So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
billfromtx
Posts in topic: 4

Always Carry...ALWAYS!!!!

Post by billfromtx »

I broke my own rule today...

I got home from work grabbed the grand daughter and went outside to let her play. When i changed after work I took my xd 45 off and left it on the safe in my room. Usually I stick my little smith 38 in my front pocket, this time I did not... Im at home so Im good to go right?...wrong!

After about 20 minutes of chasing my grand-daughtger around in the yard a car pulls up at my house and honks. I told my wife to watch the baby and I walk to the window of the car, I thought I knew who it was. Wrong again!
Inside was a Black mad in his late 20's who began rambling about his mother in Austin who had had a stroke and he needed $20 bucks to go see her. He kept telling me " you know me , you know me...Im the baddest dude in Town" In his lap was towel covering something I assumed was a pistol because his hand never left it. He said your going to give me $20 bucks...Anger and rage took over and I told him he was not going to get $20 bucks...he wasnt getting anything from me but hurt...I was ready to grab what he had in his lap and beat his sorry rear to death with it,,,:mad:
At the time it was not just big talk I meant every word of it knowing this situation could get very ugly and I was in a bind. I was missing my XD45 Compact real bad right then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I backed away from his car far enough to let him drive off but not far enough to keep him from grabbing what ever he was hiding if he went for it. and he said a few cuss words and drove off....

I live in a small town and this does not happen!!!!!!!! Proof enough garbage is everywhere...dont let your gaurd down and be ready...It could have been my wife or kids in the yard and things may have been different. :mad:

Even if I had had my gun thing would have went down the same, he didnt need shot. He was an obvious dope head that was looking for some help. I was just not the one to give it to him. In my little town this kind of trash just doesnt happen...Lessoned learned, I will be more prepared next time...I just got lucky!:o Thank God!!!!!!!!!!

Carry always!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
To err is human.
To forgive is divine.
Neither of which is Marine Corps policy.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Always Carry...ALWAYS!!!!

Post by RoyGBiv »

What did 911 do when you gave them the license plate and description of the car and "probable" armed person?

Glad it all turned out safely for you and yours. Lesson learned.! Thanks for sharing. :thumbs2:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Topic author
billfromtx

Post by billfromtx »

RoyGBiv wrote:What did 911 do when you gave them the license plate and description of the car and "probable" armed person?

Glad it all turned out safely for you and yours. Lesson learned.! Thanks for sharing. :thumbs2:
I did call the town police ...I did not get the license plate number. They called me back an hour after asking if I seen him again.
I should have got the lisence plate, I was irritated and not really thinking straight...
Im sure you would have got it in the same situation...cause your awesome! :tiphat:
To err is human.
To forgive is divine.

pbwalker
Posts in topic: 1

Post by pbwalker »

billfromtx wrote: Im sure you would have got it in the same situation...cause your awesome! :tiphat:
:headscratch
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

schufflerbot

Post by schufflerbot »

damn, sorry to read this. you're absolutely right though - trash is everywhere.

glad that your family is ok, make sure you're on your toes 24/7 from now on :mrgreen:

Topic author
billfromtx

Post by billfromtx »

I feel stupid for not thinking about the license plates. I was so wound up it didn't cross my mind until awhile after the idiot left.
Several lessons learned. Hard to think clear in that frame of mind.
To err is human.
To forgive is divine.

suthdj
Posts in topic: 2

Post by suthdj »

billfromtx wrote:I feel stupid for not thinking about the license plates. I was so wound up it didn't cross my mind until awhile after the idiot left.
HInd sight is 20/20 don't beat yourself up to much.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

eureka40

Post by eureka40 »

If you don't mind saying what town it was, just in case he shows up here.

:tiphat:
TSRA Life Memeber

CombatWombat

Post by CombatWombat »

That's a lesson learned, I hate that people have to be that way but you live and you learn
If a man hasn't discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live.
Martin Luther King Jr. (1929-1968)

Chuck Norris once sneezed on an 18 wheeler, the result was Optimus Prime.

Kimber Tactical Ultra II
Crimson Trace Laser grips
CrossBreed Super Tuck

gemini

Post by gemini »

I'm glad you and the family are Ok. The old saying, "carry 24/7 or guess right", are wise words indeed.
EXACTLY why campus carry should pass, employers parking lot bill needs to pass, SB905 should apply to ALL
CHL's. Sorry for the thread drift. You're right, trash is everywhere now days. And the right to defend yourself
everywhere is more important now than ever before. Stay safe.

Medic218

Post by Medic218 »

billfromtx wrote:I feel stupid for not thinking about the license plates. I was so wound up it didn't cross my mind until awhile after the idiot left.
Live and learn.
I bet you don't forget to eyeball the LP next time....

Glad y'all are all ok.
"I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders!" -- Ted Nugent
"Not everyone can be born with common sense, some are born liberals." -- M218

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

I'm glad it worked out with no harm being done. Don't kick yourself too much -- we all let our guard down a bit from time to time. The just proves the old PPPPP axiom, but you adjusted and improvized a positive outcome nonetheless. Always good to be able to learn something with no real harm done.
Last edited by Middle Age Russ on Fri May 20, 2011 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

texanron

Post by texanron »

Thanks for sharing your story with us as I'm sure we can all learn something from your incident. As others have said, try not to beat yourself up too bad over not getting the license plate. Don't worry about the Monday morning QB's either.
12/17/2010 CHL
5/21/2012 non-resident CHL

sugar land dave

Post by sugar land dave »

Thank you so much for the reminder that criminals watch for what they perceive to be a weak moment. What a slimeball to approach you as you had your grand-daughter in the yard!

I am very glad that you avoided injury at the hands of the BG. :txflag:
DPS Received Forms- 1/18/11 Online Status - 1/27/11 My Mailbox - 2/12/11
NRA Life Member

Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Glad the situation resolved okay for you. My guess is that if you pulled out your wallet, he would probably pull out his gun and tell you to give him the whole wallet.

I guess posted something for sale on Craigslist, you bet I'm going to be carrying when I sell it.

Return to “Never Again!!”