What to say after a shooting - from Massad Ayoob

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Express
Posts in topic: 1

Re: What to say after a shooting - from Massad Ayoob

Post by Express »

good info.
I hope I don't forget in real situation.
4/22/10 CHL

Venix
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Venix »

MasterOfNone wrote:"I've had to shoot someone who was trying to kill me. Send the police and an ambulance. I'm at <address>."
I know several people have said it, but I would highly suggest against saying the words "shot and shoot." A better way would be to say that you "had to defend yourself from an attacker." Then you can make it very clear of who you are and what you are wearing so that when LEOs show up, they know who called.

Also, a good CHL class should cover this topic very well.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Venix wrote:
MasterOfNone wrote:"I've had to shoot someone who was trying to kill me. Send the police and an ambulance. I'm at <address>."
I know several people have said it, but I would highly suggest against saying the words "shot and shoot." A better way would be to say that you "had to defend yourself from an attacker." Then you can make it very clear of who you are and what you are wearing so that when LEOs show up, they know who called.

First off, welcome to the forum.

However, IMO you are best to let them know you had to shoot the individual and you are requesting EMS and Police. This will clarify up front that EMS will be dealing with a gunshot victim and will guarantee you get a much faster response by the police. Stating this is clear and to the point.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Venix
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Venix »

Keith B wrote:
Venix wrote:

However, IMO you are best to let them know you had to shoot the individual and you are requesting EMS and Police. This will clarify up front that EMS will be dealing with a gunshot victim and will guarantee you get a much faster response by the police. Stating this is clear and to the point.
Well in a "cover yourself" state of mind. I would keep the word out if at all possible.

MasterOfNone
Posts in topic: 4

Post by MasterOfNone »

Venix wrote:
Keith B wrote:
Venix wrote:

Well in a "cover yourself" state of mind. I would keep the word out if at all possible.
But leaving out the word "shot" does nothing for you because saying it provides no more information than will be discovered at the scene. It is simply a fact that will not be changed by not saying the word.
As Keith stated, the nature of the BG's wound is important to the EMTs, and the 911 operator will surely ask you who need medical attention and what is wrong with him.
http://www.PersonalPerimeter.com
DFW area LTC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, Range Safety Officer, Recruiter

boba

Post by boba »

I'm not a MD and even if I was, I don't think it would be safe to get too close to the bad guy to check him out. He may be faking. If he's immoral enough to try to rob me, I'm not going to trust him with my life.

I will call 911 and report I was attacked. The cops and EMS will get there when they get there.

ThunderChip

Post by ThunderChip »

my chl instructor made the whole class say "Officer I was in fear of my life" about 100 times in one day. He told us to say that and no more until your attorney arrives.

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Excaliber »

rp_photo wrote:
Excaliber wrote: Another reason not to give a detailed statement immediately after an incident is that the effects of life threatening stress include perceptual distortions of time and distance, vision and hearing. For example, you may think you only fired 2 rounds, but investigation may show you emptied the magazine.

If you speak under these circumstances and give what you believe to be the truth at that time, it may well contradict physical evidence at the scene and the discrepancies can be used to discredit you and make you look guilty.

Your memory of the events will sharpen and fill in after at least 24 hours and one rest (sleep) cycle. You will be much better able to give an accurate account at that time.
One would think that law enforcement would be aware of this and take it into account.
Some are, some aren't - don't count on it.

Remember their job is to gather information for the investigation and they will collect as much as they can as quickly as they can. If you say things that are detrimental to your status as a victim, even though you were under the influence of the effects of a life threatening encounter at the time and spoke what you believed to be true at that moment, that will get collected too and can cause major issues down the line.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Return to “Never Again!!”