How do you open the door at home?

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

JLaw
Posts in topic: 1

Re: How do you open the door at home?

Post by JLaw »

kjolly wrote: If the gun is not on you its too far away.

'Nuff said.

JLaw
Six for sure.

GeorgeW

Post by GeorgeW »

I can usually see who is at the door from a window by the door. But if I can't see them, we also have a security camera that shows the door as well as the exterior around the front door in case any one is in the bushes. With a stranger at the door, I'll usually have my bull dog right beside me and crack the door to see what they want.
George - Does anyone use adt security or other security systems on their home.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

You really need to be careful opening a door, you never know what danger lurks outside.

:lol:

speedsix
Posts in topic: 8

Post by speedsix »

Keith B wrote:You really need to be careful opening a door, you never know what danger lurks outside.

Image...

:lol:
...made my day...Far Side??? How do I steal that to email to some folks???

boba

Post by boba »

Remember the SNL "Land Shark" skits?

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...nope...I was on the streets every Saturday night...but I was working with animals...does that count???

NguyenVanDon

Post by NguyenVanDon »

Three years ago, I was living in an apartment with my sister and her husband. It was early Sunday morning around 3:30am and we were all asleep. All of the sudden I woke up with kicks and banging at the front door. Good thing my brother-in-law had put the deadbolt on that night. I quickly went for my G19 and ran straight into the living room and hid behind the kitchen counter. My sister and her husband woke up and I told to get back in their room and call 911 and advise them that two Hispanic males are trying kick down our door. I heard them speaking Spanish and throwing profanity saying they need to get in. At this point, I don't know if they were intoxicated, got the wrong apartment, or wanted to rob us. I told them to back off and if they break my door down I will shoot'em. Well, I believed that these guys didn't understand a lick of English, so they kept banging on my door for a good 5 mins. Eventually, the cops showed up and both guys were arrested and charged with public intoxication. Both guys also had warrants out for them. The police officer took down my info and I told them I was pretty shakin up. My sister advised the 911 dispatcher that I had a gun and when the police officer came up to me and asked me what gun I had, I told him it was G19. Out of humor, the police officer that taking my report told me to shoot them in the head if they break down my door. Grand Prairie PD are super professional and thanks for their speedy response. :txflag:
TX CHL: 2/24/07 - Present

64zebra

Post by 64zebra »

We usually know when someone is coming over or if we ordered pizza.
My son is too young to have friends coming over to ask if he can come out to play.
We have no family in town and before they make the 5 hour (minimum) trip here we always know in advance.
All that is to preface my stance/opinion on this.

If I'm not home or sleeping (work nights) the wife will look out the peephole and if she doesn't know them the door stays shut, and she has her G26 with her.
If I'm on days off and the one answering, I have a pistol on me and check the peephole and if I don't know them the door stays shut.
I don't want to waste my time with all the salesmen/women we have (and we have a bunch of door to door sales in warmer months).
I'm adding cameras all around my house that will be on a recording device and viewable on my laptop or phone as I'm in the living room, etc.
I already have non-monitored alarms on the doors, but I'm looking at a new system for doors/windows/motion that will alert me via phone first, then I can call if I want some of my fellow officers responding.
My 2 dogs are starting to come around as watch dogs (barking, alerting us) but not attacking anyone.
I've had death threats made against me at work by gangs, drug dealers, murder suspects, etc, and they are taken seriously. If I answer the door they will be face to face with me and I don't know who else is lurking, and they will confirm this is my residence.
My name/addy isn't published but that is not a 100% guarantee of anything, so I'm watching out for me and mine.
Some will say its paranoid, I think its just good practice.
LEO/CHL Certified Glock Armorer
Guns: not enough space here, but G17 duty/G30 off/S&W 642 BU
Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
If loose gun laws are good for criminals, why do criminals support gun control?

johnson0317
Posts in topic: 2

Post by johnson0317 »

I am not sure if I have related this story before. This happened when I was a travelling nurse, around 1992. I was living in Prince George's County, in Maryland. At the time, it was the car-jacking capital of the United States. If you remember the story of the lady who was dragged to death by a car-jacker, that was from my apartment complex. My company put me and my room-mate up in a very nice complex, but the drug dealers could afford it also. One night, Halloween, I had ordered pizza. The doorbell rang and I opened the door. Four young men walked right into my apartment. Trust me, they were not invited, and they were up to no good. I instinctively held up the candy dish, and they grabbed huge handfuls of candy. Something clicked in my brain and I called out, over my shoulder, "Hey, we are out of candy, bring some more out". The four young men turned and bolted. I guess the unknown in the other room, which was actually a short, young lady, was too much for them to take a chance for.

Opening that door, without looking through the peephole first, could have been a huge mistake on my part. I think God was looking out for me, cause I did just the right thing, after doing just the wrong thing. I can promise you, I do not open my door, anymore, without peeking first!
CHL Received 5/16/11
Proud Member NRA
Proud Member Texas Concealed Handgun Association
Proud Member Second Amendment Foundation
Proud Member of The Truth Squad founded by Tom Gresham. "A lie left unchallenged becomes the truth"

thatguy

Post by thatguy »

JLaw wrote:
kjolly wrote: If the gun is not on you its too far away.

'Nuff said.

JLaw
:iagree:
In the endless pursuit of perfection, we may achieve excellence.

Texas LTC and School Safety Instructor and NRA Training Counselor

boba

Post by boba »

Food for thought. viewtopic.php?f=108&t=47228" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

johnson0317 wrote:I am not sure if I have related this story before. This happened when I was a travelling nurse, around 1992. I was living in Prince George's County, in Maryland. At the time, it was the car-jacking capital of the United States. If you remember the story of the lady who was dragged to death by a car-jacker, that was from my apartment complex. My company put me and my room-mate up in a very nice complex, but the drug dealers could afford it also. One night, Halloween, I had ordered pizza. The doorbell rang and I opened the door. Four young men walked right into my apartment. Trust me, they were not invited, and they were up to no good. I instinctively held up the candy dish, and they grabbed huge handfuls of candy. Something clicked in my brain and I called out, over my shoulder, "Hey, we are out of candy, bring some more out". The four young men turned and bolted. I guess the unknown in the other room, which was actually a short, young lady, was too much for them to take a chance for.

Opening that door, without looking through the peephole first, could have been a huge mistake on my part. I think God was looking out for me, cause I did just the right thing, after doing just the wrong thing. I can promise you, I do not open my door, anymore, without peeking first!
...an exceptionally good example of thinking on your feet...

BigPa

Post by BigPa »

I live a bit out in the country. I never go to the door unarmed. My dogs always tell me if someone is outside...
http://www.rockinbsleatherworks.info/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

If I don't recognize them the pistol is in my hand behind the door frame or my hip.
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

kjolly
Posts in topic: 2

Post by kjolly »

If you don't answer the door they may assume no one home and procede with a break in. I keep a gun in the office desk next to the front door and have it in my hand behind my back when answering the door with foot forward to block the door and body bladed. There are other guns (same model) concealed at the rear of the house and in the bedroom for surprise vistors. Other guns are locked in safe. Luckly do not have childern to be concerned about as they are all grown and on their own.
Extended family have a doorbell code. I also keep my truck in the drive to advertise the house is occupied so there is little danger of them thinking the house is empty.
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Certified Trainer, IDPA
NRA Range Safety Officer

http://www.tacticalpistol.us

Return to “Never Again!!”