What to say after a shooting - from Massad Ayoob

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

The Mad Moderate
Posts in topic: 1

Re: What to say after a shooting - from Massad Ayoob

Post by The Mad Moderate »

Great video with lots of information. A lot of folks think about what actions to take in self defense and fail to plan on the aftermath. Was it Patton who said "if you fail to plan you plan to fail"
American by birth Texan by the grace of God

Not to be a republican at twenty is proof of want of heart; to be one at thirty is proof of want of head.
-Francois Guisot

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Excellent advice... Thanks.!!
2011-06-10_144602.jpg
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Pug

Post by Pug »

Always good to watch that for a refresher...
:thumbs2:

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

A good video. One thing that I would like to emphasize is Ayoob's comment about "one handed reholstering by feel".

During some of the holster discussions, I have always recommended a stiff holster that doesn't collapse when the gun is removed from it. This is good illustration of why I don't like holsters constructed from flimsy materials.
NRA Endowment Member

TLE2
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TLE2 »

I've seen a lot of questions about the re-holstering issue, That appears to be definitive.

Charles Cotton says approximately the same thing in his class. He added that because your adrenaline is still pumping, your ears are ringing from the event, you need to give the basic information on the scene and then, after you've had time to calm down to a steady state, and consult your attorney, you can then talk more calmly about the incident. (These are all my words, in recollection of what I remember Charles saying. And that was a while ago.).
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... (Jefferson quoting Beccaria)

... tyrants accomplish their purposes ...by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms. - Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

WildBill wrote:A good video. One thing that I would like to emphasize is Ayoob's comment about "one handed reholstering by feel".

During some of the holster discussions, I have always recommended a stiff holster that doesn't collapse when the gun is removed from it. This is good illustration of why I don't like holsters constructed from flimsy materials.
The kydex ones don't collapse. Although the leather tab at the top of my MTAC kinda folds over from my spare tire a bit when I'm wearing it empty.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

schufflerbot

Post by schufflerbot »

great video. being new to this scene, this is greatly appreciated material.

thanks for sharing!

johnson0317

Post by johnson0317 »

Great advice. I watched him give that advice in another video, and I have passed it on several times. Think about it from the LEO perspective. Someone has been shot, and the guy who seems to have done it refuses to speak. Number one, it will aggravate him. Number two, he gets to guess the scenario. It is great advice to at least steer him the right way and let him know you intend to cooperate when the time is right.

RJ
CHL Received 5/16/11
Proud Member NRA
Proud Member Texas Concealed Handgun Association
Proud Member Second Amendment Foundation
Proud Member of The Truth Squad founded by Tom Gresham. "A lie left unchallenged becomes the truth"

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Excaliber »

WildBill wrote:A good video. One thing that I would like to emphasize is Ayoob's comment about "one handed reholstering by feel".

This is an important point. All my holsters stay open for easy, fumble free one handed reholstering.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Excaliber »

TLE2 wrote:I've seen a lot of questions about the re-holstering issue, That appears to be definitive.

Charles Cotton says approximately the same thing in his class. He added that because your adrenaline is still pumping, your ears are ringing from the event, you need to give the basic information on the scene and then, after you've had time to calm down to a steady state, and consult your attorney, you can then talk more calmly about the incident. (These are all my words, in recollection of what I remember Charles saying. And that was a while ago.).
Another reason not to give a detailed statement immediately after an incident is that the effects of life threatening stress include perceptual distortions of time and distance, vision and hearing. For example, you may think you only fired 2 rounds, but investigation may show you emptied the magazine.

If you speak under these circumstances and give what you believe to be the truth at that time, it may well contradict physical evidence at the scene and the discrepancies can be used to discredit you and make you look guilty.

Your memory of the events will sharpen and fill in after at least 24 hours and one rest (sleep) cycle. You will be much better able to give an accurate account at that time.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

TLE2

Post by TLE2 »

So... this has been running around in my mind all week.

Hypothetical:

I'm involved in an incident, attacker is on the ground, "cleared" the area, call 911: What do I say?

"There's been a shooting, the perpetrator is down"

"I've been involved in a shooting incident, the perp is down"

"I was attacked"... how should you phrase it?

Do you add "send an ambulance"? I've heard that on any such call an ambulance is automatically dispatched, but that may not be true. (I've not come close enough to the attacker to know that they're still alive or not, but the attacker isn't moving.) Would it be held against you if you didn't say "send an ambulance"? (Lack of compassion).

End Hypothetical

Just thinking...
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... (Jefferson quoting Beccaria)

... tyrants accomplish their purposes ...by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms. - Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

MasterOfNone
Posts in topic: 4

Post by MasterOfNone »

"I've had to shoot someone who was trying to kill me. Send the police and an ambulance. I'm at <address>."
http://www.PersonalPerimeter.com
DFW area LTC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, Range Safety Officer, Recruiter

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

In his Self Defense seminars, Charles Cotton made another important point about the way that you
speak to 911. Although I can't repeat all the elements of this call, he made clear that when you call 911,
keep in mind that you are being recorded and that whatever you say will be played ad nauseum during
legal proceedings.

The main thing to say is "I was forced to shoot a man who was robbing me."

Do not use profanity, followed by the ethnicity of the man who you had to shoot. If you do, the BG's
defense attorney (if the BG survives) and/or the DA will use this comment to paint you as a racist who
had anger against the man's race, and that's why you shot him.

Describe him only as "a man....."

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

STG

Post by STG »

Highly suggest if you live in Texas, you take a look at Walker, Rice & Wisdom's "[Pre-paid legal service]"

After moving here from WA and getting my Texas CHL, I looked into their services. It cost me $140 bucks and is good for a year. That 140 covers you 24/7 in the state of Texas against all criminal and civil proceedings with never another cent out of your pocket.

You get a pocket card with a 24 hour number you call if you had to use your weapon. The phone will be answered by a human being regardless of the hour and you will be given counsel on what to say when the police arrive. An attorney will be with you in person as fast as they can get there.

As far as what to say when you call 911:
" My name is _________, please send the police and an ambulance to address ___________________ and the HANG UP THE PHONE. IMMEDIATELY CALL YOUR ATTORNEY and wait for the police.

I do not work for, nor have any material interest in Walker, Rice & Wisdom or the [Pre-paid legal service] program other than being a client.

I have been carrying a concealed handgun for over 18 years. I have had two encounters, 8 years apart which required the use of force. In both instances I wish to heaven I would have had representation already retained.

For whatever it's worth.

Keep your hatchets sharp!

Return to “Never Again!!”