Getting measured for a suit...

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Texas Size 11
Posts in topic: 3

Getting measured for a suit...

Post by Texas Size 11 »

Here's a dumb one for y'all that I happened to be part of this weekend...so I have to travel for work today and I need to wear a suit because I will be speaking to a large group of people over a couple of days. I am fortunate that I do not have to play dress up too often for work, so I have one suit. It's black. I have a pair of boots that I like to wear with it that have met their end, so I decide it would just be a good idea to go buy another pair of black boots. I have tons of brown ones, just one pair of black ones. I stop and look at Shepler's and cannot find anything that makes me really happy so I decide I want to do somewhere else. In between the time we left until our next destination, my wife decides that I'd probably be better off buying a new suit since mine is kind of old and, well, it has "shrunk" a bit. So, we stop off and lo and behold, the store says they tailor it within an hour so I can take it with me.

Well, as it turns out, I was carrying (since I always carry when leaving the house) and the tailor was measuring away and kept bumping around my weapon and says, looks like you are a 44 waist (I'm really a 40, fat, but not that fat), but I think I am getting hung up on something around your waist. That was a bit of an uncomfortable feeling, but I don't think he expected a Glock 22 there, but more like a cell phone or something. I told him to just get me a 40 to 42 waist and it would fit fine. I was able to get in the dressing room and try them on without my carry weapon so it was a great fit.

Moral of the story is to leave your gun in the car if somebody is throwing a tape measure around your waist. :shock:
Never pet a burning dog...

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Getting measured for a suit...

Post by Pawpaw »

This past December I had to buy a new suit. My father passed away on a Friday morning and I wanted to be "presentable" for the viewing on Sunday and the burial on Monday.

Friday afternoon, I went to the Men's Warehouse. When the salesman was eyeballing me for size, I quietly told him I had an extra "lump of metal" on my belt and the suit needed to be tailored accordingly. It was no big deal and they took all measurements with my pistol in place, including when I tried on the pants & jacket. It was all done very discreetly and the weapon was never exposed. They had me put the pants & coat on and then he reached inside the coat when measuring my waist.

It was really a non-issue and no one would ever guess I was armed.

The only issue to me was the cost of a new suit! I got two for the price of one, but WOW!!! :shock:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

surprise_i'm_armed
Posts in topic: 4
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

http://whitehousetapes.net/clip/lyndon- ... ggar-pants

The above link is to a 13 minute long audiotape of LBJ ordering clothing over the phone
from Texas-based Haggar Pants. Recorded August 9, 1964.

LBJ asked for longer pockets so that his money and his knife would not fall out when he sat.

He also asks for other special tailoring so that he would not feel like he was "riding a barbed
wire fence". :-)

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

cbr600

Post by cbr600 »

deleted
Last edited by cbr600 on Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

surprise_i'm_armed wrote:http://whitehousetapes.net/clip/lyndon- ... ggar-pants

The above link is to a 13 minute long audiotape of LBJ ordering clothing over the phone

LBJ asked for longer pockets so that his money and his knife would not fall out when he sat.

He also asks for other special tailoring so that he would not feel like he was "riding a barbed

SIA
Good gravy! That is precious. Where did you find that link? I don't think I've ever be able to get the sound of LBJ describing his more intimate anatomy out of my mind. I am ruined for life.
"rlol"
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
Texas Size 11

Post by Texas Size 11 »

cbr600 wrote:
Texas Size 11 wrote:Moral of the story is to leave your gun in the car if somebody is throwing a tape measure around your waist. :shock:
I, on the other hand, expect to carry when I wear a suit, so I make sure I'm carrying when they measure for the coat.
Good point...however my jacket looks like a tent these days, so I should have no problem there.

KaiserB
Banned

Post by KaiserB »

Texas Size 11 wrote:...

Well, as it turns out, I was carrying (since I always carry when leaving the house) and the tailor was measuring away and kept bumping around my weapon and says, looks like you are a 44 waist (I'm really a 40, fat, but not that fat), but I think I am getting hung up on something around your waist. That was a bit of an uncomfortable feeling, but I don't think he expected a Glock 22 there, but more like a cell phone or something. I told him to just get me a 40 to 42 waist and it would fit fine. I was able to get in the dressing room and try them on without my carry weapon so it was a great fit.

Moral of the story is to leave your gun in the car if somebody is throwing a tape measure around your waist. :shock:
I went to a local suit shop (the one that says you will like the way you look), and had a very different experience. I was measured for my last suit wearing an HK P2000 in an IWB holster. The great part was the tailor asked if I normally carry in that position and adjusted the suit coat cut to insure printing would not occur.

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

Pawpaw wrote:This past December I had to buy a new suit. My father passed away on a Friday morning and I wanted to be "presentable" for the viewing on Sunday and the burial on Monday.

Friday afternoon, I went to the Men's Warehouse. When the salesman was eyeballing me for size, I quietly told him I had an extra "lump of metal" on my belt and the suit needed to be tailored accordingly. It was no big deal and they took all measurements with my pistol in place, including when I tried on the pants & jacket. It was all done very discreetly and the weapon was never exposed. They had me put the pants & coat on and then he reached inside the coat when measuring my waist.

It was really a non-issue and no one would ever guess I was armed.

The only issue to me was the cost of a new suit! I got two for the price of one, but WOW!!! :shock:
The last time I got measured, at Men's Warehouse several years ago when I still wore suits to work, the gentleman doing the measuring told me to just go ahead and expose my gun, as it did not bother him or store management and they were used to it.

I didn't anyway, but the suit fit fine over a full size 1911 OWB@4:00.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

TAM:

You asked where I found the link to the LBJ suit-ordering phone call.

IIRC, it was JFK who had the taping system installed in the White House.

When LBJ became president he kept using it. He even recommended to Nixon
when he became president, that it was a great system and Nixon continued to
use it. We all know how that turned out.

Well, I knew the LBJ tapes have been transcribed by researchers and were available,
so I just did a little google-fu to get the exact link.

LBJ was a masterful, manipulative politician. He cut his political teeth on sneaking
near to his father's political meetings and listening in.

During the civil rights movement time, when Southern states were resisting with
violence, there was a really intriguing conversation between LBJ and some Southern
governor. The governor said that he had to take the racist stand with his constituents.

LBJ schmoozed him and said "You really don't want to be known as the last guy to do
this" or similar. They agreed that the governor would make his racist statements to
appear that he was holding the color line. But he agreed with LBJ that he would not
oppose the Federal troops that were being ordered to the scene.

SIA

Jasonw560

Post by Jasonw560 »

SIA
LOL....I am copied the link, and sent it to his grandson, to see if he's ever heard this. He probably has.
NRA EPL pending life member

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

Topic author
Texas Size 11

Post by Texas Size 11 »

KaiserB wrote:
Texas Size 11 wrote:...

I went to a local suit shop (the one that says you will like the way you look), and had a very different experience. I was measured for my last suit wearing an HK P2000 in an IWB holster. The great part was the tailor asked if I normally carry in that position and adjusted the suit coat cut to insure printing would not occur.
No such luck for me, but it wasn't a bad experience overall. Fortunately, I won't have to wear it enough around Texas to bother. I've been in NY while wearing it...

Texas_Tactical

Post by Texas_Tactical »

SIA
Priceless.

Bullwhip

Post by Bullwhip »

The Annoyed Man wrote:

Good gravy! That is precious. Where did you find that link? I don't think I've ever be able to get the sound of LBJ describing his more intimate anatomy out of my mind. I am ruined for life.
"rlol"
There's a whole lot more Texans should know about LBJ. How'd a man with no money start out as a school teacher with no money and never have a private job and wind up a millionare?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._Evetts_Haley" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Read his books if you can find one. I didnt' know Billie Sol Estes was still alive, figured he'd have died "mysteriously" by now.

Katygunnut

Post by Katygunnut »

Bullwhip wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:

"rlol"
There's a whole lot more Texans should know about LBJ. How'd a man with no money start out as a school teacher with no money and never have a private job and wind up a millionare?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._Evetts_Haley" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Read his books if you can find one. I didnt' know Billie Sol Estes was still alive, figured he'd have died "mysteriously" by now.
Change "school teacher" to community activist and you have our current President. Being the most powerful man in the world does seem to have some material benefits over and above the $300K a year salary.

surprise_i'm_armed

Re: LBJ's wealth. Just off the top of my head, without researching further,
I believe that Lady Bird Johnson was the business brains of the family, owning
radio stations that brought in substantial advertising income.

Re: the US President's salary. I believe that the salary for this office has been
$400,000 for some time now.

SIA

Return to “Never Again!!”