Is Houston getting more violent

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

WildBill
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Is Houston getting more violent

Post by WildBill »

I don't know if it has anything to do with crime rates, but I have never seen a place, other than Harris County, that has such lackadaisical zoning regulations.
NRA Endowment Member

Hoosier Daddy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

Freedom. Some people like it. Some don't.
Indiana Lifetime Handgun License

fulano
Posts in topic: 2

Post by fulano »

Hoosier Daddy wrote:Freedom. Some people like it. Some don't.
You are so correct. Most of us can chose where we live. That part of freedom is one of my favorite parts.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they don't want to hear." George Orwell 1903-1950

RocketSurgeon
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RocketSurgeon »

The link to bus stops could easily correspond to the following statement:

"The main factor in the rate of violent crime is the number of impoverished, uneducated young men in society. That demographic group has been shrinking since about 1990, and so has the rate of violent crime."

Impoverished, uneducated young men in society, I would imagine, is a large number of those that use public transportation, in the suburbs.

One could say the same thing about apartment complexes. Impoverished, uneducated young men, I would imagine, can't get the bank loan to purchase a home, so renting an apartment is a valid choice.

tacticool
Posts in topic: 1

Post by tacticool »

RocketSurgeon wrote:The link to bus stops could easily correspond to the following statement:
It's not that hard to buy a running car for $500 or less in Houston, if you don't care about AC or how it looks. A lot of the illegals don't buy insurance so that helps keep the costs down.
When in doubt
Vote them out!

Topic author
philip964
Posts in topic: 4

Post by philip964 »

fulano wrote:IMFMO
I worked in Houston for 16+ years. Eight of those years I lived there.

I lived and worked in Dallas for 20+ years. I compare the two.

I had many many personal incidents in Houston. License plate thefts, two. Registration sticker theft (scraped off the windshield), one. Car vandalism, three. Car "breaking and entering, two. Personal threat situations, two. Witness to a reported crime, two. Other incidents I avoided, many. I carried in Houston before GWB signed the law....to protect my life.

My apartment was in the Galleria area and was gated with a 24 hour attendent. I had stolen mail, vandalism, breakin in this apartment and nobody knew nuttin'. In Dallas metro area, I've lived in Farmersbranch, Garland, Denton, Plano, and Dallas and have never (knock on my PM9) been threatened, been witness to a crime or vandalized here.

You don't want to hear it but.....The Dallas metroplex is segregated financially and through zoning. Everyone..that's everyone, knows the "bad part of town". In Houston, the whole city is glomed together with good neighborhoods and bad ones only a block apart and the ease of the gangs and crooks to cross from one place to the other is irresistible; and they do.

IMFMO
The only place I have ever personally seen a pistol fired in anger was late at night in the '70's near Six Flags over Texas, a man drove off without paying for gas and the owner ran out and fired the gun in the air. I came in for directions and decided not to stick around, I would get them some where else. So I don't have the same view of Dallas.

Funny how your personal safety alarm can go off so quickly though. I was in Austin over the weekend and I was on 6th street (not carrying) I felt fine and perfectly safe at 8:00 but when I came out after dinner at 10:00 I didnt. Just didnt feel right. I briskly walked West to Congress.

In Paris, (France), I walked everywhere at night, in the day, felt perfectly safe. When I returned my French friends said "you went where, are you crazy" It all looked so picturesque, I did not see the danger.

I have a friend from Iran, looking for a house, we discuss neighborhoods in Houston, and I asked do they have good and bad neighborhoods in Iran. You betcha, the world is the same, a few rotten apples spoil the basket everywhere.

Return to “Never Again!!”