Carry ammo into courthouse

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
phrogg
Posts in topic: 1

Carry ammo into courthouse

Post by phrogg »

So this morning I have to visit the courthouse to support my wife at a case. So as is required, I disarm in the car and head on in. What I forgot was that when I emptied my pockets for the metal detectors that I was going to drop a speed loader with 357 mag hollow points into the bucket.

Fortunately, as soon as I did I pointed it out to the operator. There was first a look :shock: but then she took a closer look and said, oh, we can just check that. And your little pocketknife too. They ran it through the metal detector where it was picked up by another person. They first yelled to the second that they would have a check in. She looked at it with more shock :shock: but then asked for my name. I gave her only my first name and she picked up a baggie and a ticket. She handed me one and then put the other in the baggie.

Seemed like they knew what to do but it happens pretty infrequently. I'll see how it goes when I pick up on the way out. Sure wish I could check my weapon into a locker instead of leaving it in the car.

So it seems reasonably efficient if you carry your spare mag into a courthouse. I'm pleased by the folks here :-).
----
Welcome to Texas. If you ain't packin, you are slackin!

AEA

Re: Carry ammo into courthouse

Post by AEA »

I did the same thing in in Grayson County last March with two .45acp mags and I was told to take it back to my car! They pointed out the signs that said no firearms or explosives. They did not offer to check them for me. They simply denied me entry.

The bad part was I was parked about 3 blocks away. When I came out I looked around and saw a parking spot right at the Courthouse so I almost ran back to the car and drove it over to the new spot!
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

IIRC, in PA a courthouse has to offer lockers to check your firearm. I'd like that here.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 5

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

I carried a magazine full of .45 ammo into the Plano Municipal Court. I realized it was in my pocket after I was already standing in front of the basket. I decided to play through rather than act like a noob. I tossed the magazine into the basket with my keys and change. Went through the machine and the guy grabbing the baskets handed the basket to me without so much as a "by your leave". I reloaded my pockets and went in to hang a traffic violator who was costing me time by fighting a darned ticket instead of just taking defensive driving like everyone else. They dismissed me after I made a joke about whether or not I could give the defendent the death penalty. The judge even laughed at my little joke.

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 4

Post by sjfcontrol »

03Lightningrocks wrote:I carried a magazine full of .45 ammo into the Plano Municipal Court. I realized it was in my pocket after I was already standing in front of the basket. I decided to play through rather than act like a noob. I tossed the magazine into the basket with my keys and change. Went through the machine and the guy grabbing the baskets handed the basket to me without so much as a "by your leave". I reloaded my pockets and went in to hang a traffic violator who was costing me time by fighting a darned ticket instead of just taking defensive driving like everyone else. They dismissed me after I made a joke about whether or not I could give the defendent the death penalty. The judge even laughed at my little joke.
1) "They" tend to have an atrophied sense of humor. I know somebody who was threatened with contempt of court for making a joke during jury selection. Of course the questioning lawyer was the butt of said joke.

2) So, you're saying you would deny somebody his constitutional right to a trial by a jury of his peers, because you felt he was wasting your time? :headscratch
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

03Lightningrocks

sjfcontrol wrote:
03Lightningrocks wrote:I carried a magazine full of .45 ammo into the Plano Municipal Court. I realized it was in my pocket after I was already standing in front of the basket. I decided to play through rather than act like a noob. I tossed the magazine into the basket with my keys and change. Went through the machine and the guy grabbing the baskets handed the basket to me without so much as a "by your leave". I reloaded my pockets and went in to hang a traffic violator who was costing me time by fighting a darned ticket instead of just taking defensive driving like everyone else. They dismissed me after I made a joke about whether or not I could give the defendent the death penalty. The judge even laughed at my little joke.
1) "They" tend to have an atrophied sense of humor. I know somebody who was threatened with contempt of court for making a joke during jury selection. Of course the questioning lawyer was the butt of said joke.

2) So, you're saying you would deny somebody his constitutional right to a trial by a jury of his peers, because you felt he was wasting your time? :headscratch
Yep... keep that in mind when you want to exercise your constitutional rights over a speeding ticket in the city of Plano. You may end up with me on the jury, irritated that your trying to pull a quick one so you don't have to cough up a couple hundred bucks. :lol:

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

03Lightningrocks wrote: Yep... keep that in mind when you want to exercise your constitutional rights over a speeding ticket in the city of Plano. You may end up with me on the jury, irritated that your trying to pull a quick one so you don't have to cough up a couple hundred bucks. :lol:
Hmm, hope you're never brought to trial for exercising your gun rights (accidentally carrying ammo into a court house, for example), and some juror thinks your 2-A rights are trivial (i.e., "He's just a gun nut -- fry 'em"). If you can trivialize someone else's rights, they can trivialize yours. I presume since you were dismissed, you never heard whatever his case was. Perhaps his rights were actually violated, and he wanted to make a point of it. Since it was a jury trial, I presume he was paying a lawyer. I'd bet he was paying the lawyer as much, or more than the fine would be. I doubt he was just trying to save a couple hundred bucks.
Never Forget. Image

03Lightningrocks

sjfcontrol wrote:
03Lightningrocks wrote: Yep... keep that in mind when you want to exercise your constitutional rights over a speeding ticket in the city of Plano. You may end up with me on the jury, irritated that your trying to pull a quick one so you don't have to cough up a couple hundred bucks. :lol:
Hmm, hope you're never brought to trial for exercising your gun rights (accidentally carrying ammo into a court house, for example), and some juror thinks your 2-A rights are trivial (i.e., "He's just a gun nut -- fry 'em"). If you can trivialize someone else's rights, they can trivialize yours. I presume since you were dismissed, you never heard whatever his case was. Perhaps his rights were actually violated, and he wanted to make a point of it. Since it was a jury trial, I presume he was paying a lawyer. I'd bet he was paying the lawyer as much, or more than the fine would be. I doubt he was just trying to save a couple hundred bucks.
Most speeding ticket trials are a joke. Ticket lawyers gather many tickets at the same time and bomb the court with them hoping for relief. Thanks for your well thought out opinion, just the same.

Oh yeah... check out your local TV guide. Ticket attorneys charge 50 bucks a pop. The whole thing is a great big joke. So your other assumption is way off base as well as your analogy.

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

03Lightningrocks wrote:
sjfcontrol wrote:
Most speeding ticket trials are a joke. Ticket lawyers gather many tickets at the same time and bomb the court with them hoping for relief. Thanks for your well thought out opinion, just the same.

Oh yeah... check out your local TV guide. Ticket attorneys charge 50 bucks a pop. The whole thing is a great big joke. So your other assumption is way off base as well as your analogy.
Well, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. :tiphat:
By the way, I haven't seen a TV Guide in probably a decade. Onscreen Guides Rule! :lol:
Never Forget. Image

03Lightningrocks

sjfcontrol wrote:
03Lightningrocks wrote:
sjfcontrol wrote:

By the way, I haven't seen a TV Guide in probably a decade. Onscreen Guides Rule! :lol:
LOL.... I haven't either. I just figured the ticket lawyer adds still had to be in them. I will do this for ya. If you ever ask for a jury trial for a ticket in Plano, and there is a guy on the panel named Ron Durham, ask for me to be removed...LOL.

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

03Lightningrocks wrote:
sjfcontrol wrote:
03Lightningrocks wrote:
sjfcontrol wrote:

LOL.... I haven't either. I just figured the ticket lawyer adds still had to be in them. I will do this for ya. If you ever ask for a jury trial for a ticket in Plano, and there is a guy on the panel named Ron Durham, ask for me to be removed...LOL.
Deal! And I'll see if I can have you searched for ammunition, while I'm at it! :woohoo :lol::
Never Forget. Image

03Lightningrocks

:rolll

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

As a Minister of the Gospel the fine men at one courthouse told me my case barlow was not a weapon and I could take it and put it back in my pocket. :hurry:
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

Reloader

Post by Reloader »

Years ago, I carried my holster into the Bexar Co. Courthouse. The rent-a-cop freaKED! He called the deputy to arrest me. Deputy said, No way, he is compliant!". THE RENTER SAID i NEED TO KNOW WHERE HIS PISTOL IS DEPUTY SAID NOPE!. PROCEED THROUGH MR. DOME. WE ARE GOING TO FIRE THE RENT A COP! need more cops like him..
NRA Life Member
NRA Instructor
Amateur radio Instructor, VE KE5LDO
Tarleton State University '74

paulhailes

Post by paulhailes »

Reloader wrote:Years ago, I carried my holster into the Bexar Co. Courthouse. The rent-a-cop freaKED! He called the deputy to arrest me. Deputy said, No way, he is compliant!". THE RENTER SAID i NEED TO KNOW WHERE HIS PISTOL IS DEPUTY SAID NOPE!. PROCEED THROUGH MR. DOME. WE ARE GOING TO FIRE THE RENT A COP! need more cops like him..
Where is that like button again???

Return to “Never Again!!”