It finally happened. I dropped my gun.

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Bulldog1911
Posts in topic: 2

Re: It finally happened. I dropped my gun.

Post by Bulldog1911 »

03Lightningrocks wrote:
SZINK wrote:Broke from that short of a fall?? NO good! I have dropped my G26 from chest level on the concrete floor (sounded like it went off ) and only had a small scratch...glock FTW :fire side note- have never dropped my 1911....
That is what makes Glock the best self defense pistol one can purchase. :reddevil

Really?!?!?! Not trying to get into Glock/1911 debate, but i just can't follow your logic here. The test of a good SD pistol is to drop it from your chest and see what happens? :eek6
I though maybe...fire...a couple thousand rounds down the range, checking for functionality and accuracy might be a better test.

Got me thinking...maybe I should drop my Browning .308 and see how good of a hunting rifle she is... :headscratch
The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalms 27:1

Katygunnut
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Katygunnut »

Bulldog1911 wrote:
03Lightningrocks wrote:
SZINK wrote:Broke from that short of a fall?? NO good! I have dropped my G26 from chest level on the concrete floor (sounded like it went off ) and only had a small scratch...glock FTW :fire side note- have never dropped my 1911....
That is what makes Glock the best self defense pistol one can purchase. :reddevil

Really?!?!?! Not trying to get into Glock/1911 debate, but i just can't follow your logic here. The test of a good SD pistol is to drop it from your chest and see what happens? :eek6
I though maybe...fire...a couple thousand rounds down the range, checking for functionality and accuracy might be a better test.

Got me thinking...maybe I should drop my Browning .308 and see how good of a hunting rifle she is... :headscratch
My personal opinion is that reliability is the most important factor in a SD handgun. Absolute assurance that the gun will go bang is more important to me than a slight difference in accuracy. In a SD situation, I am most likely going to be under extreme stress and firing at relatively close range. Under these conditions, there will not be much difference in effective accuracy among any modern, name brand handgun.

I'll take a gun that I know will go bang even if I abuse it somehow, or forget to keep it fully lubricated, etc.

I own 1911's for fun at the range, and for looking purty in my safe. I own Glocks for my go-to SD guns.

I have different standards for a hunting rifle, because the purpose of that weapon is completely different than the purpose of my SD weapons. For a hunting rifle, accuracy goes up quite a bit in importance.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I had an equipment change before this thread started that I didn't think about before, but might help here. I added a real gun belt a few months ago and the restroom issue is a non-issue now. The extra stiffness of the belt keeps it from tipping over while I'm sitting. Before getting the gun belt that whole situation was always a bit dicey.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

hangfour

Post by hangfour »

I know this comment will not go down with some on this forum but ... as long as things remained 'concealed' I see no problem with dropping a modern gun. The safety mechanisms will keep them from firing. Who cares if it is all scratched up as long as it shoots straight. A gun is just a tool like a wrench or screwdriver and should be treated as such. Useful for the job intended but otherwise worthless.
There is an afterlife - what we do here matters!
Kahr pm9 (mama-bear)
Kimber pro CDP II (papa-bear)
S&W 38 special airweight (baby-bear)

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

hangfour wrote:I know this comment will not go down with some on this forum but ... as long as things remained 'concealed' I see no problem with dropping a modern gun. The safety mechanisms will keep them from firing. Who cares if it is all scratched up as long as it shoots straight. A gun is just a tool like a wrench or screwdriver and should be treated as such. Useful for the job intended but otherwise worthless.
I can use a Glock to beat my meat or pound my wood into pulp. Then I can use it to drive a nail in concrete. Get locked out of the house? No problem... I can throw my Glock through the window for access. I bet it would even put out a fire. Need a coffee stirrer? No problemo... I have a Glock. A Glock is truly the Swiss Army Knife of guns! :shock:

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

03Lightningrocks wrote: I can use a Glock to beat my meat or pound my wood into pulp. Then I can use it to drive a nail in concrete. Get locked out of the house? No problem... I can throw my Glock through the window for access. I bet it would even put out a fire. Need a coffee stirrer? No problemo... I have a Glock. A Glock is truly the Swiss Army Knife of guns! :shock:
Sorry, you are totally wrong on this. Glocks are Austrian, not Swiss. I know the countries are close together, but still, there is a border between them. :mrgreen:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

lonewolf
Posts in topic: 1

Post by lonewolf »

I don't own a Glock (perhaps I will someday) so I have a 6 foot tall toolbox in the garage full of nifty little items to use instead. :biggrinjester:

I think the wife would have a coronary if she saw me hammering nails with a gun....

Can you air up bike tires with it?

I carry a small tool kit on my Harley. Probably need to replace it with a Glock..... :shock:

hangfour

Post by hangfour »

I can use a Glock to beat my meat or pound my wood into pulp. Then I can use it to drive a nail in concrete. Get locked out of the house? No problem... I can throw my Glock through the window for access. I bet it would even put out a fire. Need a coffee stirrer? No problemo... I have a Glock.
Sorry about my last post... I forgot about Glocks.
There is an afterlife - what we do here matters!
Kahr pm9 (mama-bear)
Kimber pro CDP II (papa-bear)
S&W 38 special airweight (baby-bear)

Bulldog1911

Post by Bulldog1911 »

Katygunnut wrote: reliability is the most important factor in a SD handgun. Absolute assurance that the gun will go bang
From my earlier post...
"fire...a couple thousand rounds down the range, checking for functionality"
The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalms 27:1

Katygunnut

Post by Katygunnut »

Bulldog1911 wrote:
Katygunnut wrote: reliability is the most important factor in a SD handgun. Absolute assurance that the gun will go bang
From my earlier post...
"fire...a couple thousand rounds down the range, checking for functionality"
I saw that reference and I agree that you should fire as many rounds as practical with your carry gun(s). Not just to check for functionality, but also to make sure the operation of the gun is ingrained in your muscle memory. If your gun proves to be unreliable in doing this, then definitely DO NOT carry it.

My point was that independent of anything else (including the practice referred to above), I would strongly prefer a gun that I knew would be reliable even if mistreated (dropped, kicked, left with too little or too much oil, not cleaned regularly, etc). It would not be unreasonable to include these things as part of a good test of reliability for a carry gun, at least for me. I took your initial post to criticize the idea of picking a handgun that can survive a fall and still function. My apologies if I misunderstood the point of your post.

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Sorry about the confusion concerning the country of origin. I always get my countries mixed up. Geometry was never one of my strengths. :biggrinjester:

Hammering a nail with a Glock is no problem....as long as you keep your booger picker of the bang switch. :shock:

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

lonewolf wrote: Can you air up bike tires with it?
Well, maybe not air them up, but you sure can deflate them with one. :biggrinjester:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Keith B wrote:
lonewolf wrote: Can you air up bike tires with it?
Well, maybe not air them up, but you sure can deflate them with one. :biggrinjester:
Dern it. Beat me to it by only 5 hours. Work is starting to get in the way of my forum time. ;-)
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

knljr
Posts in topic: 1

Post by knljr »

My brother in law, who is a federal LEO, suggested that if you use the bathroom while your carrying to put the weapon on your pants (in the crotch area) as they are pulled down on the floor. This is for a couple reasons. 1) You won't have the issue you had where it drops 2) You don't accidentally leave it in the aforementioned place once you've done your business.

I don't even do that with my cell phone anymore - just so I don't forget it. I stick it in a pocket if I'm not looking at it while I'm in there.
H&K P30, H&K P7, H&K P2000SK v3, Glock 36, Sig Sauer P238
US Navy 1989-1993 - C-2A Aircrew
Packet Mailed: 10/14
License in Hand: 12/6

Return to “Never Again!!”