, I already told you I ain't got it!" Sheesh, I was trying to do him a FAVOR buy purposely buying at 20% OVER the price charged for the exact same stuff at Dick's that Dick's Sporting Goods has IN STOCK.

I've come to the conclusion that they can be great one day and jerks the next because they do whatever they fancy doing at the time. They don't care about consistency because it is a HOBBY, not a BUSINESS. That's why I've given up on gun stores. I suggest you buy long guns and ammo at Dick's (they have the BEST customer service) and all your other stuff FTF from fellow forum members. LIfe is too short for the run-around and high drama. I want my guns and ammo buying experiences to be relaxed and fun, not drama-filled.

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RPBrown »

I have been in Bachman twice and both times they were rude. I have never and will never buy from them.
I go to Pioneer Gun Shop on Bedford Euless Rd. Nice folk and reasonable prices. There are a couple of others around that I go to as well but Pioneer seems to have the best selection.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

drjoker wrote:I don't know why, but a lot of gun shops are run by inconsistent people. That's because I think the owners think of their shop as a HOBBY, not a business. I will not name any names because this particular shop has helped me immensely in the past by ordering some pretty hard-to-find stuff for me FOR FREE (I only paid the wholesale cost. They made zero dollars on the deal.) However, sometimes I go in and the same nice guys act like total jerks. Like, one time, I wanted to give them the business by buying something from them (even though they charge more) because they helped me order the rare stuff I wanted at no profit to them. I called them and asked them if their overpriced ammo is in stock. They said, "no, try back Friday." I called back Friday and asked again and he replies, "XYZ!, I already told you I ain't got it!" Sheesh, I was trying to do him a FAVOR buy purposely buying at 20% OVER the price charged for the exact same stuff at Dick's that Dick's Sporting Goods has IN STOCK.

I've come to the conclusion that they can be great one day and jerks the next because they do whatever they fancy doing at the time. They don't care about consistency because it is a HOBBY, not a BUSINESS. That's why I've given up on gun stores. I suggest you buy long guns and ammo at Dick's (they have the BEST customer service) and all your other stuff FTF from fellow forum members. LIfe is too short for the run-around and high drama. I want my guns and ammo buying experiences to be relaxed and fun, not drama-filled.

Hmm, sounds to me like he was just frustrated because people kept calling him asking for ammo he didn't have, and he reacted poorly. My guess is that few people that run gun stores of any size, think of it as a hobby. WAY too much effort, trouble (from customers and government meddling) and expense to be a hobby. Kinda like having a hobby of being an IRS auditor! :smilelol5:
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I just found out last week that a dear friend of mine - and one of my clients - used to own a pawnshop and had an FFL. It's an interesting line of business. Being lenders, pawn-brokers are subject to a lot of state regulations which do not affect other types of businesses.

Anyway, my friend has an interesting story to tell, full of God's grace and provision, but I won't share it here out of respect for that person's privacy. My friend is now in a completely unrelated line of business, and no longer has an FFL.

I've never dealt with Bachman Pawn except at a gun show as a window shopper, but I have noticed that the help is not particularly enthusiastic about helping. As a result, I've bought 3 guns over the last 2 years from the S.A.W. booth at the Ft Worth gun show - a Ruger .22, a S&W .22, and my M&P 45 - always from the same salesman, and have found their sales people to be helpful and friendly. After having comparison shopped the same models at both booths, I might have paid $10 more per gun at the S.A.W. booth, but that extra $10 was money well spent on courteous service and a friendlier atmosphere. And now, whenever I stop by their booth, the guy recognizes me, and we always have a great conversation, whether or not I buy anything.

If you want good sales people, you have to pay them a little better. If you pay them better, you have to charge slightly more for your products, since gun retailers operate on a pretty short margin already. The S.A.W. gun show prices are still better than their store prices, and their store prices are still better than MSRP. I'm not necessarily trying to advertise for them. I'm just trying to make a point. You get what you pay for. If Bachman Pawn's prices are better than everyone else's, it isn't because they buy at a deeper discount than other large retailers get from the same distributors. Their better pricing is because they are operating on a thinner margin, and therefore they have less money to pay good, courteous sales people.

Personally, I am willing to pay a small amount more for not having to deal with the aggravation of a Bachman Pawn. My opinion is that, given the realities of the market and of gun show pricing, don't complain if you get exactly what you pay for. I vote with my wallet.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
aaangel
Posts in topic: 12

Post by aaangel »

yup! i agree with you on SAW. i was looking at a kimber one time and one of the salesman came up and said "it's much better if you hold it!" he takes it out of the security line and gives it to me! Try that @ the Bachman's table!. that's if you can get the attention of their sales people. "rlol"
'got to Texas ASAIC.

randomoutburst
Posts in topic: 4

Post by randomoutburst »

I agree, S.A.W. is very good. When I was looking for my S&W Model 60, they were the only shop in the metroplex that had one in stock, AND it was almost $100 cheaper than I was quoted at the other places. In addition, the salesclerks were very friendly and helpful. Wish they weren't so out of the way now that I've moved farther north into Texas...I really liked them!

jbirds1210

Post by jbirds1210 »

I tried to buy a used Glock 19 from them a couple of years ago at the Mesquite show. I asked the employee if he could take the cable off of the gun so I could field strip it and he quickly told me I was welcome to take it apart after I purchased it. I thought I misunderstood him, but soon realized he was serious...they would not allow me to look at the inside of a used gun. That was their one and only chance for my money.

Jason
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

Topic author
aaangel

Post by aaangel »

update by the way on the letter...... i never got a response! i figured that. the apple doesn't really fall far from the tree.
'got to Texas ASAIC.

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

jbirds1210 wrote:I tried to buy a used Glock 19 from them a couple of years ago at the Mesquite show. I asked the employee if he could take the cable off of the gun so I could field strip it and he quickly told me I was welcome to take it apart after I purchased it. I thought I misunderstood him, but soon realized he was serious...they would not allow me to look at the inside of a used gun. That was their one and only chance for my money.

Jason
A dealer that won't let me examine the working parts of a used firearm has lost all of my business. No way I buy a pig in a poke.

:mad5
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

Kevinf2349

Post by Kevinf2349 »

I heard of a case this weekend where Elite (in Texas City) refused to even get a firearm out of the display case to let someone handle it claiming the oil from their hands would effect the gun! Personally I wouldn't buy a firearm without being able to touch and feel it. :totap: I intend to go in there soon and see if they try and sell me the same story!
Glock - When a FTF just isn't an option!

04/24/09 - CHL Class
08/17/09 - Plastic in hand!

NRA & TSRA Member

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

"Society doesn't have a gun problem; Society has a society problem"

magicglock

Post by magicglock »

I have purchased a total of six guns from bachman over the past three years because of one sales person everyone else seems to hate. The big guy, Luke, is a bit misunderstood. Not the most knowledgeable and can be very abrasive to customers at times but the guy is honest! He has sent me away to other dealers at shows for a better price and always treated me with respect. Luke is not afraid to offer an opinion or speak his mind. Some people just don't like hearing an opinion or don't understand that it is just an opinion. He has even told me to come back in a day or two for a better deal in store.

The problem with Bachman is the owner! Abrasive, rude, could care less if you do business with him or not, and could care less about his employees. That attitude translates to the sales staff. Price is king and if you don't buy it someone else will. You buy from bachman for a good price but don't expect much more. If it is only a $10 difference, I will gladly pay someone else.

Topic author
aaangel

Post by aaangel »

Not the most knowledgeable and can be very abrasive to customers at times
that explains it! thanks. i really thought he was profiling me. "rlol"
'got to Texas ASAIC.

LarryH

Post by LarryH »

Kevinf2349 wrote:I heard of a case this weekend where Elite (in Texas City) refused to even get a firearm out of the display case to let someone handle it claiming the oil from their hands would effect the gun! Personally I wouldn't buy a firearm without being able to touch and feel it. :totap: I intend to go in there soon and see if they try and sell me the same story!
A few years ago, my wife and I went into Elite with the intent of looking at some Kimbers. The young "lady" said that she couldn't let us handle any of the guns UNLESS we were going to buy one that day. We haven't been back, and won't go there again.

jbirds1210

Post by jbirds1210 »

Kevinf2349 wrote:I heard of a case this weekend where Elite (in Texas City) refused to even get a firearm out of the display case to let someone handle it claiming the oil from their hands would effect the gun! Personally I wouldn't buy a firearm without being able to touch and feel it. :totap: I intend to go in there soon and see if they try and sell me the same story!
I have said it before, Elite Sound and Security (entire business name for the benefit of search engines) in Texas City is the absolute worst place I have ever done firearm business with. They are local to me and I do my very best to tell everyone how terrible they are. I would not purchase a gun from them for half price if it was offered. The guy irritated me so much, I considered a one - man public demonstration on some nearby property owned by my family. He is a crook and please tell him Jason said so. :rolll
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

Return to “Never Again!!”